show off your snare

I only have two at the moment, after rigorous downsizing.

p.jpeg
p.jpeg

20210120_114651.jpg

I just got this. It confirmed that these cheap shells, sold under many different brands and with sticker badges, are the real deal. I like this eight lug even better than the ten lug one I originally bought just for the bag it came in. This one was $20 US. Now I have a spare and a way to side by side experiment with heads.

For you snare drum junkies, I'll repost this pic here and mention a few things:
  • The 14"x6.5" Tama SLP G-Maple in limited edition Mocha Tamo Ash finish. This finish is so cool. If Tama made a Starclassic kit with this burnt/etched dark toned outer ply, I'd be making a pre-order. It has texture, depth and durability.
  • The drum came with die-cast hoops. I tried out the drum with Tama brass mighty hoops and it opened up the drum much more than I thought it would. I settled on the Stu Copeland setup of die-cast batter hoop, brass mighty reso hoop.
  • I installed Fat Cat Adjustable wires and was shocked at how it changed the tone of the drum. If you want a fatter sound, this is something to check out.
index.php
I love this finish and look, just never quite got the tiny lug look....or the badge which looks nothing like regular Tama badges.

I love this finish and look, just never quite got the tiny lug look....or the badge which looks nothing like regular Tama badges.
The SLP badges are hideous. I’m not a fan of any screw-on/bolt-on badge, but the Starphonic is less bulky. The Tama decals are understated and world famous.

The SLP badges are hideous.
I know, what were they thinking? It really looks like a different brand/label...maybe that was the intent but they really missed the mark with this badge design. They should have inverted and made TAMA large with s.l.p. underneath in smaller font...and not used a rectangle but the 'wings' outline or oval like rockstar. It's simply too different and as you say hideous.

The SLP badges are hideous. I’m not a fan of any screw-on/bolt-on badge, but the Starphonic is less bulky. The Tama decals are understated and world famous.
Absolutely, the SLP badges are definitely not beautiful, but then, Tama has a history with rather so-so badges. I don't know who designed that badge but it was "Oh my..." at first sight. But then, once you play those snares, you say "Meh, the badge ain't pretty but the snare sounds great". After several years of shaking my head, I am over it and take it as it is. A great snaredrum lineup with a badge that should be replaced with something better.

Here is one of these SLPs from my "snaredrum-vault". Not the prettiest drum out there but definitely a great sounding snaredrum.

I'm just curious. For all that don't like brand badge X, why don't you just remove the badge and be done with it if the aesthetics are that unpleasing?
I am debating putting the Premier badges back on my kit after I wrap it. I know what it is, I'm never intending to sell it, so why bother?

Again, I'm just curious.

I'm just curious. For all that don't like brand badge X, why don't you just remove the badge and be done with it if the aesthetics are that unpleasing?
I am debating putting the Premier badges back on my kit after I wrap it. I know what it is, I'm never intending to sell it, so why bother?

Again, I'm just curious.
You’re debating putting the “badge of honour” back on the drums?! ??

Again, I'm just curious.

I like the look of shells without badges. The same goes for cymbals without logos. I've never rewrapped or refinished a kit, but if I were to do either, I probably wouldn't bother to reattach the badges. A resonant bass head with a Pearl logo would be enough for me.

Again, I'm just curious.
I don't like having two small holes in my shell without a reason. :p And as the badge is unimportant for the audience and invisible, I leave it as is. But as someone who worked in the design department for some time, it makes me want to correct things whenever I see a badly done design-job.

Back