Show off your Yamahas!

dmacc_2

That looks great dmacc, and what a fine stable of snares! You're ready for anything with that selection. Well done!
Thank you!

Very nice! I am evaluating to buy that exact same kit at a good price, but I am hesitating because of the 20" bass drum! Can you give me an opinion?
I actually purchased it because of the 20" bass drum. Absolutley no regrets, but then again, I don't play 22's any longer. I find the 20 much easier to work with in terms of tom height, etc... Do you have a particular concern or question on the 20?

sacco

I actually purchased it because of the 20" bass drum. Absolutley no regrets, but then again, I don't play 22's any longer. I find the 20 much easier to work with in terms of tom height, etc... Do you have a particular concern or question on the 20?
Thanks for your answer. Lately I have been mostly playing 22" bass drums (Tamburo stave, 16" and 18" deep), and I like very much their power and their fullness. The last 20" bass drum I played on a regular basis was a Slingerland in the late seventies / early eighties (sic!), and I barely remember how it sounded. What I would like to know is how powerful and full you consider your 20", and how much difference you see - if any - with a 22".

dmacc_2

Thanks for your answer. Lately I have been mostly playing 22" bass drums (Tamburo stave, 16" and 18" deep), and I like very much their power and their fullness. The last 20" bass drum I played on a regular basis was a Slingerland in the late seventies / early eighties (sic!), and I barely remember how it sounded. What I would like to know is how powerful and full you consider your 20", and how much difference you see - if any - with a 22".
This is obviously just my opinion and not fact.

I honestly have always felt the 20" is the most versatile of all sizes. It can go small, it can go big. It can provide a heck of a punch or it can provide am open round sound. I've had the 20" tuned in both directions and it delivers in every and all aspect (on my terms) but mostly I keep as an open round sound. While it can (and has) been done for many, many years, I don't think a 22" does the open thing quite as well. That said, I did keep my 22" RC wide open and it did work. I just don't think it does it quite as well as the 20".

The combo I enjoy most is a coated EQ3 batter with the stock reso front head. Nothing else inside the drum. I use a Gary Chaffee bd muffler on the front reso with only one of the two pads barely touching the head to help with the sustain control for finishing touch. The other pad is lifted away from the head entirely.

I have not yet recorded the drum either closely mic'd or otherwise so I can not provide much help on that.

One1

Since this thread is still alive I’ll add mine incase you don’t see another set anywhere ever. 2007 Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau Fade Raven Black. I’ve only found 2 on the internet. One pic with flash, one without. Under average light it’s black and hence “fade” the top half is solid black making it different from the other green sets that are just smoked green. What does that mean? Not a damn thing, there just aren’t any around. Lol.

The setup:
Toms - Evans coated G2 heads. Snare - Evans Power Center Reverse Dot front and Evans 300 hazy rear. Bass - Evans EMAD2 Back & Evans EQ3 Resonant front. Cymbals - Sabian B8 16” thin crash - Sabian B8 20” ride - Sabian B8 14” high hats. 2007 YAMAHA Stage Custom Advanced Nouveau in Fade Raven Black. 22” bass - 16” floor tom - 12” high tom - 10” high tom - 14” snare. 700 series YAMAHA hardware DS840U seat - HS740 high hat - CS745 cymbal (x2) - SS740 snare

Attachments

Last edited: