Show us your Four Piece Kits.

53Rockets

Ahh, nice. I just picked up a 50's 24" kick to go with my Gretsch kit and my drum guy suggested clamp on spurs instead of drilling through the 3 ply shell. Thought you also had the clamp ons....

acsunda

Ahh, nice. I just picked up a 50's 24" kick to go with my Gretsch kit and my drum guy suggested clamp on spurs instead of drilling through the 3 ply shell. Thought you also had the clamp ons....
I thought about it, but I was concerned about possibly damaging the hoop.

Elvis

Silver Member
What if you got disappearing spurs and mounted them in the front hoop?
...just an idea I've had rolling around in my head for a while now....might wanna check to see if you have room, first. =)

Elvis

Last edited:

53Rockets

Do the disappearing spurs need holes drilled? That's probably a stupid question...his suggestion was mostly just to avoid drilling through the shell. I'll definitely try the clamp on's first. If they don't seem stable i'll have to look at drilling.

Elvis

Silver Member
Yes, you'd have to drill through the hoop.
I was just thinking that with a thin shelled drum, like an old 3-ply, there's not much mass there. The hoops are much thicker and can help handle the forces those spurs would see, as one plays their kit.
So yes, it eliminates drilling through the shell, but it also lends to attaching the spurs to a more stable piece of wood.
...fringe benefit....with the drum being supported by the pedal at the rear and hoop-mounted spurs at the front, the shell would literally be free-floating.

Elvis
P.S. Make sure you attach the clamp-on's tightly. They're known to slip sometimes.