Show Off your SONOR DRUMS.

Hey forum!

New member from Germany here, have been reading quietly by now, dropped a joke into the drummers jokes thread a couple of days ago and felt like starting to show off my gear today. More to come, will write an introduction as soon as my studio complex is built (which has priority atm) and might drop some pics into the DW show off these days. But let's start with my little crack baby :cool: :love:

My SONOR Artist Series AS12 1406 CM

Unboxing...
View attachment 98066

In The Set
View attachment 98067

Portrait
View attachment 98068

Companionship
View attachment 98069

This is the most beautyful and best sounding snare drum I ever owned, really looking forward to move my stuff out of the living room (!) to the studio to give this awesome setup a real test - as soon as it's built, which is hopefully the case this year - after 1.5 yrs build time. Drums are sitting here occupying space for about 1 yr. Well, to be honest my wife doesn't mind and I think it's the very best type of room decoration I can imagine ?

Cheers, Markus
Great looking snare and kit. Welcome to the forum!

Hey forum!

New member from Germany here, have been reading quietly by now, dropped a joke into the drummers jokes thread a couple of days ago and felt like starting to show off my gear today. More to come, will write an introduction as soon as my studio complex is built (which has priority atm) and might drop some pics into the DW show off these days. But let's start with my little crack baby :cool: :love:

Unboxing...
View attachment 98066

In The Set
View attachment 98067

Portrait
View attachment 98068

Companionship
View attachment 98069

This is the most beautyful and best sounding snare drum I ever owned, really looking forward to move my stuff out of the living room (!) to the studio to give this awesome setup a real test - as soon as it's built, which is hopefully the case this year - after 1.5 yrs build time. Drums are sitting here occupying space for about 1 yr. Well, to be honest my wife doesn't mind and I think it's the very best type of room decoration I can imagine ?

Cheers, Markus

Savage! Looks great with the matte black DWs.

Savage! Looks great with the matte black DWs.
Wow thanks! :) I generally prefer matte finishes over glossy ones - for nearly every surface. That's why I really like Justinhub2003s SONOR SQ1, although I'm not that much into green.

Hey forum!

Unboxing...
View attachment 98066

In The Set
View attachment 98067

Portrait
View attachment 98068

Companionship
View attachment 98069

Cheers, Markus

Beautiful, gorgeous, sweet ?

Bought my first Sonor Kit about a month ago and I’m all in on Sonor. I still love Ludwig but recently bought the following Sonor gear:

6 piece Sonor SQ1 kit (8,10,12,16,18,22)
Benny Greb 2.0 snare (wood)
SQ1 14x6.5 Snare in black
Sonor Special series snare (cottonwood I think it’s called)
2x Sonor 4000 double cymbal stands
1x Sonor 4000 double Tom holder

18 and 10 not pictured, 10” will arrive in a few weeks

View attachment 98075View attachment 98076
Verrrrry niiiice!!!!

Out of curiosity, what mic is that on your kick? It definitely does not look like a bass drum mic. In fact, with such a small diaphragm, I have a hard time believing that it could pick up any low frequencies whatsoever.

Verrrrry niiiice!!!!

Out of curiosity, what mic is that on your kick? It definitely does not look like a bass drum mic. In fact, with such a small diaphragm, I have a hard time believing that it could pick up any low frequencies whatsoever.

Looks can be deceiving. It’s one of the best bass drum mics in the business in my opinion.

It’s an Earthworks SR20LS. It’s not a dynamic mic like most kick mics.

Go listen to Carter McLean’s bass drum sound on his YouTube channel. He uses them.

That said, I use two kicks. I use a AKG D112 inside and the Earthworks outside,

My big investment this summer was to upgrade to all Earthworks mics and they are absolutely great. I have the DK7 mic set (DM20’s for Tom’s/Snare, SR20LS for kick, SR25’s as overheads, and then I use the AKG D112, plus a SM57 as second snare top and snare bottom)

Looks can be deceiving. It’s one of the best bass drum mics in the business in my opinion.

It’s an Earthworks SR20LS. It’s not a dynamic mic like most kick mics.

Go listen to Carter McLean’s bass drum sound on his YouTube channel. He uses them.

That said, I use two kicks. I use a AKG D112 inside and the Earthworks outside,

My big investment this summer was to upgrade to all Earthworks mics and they are absolutely great. I have the DK7 mic set (DM20’s for Tom’s/Snare, SR20LS for kick, SR25’s as overheads, and then I use the AKG D112, plus a SM57 as second snare top and snare bottom)

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that mic. I suppose looks are deceiving in this case. How does it compare to the D112, which is one of my favorite kick mics?

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that mic. I suppose looks are deceiving in this case. How does it compare to the D112, which is one of my favorite kick mics?

I’ve not had the Earthworks mics long and I just had a baby 3 weeks ago, so my testing has been limited.

But my initial testing is that D112 excels at picking up a lot of attack from the beater and the SR20 excels at picking up all the low end.

But I still have a lot of playing with to do on the earthworks stuff.

sonor-designer-K.jpg

Designer kit ("Stain Black" or "Stain Blue", nobody knows...) with a 14x8 Designer (Tribal) as my main snare
and a D506 for the more funky stuff :cool:
Looking forward to get a 14x8 Signature Ferromanganese(y)

...and some pics from a little restoration I did recently. (Had to replace some rubber parts that were broken)
Here you see the beautiful finish. Sonor has the most beautiful collection of wood finishes :love:

IMG-5490.jpg

IMG-5481.jpg

IMG-5505.jpg

Those were some of the best finishes they ever had.. and I can't believe they don't offer them anymore... Each shade available at that time had the same natural background sort of "burning" through.. I don't know how they did it but I've never seen anything like it......... The current birdseyes they have DON'T have the same characteristic.

Agree! And they highly change their colour and "depth" in different light situations.
This one looks green in daylight, blue/purple in artificial light, sometimes very colourful, sometimes even just black.
Love it :)

Those were some of the best finishes they ever had.. and I can't believe they don't offer them anymore... Each shade available at that time had the same natural background sort of "burning" through.. I don't know how they did it but I've never seen anything like it......... The current birdseyes they have DON'T have the same characteristic.

They were engineered veneers made by Alpi, just about all the natural woods that Sonor offer now, with a few notable exceptions (Scandi Birch, American Walnut and a couple of others) are from them or similar, including bubinga, the Mkassar ebony etc. You can still buy those Tribal veneers directly from Alpi.

Nothing wrong with that and far more tree-friendly!

Back