Show us your Four Piece Kits.

My previous vintage kit:

151830233_10225253787191330_2492466996151977668_o.jpg

Kinda, never played that style, but I did set them up before I detailed them.

Would this count as 4 piece?

I guess I need a cocktail linkage of some sort for the pedal, also I’m in the market for couple of swivomatic cymbal arms.

View attachment 101202View attachment 101203
Very cool!
I would call that a 3/4 piece kit...so you can only play Waltz's on it. ;)
There are conversion devices still available, but I would go with a dedicated pedal for that kit. It's just easier.
Bitchin' setup, though. I like it.
I think if I were to build one of those, I'd make the floor tom so that it could fit a 14" head on top and a 16 on the bottom, then install a solid piece in the middle of the drum, to separate the top from the bottom. Finally, I'd cut some holes in each half, so the sound would be directed to the audience, better.
The separater piece would be cut down on both sides, so as to act as a connecter for the two halves.
....yeah, I like that. That's actually doable! :unsure:

Elvis

Last edited:
Interesting. So many interesting paths that lefties take when they start. I wonder if more lefties give up than righties in the early days of playing. I started 'pure' lefty from the get go but it's always a pain when playing gigs with a shared kit. For me, there is no way around swapping the hihat/snare with the floor tom/ride and playing the rack toms backwards. Happened to me shortly before COVID for a thrash metal gig.
Then have people like Phil Mickelson who is right handed for everything, but plays golf as a lefty. He learned by standing in front of his father (who is a righty) and learned to mimic the swing left handed. He also really opened up the market for left handed clubs (when he was a Titleist player his signature line was only available in lefty iteration).
Mickey Mantle learned to switch hit in the same fashion.

I hear ya.

Yea Rogers I think admittedly shied away from these cocktail outfits with their accessory mounts, due to design flaw and broken outfits, maybe warranty issues, who knows? I know they had a brief life and are rare as well.
The fact that the cocktail sets often didn't come with the much needed support leg to run down the side of floor for support, they did sell them separately.
The weight of the top heavy accessories would often succumb, inevitably damaging some component.

As for hardware, I do have in mind to get some Swivomatic pedals and cymbal arms, I sorta like my stuff to be time specific, just makes it that much more complete, but the cymbal arms are very hard to come by and pricey.

I think the popularity of the cocktail kits was short lived because of changing musical views and the rise/fall of the latin jazz craze.
I can appreciate you wanting to keep your gear "time specific" for your Rogers stuff.
I'm like that with my Ludwig kit. Everything for that kit all stems from approx. the same time, so the rest of my drums share a whole other setup.

Elvis

Ludwig Vistalite Red Concert tom kit.
Note floor tom is concert outfitted no extra holes, drilling, etc for reso...

14” 14” Acrolite 18” 24”

Sabian AA 13” Fusion hats
Sabian AAX 20” X-Plosion crash
Sabian Paragon 10” splash
Sabian HH 21” Vintage ride
Sabian AA 22” crash/ride (low post)
Sabian AA 22” Medium crash

2EDBE200-8BDB-4FB7-90CC-74948CF23901.jpeg4AC5B690-D9BA-4A28-8D5B-70BFFE1C95BB.jpeg

Updated version of the Pete Thomas DW set. The 18x22 bass drum sounded great, but was like playing golf with an orange golf ball. Yeah, you can do it, but it just isn't right. Dana Bentley had a matching 16x22 from the same era and in the same condition (date stamp only 6 months apart), so we did a straight up trade. Much more in proportion now, methinks.

6E3AF82B-727C-48D0-8606-D8E20F338509.jpeg

Try it on the two seen in the picture you posted and see what you think.
The reason I brought it up was because it brought to mind a Stewart kit I had in the first half of the 90's after a friend asked me to join his band (I hadn't played in about 3 years at that point).
It was a 3 piece but the guy found a 16" Ludwig floor tom and threw it in for no cost ( ? ).
Each tom only had batter heads. I never got the stuff to put bottom heads on it, because I wasn't too sure how this "band" was going to go.
All the heads needed replacing. I found coated Uno 58's for 99 cents and a pack of Remo O-Rings were only a couple of bucks more. The bass got a clear CS black dot, but what to do with the toms? ?
I thought about Pinstripes, but the guy at the music store (who was really cool. I'd dealt with him before) said he had a slight overstock on Evans Hydraulic heads and asked if I wanted a couple. I figured, ok I'll give it a shot, so he gave me a deal on a couple of blue Hydro's and I was off.
I'm not much for twin ply heads. I never met an Emperor I liked (and I've tried many!) and even Fiberskyns sometimes get on my nerves (although they make great BD heads!), but the blue Hydraulic's really impressed me, Tuned up easy and I didn't need to add any tape. They had a good amount of "built-in" muffling but also had some life to them and they felt good under the stick...plus you get that Whumpy sound that only Hydraulics can produce.
Other than Pinstripes, they're the only other twin ply head I've been able to live with.
My drums were smaller than yours (mine was 20-12-16-14x4) so I bet they'll work really nicely on your kit.
Blues are a little lighter than than Red's. Don't know about the other colours.
Good luck.

Elvis

3pc 2011 GreTsch Custom USA 14x18bd, 8x12 tom, 14x14 floortom Vintage build out at my request and GreTsch 125th Anniversary 3.75x14 Vinyard snare all in Champagne Sparkle.
All drums signed to me by Mr. Fred Gretsch.
I have some photos that aren't good so I'll finish the post here and post some good photos tomorrow.

I also have a 4pc... just the shellpack:
... 1959 GreTsch Progressive Jazz with a Special Order 5.5x14 snare in Gold Sparkle. I bought them from an original owners' family member in 2009.GS GRETSCH OCT 28 2015 (14) (Large) (Custom)-1.JPG20210222_174558.jpg20210222_174659.jpg20210222_174747.jpg20210222_174828.jpg20210222_180507.jpg20210222_175013.jpg

Last edited:
I remember years ago playing a club with a 4 piece and while on break some local rushes up to me and says dude! I rate you a close second! in town!..only because I didn't have as many drums as his first choice. I just said thanks for the compliment that's great.

3pc 2011 GreTsch Custom USA 14x18bd, 8x12 tom, 14x14 floortom Vintage build out at my request and GreTsch 125th Anniversary 3.75x14 Vinyard snare all in Champagne Sparkle.
All drums signed to me by Mr. Fred Gretsch.
I have some photos that aren't good so I'll finish the post here and post some good photos tomorrow.

View attachment 101406
Kona, you've got some great sets!
Thanks for sharing them with us.
I like that stand too, although it appears a bit heavy.
Is that a Gretsch stand or something you pieced together?
The legs remind me of my old Gibraltar 9500 series cymbal stand.

Elvis

Back