Show us your Four Piece Kits.

Mr Farkle

My Sonor Bop SE with Dream cymbals (15" hats, 22" gorilla ride):

View attachment 100772

For an inexpensive poplar kit, the 12" & 14" toms sound incredible with Evans G1s on them. Beautiful tone, amazing sustain.

I have the same kit, same finish. I recently upgraded the hoops to 2.3mm Gibraltar hoops. They’re a bit nicer finish and they seem to make tuning easier. It‘s a great sounding kit, as you mentioned.

Sakae2xBopster

I recently upgraded the hoops to 2.3mm Gibraltar hoops.

I put Gibraltar hoops on the snare. But the toms sound so good with the stock 1.6 mm hoops I haven't changed them yet. I don't want to mess with a good sound! I'm not a heavy hitter so it seems to work fine as is for now.

Mr Farkle

I put Gibraltar hoops on the snare. But the toms sound so good with the stock 1.6 mm hoops I haven't changed them yet. I don't want to mess with a good sound! I'm not a heavy hitter so it seems to work fine as is for now.
I had that same concern! Thankfully they still sound great. I only changed mine because I really like the kit and the tom hoops were cheap looking (to me). Purely ascetics, although it turned out that they’re now easier to tune up, but no discernible sound change. I’m not trying to convince you. Just sharing my story. These are great little kits. I very rarely see them for sale second hand. They’re keepers.

Ransan

Though Fat Tuesday was yesterday:

Rogers Holiday in Sparkling Mardi Gras Pearl

13” 14” snare 16” 22”

Sabian AA 13” Fusion hats
Sabian AA 22” Medium crash
Sabian HH 21” Vintage ride

9DCBC4B9-4FC9-4F29-BD89-7BFFA70CC953.jpeg

C3BEE7BA-3A3E-4EFC-968D-897EA8AFDEDE.jpeg

Excuse the mess - wife is out of town so I’m getting ready to stage my Pearl in our dining area as well. ?

Last edited:

Elvis

Silver Member
Ransan,

AWESOME KITS!!!!!! (adopt me...please ;) )
I like how you do a Ringo-style cymbal setup on that Rogers kit.
Very cool.
Thanks for sharing your kits with us.
The pleasure was all ours. (y)

Elvis

Ransan

Ransan,

AWESOME KITS!!!!!! (adopt me...please ;) )
I like how you do a Ringo-style cymbal setup on that Rogers kit.
Very cool.
Thanks for sharing your kits with us.
The pleasure was all ours. (y)

Elvis
Yessr - Thank you for the very kind comment - much appreciated my friend!

The Rogers kit is really neat.
It has an additional knobby (upper) on the floor to mount an accessory or maybe even a small splash, for support, the floor has 3 interior re-rings, near upper and lower bearing edge, and one in the middle.
The floor is actually an Astoria cocktail outfit (see below).

13C4580B-0222-4C18-A140-EC1F99DD7850.jpeg

As for model, (which were primarily based on attachment configuration) I believe I have the Celebrity model as there 3 collets on bass, 1 collet for tom, and 2 collets for cymbal arms.

I may have just one more tomorrow.

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
My previous vintage kit:

151830233_10225253787191330_2492466996151977668_o.jpg

Elvis

Silver Member
Kinda, never played that style, but I did set them up before I detailed them.

Would this count as 4 piece?

I guess I need a cocktail linkage of some sort for the pedal, also I’m in the market for couple of swivomatic cymbal arms.

View attachment 101202View attachment 101203
Very cool!
I would call that a 3/4 piece kit...so you can only play Waltz's on it. ;)
There are conversion devices still available, but I would go with a dedicated pedal for that kit. It's just easier.
Bitchin' setup, though. I like it.
I think if I were to build one of those, I'd make the floor tom so that it could fit a 14" head on top and a 16 on the bottom, then install a solid piece in the middle of the drum, to separate the top from the bottom. Finally, I'd cut some holes in each half, so the sound would be directed to the audience, better.
The separater piece would be cut down on both sides, so as to act as a connecter for the two halves.
....yeah, I like that. That's actually doable! :unsure:

Elvis

Last edited:

someguy01

Interesting. So many interesting paths that lefties take when they start. I wonder if more lefties give up than righties in the early days of playing. I started 'pure' lefty from the get go but it's always a pain when playing gigs with a shared kit. For me, there is no way around swapping the hihat/snare with the floor tom/ride and playing the rack toms backwards. Happened to me shortly before COVID for a thrash metal gig.
Then have people like Phil Mickelson who is right handed for everything, but plays golf as a lefty. He learned by standing in front of his father (who is a righty) and learned to mimic the swing left handed. He also really opened up the market for left handed clubs (when he was a Titleist player his signature line was only available in lefty iteration).
Mickey Mantle learned to switch hit in the same fashion.

Ransan

I hear ya.

Yea Rogers I think admittedly shied away from these cocktail outfits with their accessory mounts, due to design flaw and broken outfits, maybe warranty issues, who knows? I know they had a brief life and are rare as well.
The fact that the cocktail sets often didn't come with the much needed support leg to run down the side of floor for support, they did sell them separately.
The weight of the top heavy accessories would often succumb, inevitably damaging some component.

As for hardware, I do have in mind to get some Swivomatic pedals and cymbal arms, I sorta like my stuff to be time specific, just makes it that much more complete, but the cymbal arms are very hard to come by and pricey.

Elvis

Silver Member
I think the popularity of the cocktail kits was short lived because of changing musical views and the rise/fall of the latin jazz craze.
I can appreciate you wanting to keep your gear "time specific" for your Rogers stuff.
I'm like that with my Ludwig kit. Everything for that kit all stems from approx. the same time, so the rest of my drums share a whole other setup.

Elvis

Ransan

Ludwig Vistalite Red Concert tom kit.
Note floor tom is concert outfitted no extra holes, drilling, etc for reso...

14” 14” Acrolite 18” 24”

Sabian AA 13” Fusion hats
Sabian AAX 20” X-Plosion crash
Sabian Paragon 10” splash
Sabian HH 21” Vintage ride
Sabian AA 22” crash/ride (low post)
Sabian AA 22” Medium crash

2EDBE200-8BDB-4FB7-90CC-74948CF23901.jpeg4AC5B690-D9BA-4A28-8D5B-70BFFE1C95BB.jpeg