Show Us Your Set List

I write notes and helper notation with me in mind. That is, I know the difference between a push and a punch, a stop and a break, a pickup and an intro, etc. Or at least I know what the words mean to me! :) And when there's a song I know and the band plays it like the original, I don't need special notes at all (Johnny B Goode.) And the notes are written based my already knowing the song somewhat. Another drummer would probably have a difficult time interpreting my charts. But another drummer would be smart to make their own charts, and not rely on mine anyway.

I also use a font size large enough to read even if the sheet is on the floor.

__lilmo.jpg

Here's the setlist I use with my own trio. It's changes depending on who's in the group but this is the meat and potatoes of the night usually

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191008-143452_01.png
    Screenshot_20191008-143452_01.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 19
Here's the setlist I use with my own trio. It's changes depending on who's in the group but this is the meat and potatoes of the night usually
That list shows up tiny and blurry on my screen...
Edit: loaded clearly after a while.

Last edited:
single stroke roll
double stroke roll
paradiddle
5 stroke roll

That's about it but working on some new material for next year.

Here is ours for a gig we are playing tommorrow night.

Rock and Roll Music
She’s So Fine
Down on the Corner
Free Falling
Midnight Special
No Secrets
To Her Door
South Australia
She’s My Baby
Cunumulla Fella
Hush

JB Goode
Nutbush City Limits
Let’s Have A Party/Summertime Blues
Little Lion Man
Roller Derby Queen
Throw your Arms Around Me
Copper Head Road
The House is a Rockin’
500 Miles
Resurrection Shuffle
Honky Tonk Woman
Fortunate Son
Eve of Destruction
Rockin’ In the Free World
We’ve Got To Get Out Of This Place

I’m A Man
Maggies Farm
Rockin’ All Over The World
I’ve just seen a face
Kryptonite
Proud Mary
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
Mr Brightside
Don’t Change
Mama We’re All Crazy Now
The Times are a Changing

Encore -
Highway to Hell/Long Way to the Top
Am I Ever Gonna see your Face Again Jo
Goodbye Astrid

You're brave.
For playing with a click? Aren’t you a metal drummer? I thought all metal drummers use a click..

I wouldn’t do it in every situation but I’ve been playing with my bandmates for a long time and I trust them to stay with me.

For me it’s sort of a confidence booster, one less thing to worry about. It’s like riding a bike with training wheels. My timing is pretty good, but with the metronome it’s perfect. Worst comes to worst, I just pull the headphones out and toss them on the floor for a minute. That’s only happened once ever.

For playing with a click? Aren’t you a metal drummer? I thought all metal drummers use a click..

I wouldn’t do it in every situation but I’ve been playing with my bandmates for a long time and I trust them to stay with me.

For me it’s sort of a confidence booster, one less thing to worry about. It’s like riding a bike with training wheels. My timing is pretty good, but with the metronome it’s perfect. Worst comes to worst, I just pull the headphones out and toss them on the floor for a minute. That’s only happened once ever.

Oh I love the click and use it all the time, just not playing live. Too many things out of my control that could go wrong. Singers announcing the wrong song, guitar player not starting the announced song, cords shorting out, blah blah blah. I use it everywhere else though.

Here's the chart I made for one of my songs at church several years ago.

drumsonglist.jpg

Here's the audio for it in case anyone is interested in following along with my crazy notes:

Last edited:
Here's our latest set.
As an Excel geek, the songs, notes, duration etc are all stored in a mastersheet, then I have a separate tab where you select the song from a drop-down list, pulls over the relevant details and then calculates set lengths, highlights duplicates etc.

Fairly minimal notes as we've done a few sets now, but when I first joined some of them were multiple lines!

1578330884223.png

Similarly, big enough that I can see it from the floor. Notes for song intros if/as needed. BPM's for each song to check against Live BPM. Finally, reference numbers for programmed tempos in Tama Rhythm Watch.
CCF01062020.jpg

Here's our latest set.
As an Excel geek, the songs, notes, duration etc are all stored in a mastersheet, then I have a separate tab where you select the song from a drop-down list, pulls over the relevant details and then calculates set lengths, highlights duplicates etc.

Fairly minimal notes as we've done a few sets now, but when I first joined some of them were multiple lines!

View attachment 89360
Ha! I use a similar list. I also have columns for the year and genre just in case I want to create a specific type of set. Those are usually hidden though. I even have notes for the guitar player (i.e. what harmonica he's supposed to grab, where the capo is supposed to be, what the pedal setting is on the harmonizer...) I like Excel, how do you have the song picking tab thing set up? That sounds fun and helpful.

only notes are who starts off the song.
setlist.jpgsetlist.jpg

Ha! I use a similar list. I also have columns for the year and genre just in case I want to create a specific type of set. Those are usually hidden though. I even have notes for the guitar player (i.e. what harmonica he's supposed to grab, where the capo is supposed to be, what the pedal setting is on the harmonizer...) I like Excel, how do you have the song picking tab thing set up? That sounds fun and helpful.
Data validation on the set-list tabs, so you can only select from a drop-down list, and the list is populated by the song titles column. Conditional formatting to then show any duplicates you've added, and VLOOKUP to pull the relevant data across too.
I need to add a "songs you've not chosen yet" bit too to make it easier. Nice thought about adding years / genre.

Interesting.
I won’t post set lists from either of my bands because there’s no notes on them and therefore not really anything of interest. When I think back to the early days of my Classic Rock band I used to print the lists with the key next to each song. I’ve only just this second realised that I stopped doing that once our bass player left, he’s got a reputation for skipping from band to band and regularly will perform a couple of gigs after months of rehearsal before “moving on”. He must have needed the prompt as he was performing many of the same songs in multiple bands in different keys.
Also of interest is the number of sets and number of songs that are standard across the world and the country. In the North East of England a pub band will be expected to do “2 x 45” between 9pm ish and 11ish, so two sets of 12 to 15 songs is the expectation.

Ok... my attempt:
"CI" = Count In, when you all start together
No idea on the green text unless you're doing medleys?
Also can't figure out "J" - name of the singer that isn't TW?

Yep, CI = Count in

SD = Snare drum
CS= Cross Stick
J = one hit
Brk = Break
V = Verse
C = Chorus
TW = Thump Wack = very basic beat
Words in green are Beatles songs. This instantly gives me the tempo

Thanks for wondering.

Hmm, interesting idea... I'll do my coverband setlist (excluding some original tunes), as my other band are original songs only and will not be recognizable for anyone here.

Band: Under The Oak. Bandmembers: Vocals, 1 guitar (both rythm/lead), 1 bass, drums. No backing vocals at the moment, but it's a work in progress...

1. Candlemass - Solitude
2. Exodus - Lesson In Violence
3. Metal Church - Metal Church
3. Flotsam & Jetsam - Iron Tears
4. Tankard - Need Money For Beer
5. Exciter - Pounding Metal
6. Annihilator - Alison Hell
7. Slayer - Black Magic
8. Destruction - Mad Butcher/Bestial Invasion (medley)
9. Sodom - Agent Orange
10. Kreator - People Of The Lie
11. Overkill - In Union We Stand

Yeah... I get sweaty... :p

Here is our gig from tonight...my cowpunk/rockabilly band
IMG_2204.jpg

view from the set during the 2nd break (my 1955 Zildjians peeking through)
IMG_2203.jpg

our guitar player writes out the lists the day of, I make personal notes after setting up at the gig. This is the 2nd and 3rd set
IMG_2202.jpg

Back