Show us a drum you “tricked out” or modified from stock

cdrums21

Gold Member
I don’t have anything special to show. I changed the strainer on my black beauty from a P85 to a P88AC. Also installed DW true hoops top and bottom and new Ludwig 20 strand snare wires attached with grosgrain ribbon. Something about the Ludwig snare wires just sounds right on Ludwig snares. Gibraltar floating floor tom feet for my 16” and 18” floor toms. Everything else is stock.
 
Last edited:

C.M. Jones

Well-known member
I don't have a compelling history of customizing my kits. I also play only Pearl, so my hardware and what not hasn't been terribly varied over the years. Here are my only two modifications:

I. I've restored to virgin status any bass drums I've acquired with tom mounts.

II. I've always removed Pearl's mount systems from toms and placed them in snare stands. (I always play a one-up, one-down configuration.)
 

C.M. Jones

Well-known member
[QUOTE="C.M. Jones, post: 1708070, member: 52561
II. I've always removed Pearl's mount systems from toms and placed them in snare stands. (I always play a one-up, one-down configuration.)
"I forgot about that. I got a non-drilled 13x9 tom and place it in a snare basket as well. Looks cool and I made some homemade resonance pads to help the drum float on a cushion of flexible plastic tubing. Works well. No choking off tonality at all."
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been using a snare stand as my tom mount for years. I love the look and the convenience. As for resonance, I've heard guys complain that the stand chokes the tom, but I've never found that to be debilitating. Of course, I like more attack than sustain from toms, so I'm not one to protest if my toms don't sing as much.
 

Local Oaf

Well-known member
Not quite a mod, but once I sat down at my kit and found chocolate handprints from my then two year old daughter on the batter head of my vintage gretsch snare. I never ended cleaning it off because I plan on replacing it anyway soon. The snare head. Not the daughter.
 

Jasta 11

Well-known member
There is a thread called here titled The Drum Modification Thread. Check that one out, there is some good stuff on it.
 

RickP

Gold Member
This Black Beauty was originally with chrome Imperial lugs , chrome hoops and chrome tension rods and P-85 strainer and no engraving When I bought it . I decided to get it engraved , swapped out all the chrome hardware and added a brass P-86 strainer and Butt . I also added the reissue Fiberglas style stay-way bumper . This Snare has a ton of sentimental value .
 

Attachments

  • CEDA92A7-8F72-4897-A317-3AC47F3C9AB7.jpeg
    CEDA92A7-8F72-4897-A317-3AC47F3C9AB7.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 12
  • C1192F12-438E-4719-90F6-1FE33340E50F.jpeg
    C1192F12-438E-4719-90F6-1FE33340E50F.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 9FE5A3A4-4853-46D0-A886-C8DBB5C1A15B.jpeg
    9FE5A3A4-4853-46D0-A886-C8DBB5C1A15B.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 11

cdrums21

Gold Member
There is a thread called here titled The Drum Modification Thread. Check that one out, there is some good stuff on it.
Yeah, didn't think of that. My bad. Thanks for directing me to that page!
 

Dirtysticks

Senior Member
This drum started life as a 60’s Premier 14x8 Tom. 3 ply African Mahogany with Beech reinforcement rings. Sounds insanely good. I leave the old mount on because I like the mojo!
102E7DB7-5F17-4366-9BF7-855DE1C1E2C9.jpegB19847C8-BE1E-40B7-A690-F7803DFB310B.jpeg603FC805-CCFF-450E-B7DB-6A8FEDD9F4FD.jpeg47CECEBD-1B2E-4903-89EF-F267AEE22B6D.jpeg8A58C1F7-3F62-419D-912F-3561F5AB1A2E.jpeg
 

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I had a Pearl Brass Freefloater almost identical to this one. It was worn and tired and could not be restored. $50 to powdercoat the shell and hardware gave it a very unique look.

- It it did change the sound as the shell is thicker now. I would say it is dryer. Not a ton, but a bit.

- Be careful with hoops, diecast can warp very easy if you powder them.



PearlFFS2.jpgrsz_1sam_0296.jpg
 

Dirtysticks

Senior Member
Upgraded the wires and hoops on this Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14 with Lacebark Pine Veneer.
C12A74D6-6EB8-4351-A352-8737771FE3C0.jpegC05C8689-BB5A-4CCB-8785-0FAA68E4C3F8.jpeg168A2C14-E682-4CF0-B696-29E23DAD1202.jpegD591E557-169E-4C17-8314-0083F5F28834.jpegE3DA437D-0676-48A1-BE4C-A8AA101017AC.jpeg396F6D09-C2CC-4ECE-AC87-8463A6202E92.jpeg
 

Stroman

Platinum Member
I guess it depends on what you call mods. I have done finish work on a Ludwig snare and a Tama drum set. And I installed a tom mount and XLR jack for internal micing on my Ludwig bass drum.

EDIT - the pics are out of order, but the first image is the "before" Tama kit, and the last is the "after." The Ludwig 402 was powder coated in a hammered type finish, which, BTW, totally bitched up the sound for me. :/
 

Attachments

  • 004s.JPG
    004s.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3180.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG
    988 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Tama Silverstar Refinish.jpg
    Tama Silverstar Refinish.jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

johnwesley

Silver Member

microkit

Senior Member
Lyra 14x9 eBay snare which I believe is a stencil marching snare. Gibraltar die casts, drilled the snare side holes for snare cord (got the hoops for free), finished with wipe-on poly (originally was a red glass wrap that was completely trashed), modern strainer and butt...had to get whatever would fit the factory holes.
 

Attachments

  • Lyra Snare.jpg
    Lyra Snare.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Lyra Snare 2.jpg
    Lyra Snare 2.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 9

Rotarded

Senior Member
Started as a brand new LB402B Chrome over Brass Supraphonic. Swapped all the hardware to copper plated.
 

Attachments

  • Copper lb402b.jpg
    Copper lb402b.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 5
Top