show off your snare

Here are the main ones I've had for a while.
L to R:

Yamaha Colaiuta Sig
Longo Walnut
Ludwig Black Beauty
Gretsch Colaiuta Sig
Sort of a Colaiuta sig, but metal. Basically a 4160 with a thick layer of paint on it.
Gretsch 4160
Gretsch Hammered Brass
Yamaha Club Custom

Skarptrommer.jpg

Since then I've added these.

Slingerland Radio King

Radio King.jpg

Gretsch 14x6 Hammered Brass.

s-l1600_zpsrgmp10aa.jpg

Latest Gretsch Colaiuta sig and it's 12" companion.

Colaiuta sig.jpg

Here's my current collection (oldest to newest):

Pearl Free Floating 14x6.5 Steel Shell (1988)
Pearl_Free_Floating_Steel.jpg

Pearl BLX 13x6.5 6ply Birch 7.5 mm (Self-build from a 13x9 BLX rack tom) (ca. 2005)
Pearl_BLX_1365.jpg

DW Collectors Exotic VLT 14x6.5 (10ply Maple, outer veneer "Angel Pearl") (ca. 2015)
DSC_3055_012_800.jpg

Pearl Special Reserve 14x5 (4ply Maple with 4ply Maple re-rings) - (2020)
DSC_6591_029_800-DF.jpg

Tama Starphonic PAL 146 14x6 Aluminum (2020)
DSC_6648_038_800-DF.jpg

Lotsa nice eye candy!

I gaggle of snares I brought to work with me (400 miles from home/band/drum cave). 2.5 weeks and I'll reunite with all my noise babies.

Snares.jpg

What are your thoughts on those three snares in relationship to each other? Like metal to metal?

I like all three. Brass is the brightest, but I play the bronze the most. It has a dark undertone to it while still having plenty of mids and highs. The copper snare falls in between the others with more pronounced mids. It sounds different than a Copperphonic which to me has kinda woody tones. They all record great. Some folks don't like the look and most don't like the price. They are the best snare drums I've ever owned or heard.

There are you tube vids you can listen to , DrumcenterNH has the best sound.

I like all three. Brass is the brightest, but I play the bronze the most. It has a dark undertone to it while still having plenty of mids and highs. The copper snare falls in between the others with more pronounced mids. It sounds different than a Copperphonic which to me has kinda woody tones. They all record great. Some folks don't like the look and most don't like the price. They are the best snare drums I've ever owned or heard.

There are you tube vids you can listen to , DrumcenterNH has the best sound.

Right on - Yea I've heard tons of videos - it's just nice to talk to someone who actually owns them.

Have you cranked them up at all?

Right on - Yea I've heard tons of videos - it's just nice to talk to someone who actually owns them.

Have you cranked them up at all?

I've had em all over the place. I seem to like 420 hz for the reso and 280 - 320 for the batter. I want to get tone and body out of them. Funny how they look on vids. When you have one on your lap it's like whoa! There are some iridescent reds, greens, and blues that jump out in the light. The heavy brass drum was the first one I got. At $2300.00 it wasn't something I bought on a whim. As soon as I started playing it I was immediately happy with the purchase. I have a little home studio and record all the time. They sound great! Do I have buyers remorse? No way!! I'm thrilled to be able to own these snares!

I own Cravs, Dunnetts, the usual Ludwigs. DWs and have had Bradys and others . I really like these!!! Looking at the wood ones now. LOL

YMMV

What's that cherry stave sound like? I bet that has a crack to it.
It does! Also very crisp and it's extremely sensitive and articulate. I imagine having something to do with the combination of the bearing edges, the stave design of crazy thick walls and and a snare mechanism with very fine threads to dial in the right tension.
I've got Remo Renaissance batter, Diplomat snare bottom and PureSound "concert" 12 wires on this drum. untitled-24.jpg

Are splined joints common on stave snares? I never had one but don't remember seeing that before.

The lugs are really nice-looking, too.

Back