Show off your TAMA !

Hi, I’m looking for some information/history on a set of Tama Artstar II drums that I got off craigslist. The virgin toms are 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x13, 16x15, and have square, single-point snare lugs (instead of the long triangular lugs). The bass drum is 20x18, and has round, single-point snare lugs. All drums are finished in a kind of pearlescent off-white lacquer finish. Everything appears to be original except for the tom brackets, and the bass drum tension rods (most of the T-rods were bent when I bought it). The serial numbers are:

8x8 - 014803
10x8 - 014821
12x9 - 014806
14x13 - 014804
16x15 - 014807
20x18 - 014808

IMG_20180926_174145_02.jpg

IMG_20180926_174230_01.jpg

IMG_20180926_174239.jpg

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I'm wondering why the badges on the two smaller toms are on upside down.

I'm wondering why the badges on the two smaller toms are on upside down.

They're not. They just look low because that empty space above them is where the tom brackets usually go.

*edit: Now I'm thinking that you may be referencing the fact that the RIMS mounts are mounted on the bottoms of the toms. I mount them like that so I can get the batter heads closer together when using multiple toms up front.

Attachments

• Artstar II tom.jpg
    Artstar II tom.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:
" Now I'm thinking that you may be referencing the fact that the RIMS mounts are mounted on the bottoms of the toms. I mount them like that so I can get the batter heads closer together when using multiple toms up front.[/QUOTE]

I have read of other drummers doing this. Are there any negative effects to doing this? I have been considering this myself and would appreciate some advice.

I have read of other drummers doing this. Are there any negative effects to doing this? I have been considering this myself and would appreciate some advice.

I've done this with many kits over the years, and have never had any issues, or noticed any difference in sound/resonance. I've never tried it on anything deeper than 10", so I'm not sure how well it works on deeper toms.

They're not. They just look low because that empty space above them is where the tom brackets usually go.

*edit: Now I'm thinking that you may be referencing the fact that the RIMS mounts are mounted on the bottoms of the toms. I mount them like that so I can get the batter heads closer together when using multiple toms up front.

either way, in the photo of the two toms stacked, one is up one is down compared to the mounts, unless you are saying you alternate mounts?

either way, in the photo of the two toms stacked, one is up one is down compared to the mounts, unless you are saying you alternate mounts?

I only put the RIMS on the bottom of rack toms (shallow), so I can squeeze them closer together. I have the RIMS on the top of the 14" and 16" because they're really deep. I feel like putting the RIMS on the bottom of such deep drums might cause some balance issues, since the position of the mounting bracket would make the drum top-heavy. Also, I don't need to bottom mount because I don't ever use two "floor" toms side-by-side, so rim proximity isn't an issue.

A guy posted those up on Ghostnote and Pearl Drummers Forum a few months back. Best he figured was that they were a custom order for an endorser of Tama back in the day. Unfortunately Ghostnote is dead and PDF is being serviced right now so I can't point you towards the threads.

A guy posted those up on Ghostnote and Pearl Drummers Forum a few months back. Best he figured was that they were a custom order for an endorser of Tama back in the day. Unfortunately Ghostnote is dead and PDF is being serviced right now so I can't point you towards the threads.

That was me. But I never got any solid info in that thread. Just a lot of speculation. So I thought maybe it would be seen by more Tama folks in here.

Picked up this kit yesterday from a nice guy in Philadelphia. Starclassic B/B, 9x12, 16x16, 18x22. The kit needs a good cleaning, but the drums sound incredible, even without installing new heads. Hard to see in the pics, but color is walnut fade. Already in love with this kit. Feels great to be playing Tama again!

Attachments

• 8F38B589-0CC9-4935-9F6B-C79D490A1B45.jpeg
    8F38B589-0CC9-4935-9F6B-C79D490A1B45.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 504
That was me. But I never got any solid info in that thread. Just a lot of speculation. So I thought maybe it would be seen by more Tama folks in here.

You probably know this... Chris Layton often mounted his rack toms that way. Quite a few photos of him online playing Fibes and Tama kits with the tom mounts attached to the lower lugs.

Looking at the photos, I assumed it was to keep the top rim clear for mic clips.

You probably know this... Chris Layton often mounted his rack toms that way. Quite a few photos of him online playing Fibes and Tama kits with the tom mounts attached to the lower lugs.

Looking at the photos, I assumed it was to keep the top rim clear for mic clips.

That's definitely another benefit of mounting like this.

Hey all !

Here's a recent snap playing a swing gig at a biker festival . I know, strange mix ..

Tama SLP fat spruce kit , 20,12,14 with a 70's acrolite snare .
Cymbals are Murat Diril mosaic .

Attachments

• IMG_20181007_001800_207.jpg
    IMG_20181007_001800_207.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 448
Picked up this kit yesterday from a nice guy in Philadelphia. Starclassic B/B, 9x12, 16x16, 18x22. The kit needs a good cleaning, but the drums sound incredible, even without installing new heads. Hard to see in the pics, but color is walnut fade. Already in love with this kit. Feels great to be playing Tama again!

Congratulations on the kit, Gish. I've always wanted a Starclassic B/B kit. I love the beautiful finishes they have, and the cast hoops simply seal the deal. Maybe one of these days.

GeeDeeEmm

Congratulations on the kit, Gish. I've always wanted a Starclassic B/B kit. I love the beautiful finishes they have, and the cast hoops simply seal the deal. Maybe one of these days.

GeeDeeEmm

Thank you sir! I must admit, I am really digging this kit. I was having some remorse about selling my Saturn kit several months back but this kit has cured that. I am playing the drums as they are for the time being; I will disassemble and give it a thorough cleaning along with new heads sometime between Christmas and New Years, when I’ll have some down time. I’ll post some better pics when she’s clean and shiny.

Just back from a little road trip to swap my Tama Starphonic Maple Burl for a Tama Starphonic Nickel over Brass.
Not had chance to give it a whirl yet but a little fettling & it sounds awesome :) Very pleased. I did the swap as I already have two other Maple Snare's & wanted a Brass Snare for a different sound :)
Untitled by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

Superstar Classic Maple in Cherry Wine. I bought them new a few months ago and I'm in love. I'd always played vintage Ludwig kits up to this point, but made a significant change and don't regret it one bit. I'm still trying to figure out my favorite head combo.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1560221396209.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560221396209.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 94
  • FB_IMG_1560221399130.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560221399130.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 94
  • FB_IMG_1560221412242.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560221412242.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 88
  • FB_IMG_1560221415061.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560221415061.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 83
I posted this kit before but this picture looks really good. So I had to post it again. 2003 Tama starclassic performer Birch

FB_IMG_1573044550753.jpg

Back