Show us that one cymbal you just couldn’t live without

I wish I could send you an Amazon link so you could get one. But that’s the downside of Vintage cymbals, the really good ones can be super hard to find.

that would be cool!! I already have a set of 1948 Zildjians, and the 55's that were my dads, so I hear ya about the rarity, and being lucky to have one!

I'm disappointed no Spizzichino cymbals-now he's passed they will be even more collectible. I've got three or four and I was thinking of selling them. ROFL NOT!!!!!!! I'd like to just see one in person and hear it in person. See what all the hoopla is about. But dang after I'd spent 2,500 dollars or more for a cymbal I don't think I could play it and it would just hang on a wall-which seems a sin.

Zildjian K Custom Dry Complex Ride II 22".

I stumbled across this just browsing the cymbal section at a local music store. These are no longer in production and they tend to be sought-after, so I assumed it was used. Turns out, it was brand new and sitting there for years. I immediately snatched it up. It has (at least temporarily) replaced my K Constantinople Medium Ride as my primary ride cymbal for small-group acoustic music. It has no bell sound to speak of, but it seems like you can get a myriad of different sounds out of it just by slightly varying where you strike the bow. Complex, indeed.

Can't say much else than my beloved 22" Paiste 2002 Rock Bell Ride. Only in production for a few years in the mid 2000's (when they incorporated the Dimension Power cymbals into the 2002 line). It's the oldest cymbal I have on my kit at the moment. Many drummers offered me a high price for that ride, but I don't want to sell it, ever I think. Close to unwashable though, just pure ping and an awesome piercing bell.

Runner-ups would be my 15" 2002 Sound Edge Hats and 18" Rude Thin Crash.

20171007_142211.jpg

Last edited:
Can't say much else than my beloved 22" Paiste 2002 Rock Bell Ride. Only in production for a few years in the mid 2000's (when they incorporated the Dimension Power cymbals into the 2002 line). It's the oldest cymbal I have on my kit at the moment. Many drummers offered me a high price for that ride, but I don't want to sell it, ever I think. Close to unwashable though, just pure ping and an awesome piercing bell.

Runner-ups would be my 15" 2002 Sound Edge Hats and 18" Rude Thin Crash.

View attachment 90092

Nice looking set up!!!

I gotta get some Rudes...having been raised on early 80's metal, I can't believe I have never owned one.

I use a lot of different cymbals and have owned dozens and dozens and I really don’t have one go to cymbal as one cymbal doesn’t cover all the applications I need them for .
Closest I have to a go to cymbal is a 20” Paiste 602 Medium ride . It is IMHO the nicest crashable true ride cymbal made today .it has the perfect Paiste shimmer , a very pretty stick sound and it crashes beautifully .

Last edited:
Istanbul Agop Matt Chamberlain Signature 23" Ride.
It has the sound I've been chasing in my head for a ride cymbal for five decades. This is more then just the brand/model/size. I was looking at a number of Matt Chamberlain 23" Rides for several years but was never quite content with their sound until I located this exact cymbal on a video demo featuring four MC Signature Rides. I thought this one might be it. I set up an appointment with Memphis Drum Shop to audition it. It literally exceeded my expectations. It was like finding the Holy Grail I've been searching for all these years. Snagged it!View attachment 90053
Not to hijack the thread, thought you may like this piece of trivia, This bass drum was Matt Chamberlains I believe and could be the first 26" Johnny built....

Attachments

• IMG_9258.jpg
    IMG_9258.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 8
My 21" Sabian HH Vanguard.

A lovely cymbal, lovely wash to it and a great, woody stick definition. Great as a crash too. Very light and quite thin but feels a lot heavier under the stick.

The perfect all round ride, for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hooray, another opportunity to recommend the fantastic Cymbal & Gong Holy Grail cymbals: http://www.cymbalistic.com/

As soon as I got the first one, my previous favorites (K Con and Istanbul Mehmet) were out the door. If you're looking for a great sounding cymbal for Jazz or similar styles, I can't recommend them enough!

9qbhnf7b.jpg

Cymbal and Gong are great, I played a selection at a drum show and was blown away. Lovely cymbals.

Congrats

For me, it's my flat ride. It's the only cymbal that I feel some connection to, will never sell it, and have found the most uses for in the music I play. It a Zildjian K Constantinope 20" flat ride.
I've been talking about buying a flat ride since I first heard Now He Sings, Now He Sobs about 25 years ago. What the heck am I waiting for? Your cymbal sounds great.

Reactions: TJK
21 inch Sabian HH Vintage ride, I removed the labels with acetone. Crashes nicely, meaty bell, and a widest variety of 'ride' sounds I;ve foudn in a ride, depending where you play it on the bow, from dark shimmer to very bright.

Attachments

• sabian hh ride21.JPG
    sabian hh ride21.JPG
    892.5 KB · Views: 3
man....me too. I should have bought a Flat Ride AND an Earth Ride back in the 80,s....

I find it interesting that the vast majority of favorite cymbals posted have been rides.
When I discovers the PST-X series, all the “light” cymbals became faves. Bandmates were not so enthusiastic.

531A29E7-C6AB-4255-AFE1-AD02029CF952.jpeg

Back