show off your snare

That is a beautiful drum. I have no advice if you like the sound. Congrats again on your beautiful snare.
Thanks my friend!

I've had a lifelong dream to one day own a kit that I actually like and want. Up until now all of my kits have been cheap used kits, where everything was scratched, dinged, dirty, and beat-up, so through an incredible amount of self-convincing, coaxing, and intense contemplation, I have decided to take the plunge and full-fill my dream once and for all, of a snare and kit with no compromises.

The snare represents my first purchase, with my kit right around the corner. I've decided on a DW Collector's Series kit in Natural Lacquer over Waterfall Bubinga to marry my new snare to. What a feeling it will be to finally acquire something I can truly call my own after 40 years.

Thanks my friend!

I've had a lifelong dream to one day own a kit that I actually like and want. Up until now all of my kits have been cheap used kits, where everything was scratched, dinged, dirty, and beat-up, so through an incredible amount of self-convincing, coaxing, and intense contemplation, I have decided to take the plunge and full-fill my dream once and for all, of a snare and kit with no compromises.

The snare represents my first purchase, with my kit right around the corner. I've decided on a DW Collector's Series kit in Natural Lacquer over Waterfall Bubinga to marry my new snare to. What a feeling it will be to finally acquire something I can truly call my own after 40 years.
I hear you loud and clear. If I may suggest, take your time, unless you already have and know sizes, configuration, and shopped dealers that will give you all you expect in service (and price) for enabling fulfillment of your life long dream. I was close to pulling the trigger several times over the past few years. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Hi there, Thunder 42! Appreciate your response!

For now I'm rolling with the stock heads the drum came with. DW clear snare bottom head (by Remo), and DW coated-batter head also by Remo.

I'm not savvy when it comes to drum heads, so if you know a good starting point for me, by all means, point me in the general direction I need to go. I'd be grateful for whatever advice you or any other members may have.

Beautiful drum.
If you like the sound with the stock head, leave it. Brass snares are supposed to ring!
You could try a coated single ply head with a dot underneath. Lots of guys like that type head on a brass drum. Takes away some of the ring but it's still sensitive at the edges.
The DW snare sides are great, they don't stretch out as much as Remo snare sides. Ludwig snare side heads are my favorite.

And congrats on your kit choice!
DW's exotic woods are stunning.

I hear you loud and clear. If I may suggest, take your time, unless you already have and know sizes, configuration, and shopped dealers that will give you all you expect in service (and price) for enabling fulfillment of your life long dream. I was close to pulling the trigger several times over the past few years. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Your advice wields a lot of clout and resonates strongly with me. I teetered a few times (on and off) in the beginning when I was first trying to work my way through the selection process as far as what I wanted. I hadn't shopped for drums or even looked at kits for some 30 years, and found myself overwhelmed to the point of wanting to throw the towel in.

Fast forward till now. I have nearly all aspects of my kit meticulously thought-out. Brand name, shell configuration, tom sizes, even hardware, but one thing still escapes me as far as a double bass setup goes. What to do about bass drum sizes? I like the idea of selecting two different sized bass drums (a 16x22 and a 16x24), but I can't push myself to the finish-line to sign-off on the order. MAJOR stumbling block.

Any input or advice regarding would be greatly appreciated and warmly welcomed!

Beautiful drum.
If you like the sound with the stock head, leave it. Brass snares are supposed to ring!
You could try a coated single ply head with a dot underneath. Lots of guys like that type head on a brass drum. Takes away some of the ring but it's still sensitive at the edges.
The DW snare sides are great, they don't stretch out as much as Remo snare sides. Ludwig snare side heads are my favorite.

And congrats on your kit choice!
DW's exotic woods are stunning.
Thanks for chiming in, JBonzo1! Great info on the ring, as I've never owned a brass snare before, possibly why I'm so taken by the punch it produces (never heard anything like it), and likewise as to drum-head advice! Will be taking a close look at the dot heads. Thanks for that my friend!

Re: DW's Exotic Woods Line, I share the thoughts you do, as the line-up of options is simply stunning! Aside from Waterfall Bubinga, I could easy live with Olive Ash Burl as well as Okoume Feather.

Fast forward till now. I have nearly all aspects of my kit meticulously thought-out. Brand name, shell configuration, tom sizes, even hardware, but one thing still escapes me as far as a double bass setup goes. What to do about bass drum sizes? I like the idea of selecting two different sized bass drums (a 16x22 and a 16x24), but I can't push myself to the finish-line to sign-off on the order. MAJOR stumbling block.

Any input or advice regarding would be greatly appreciated and warmly welcomed!
My first post/thread started in this forum tells you where I have been with my decision. Dream kit still out there. I've taken my time, and had an opportunity to play some wonderful drum sets the last few years. Concur with jbonzo, DW collectors and exotics are beautiful drums. They're wonderful sounding instruments and well made. I must confess I play double bass, but have never played two bass drums. There's likely a Drummer world of info out here and across other threads regarding choices in matching kicks. Generally speaking, I've come to enjoy shallower kicks, playing 14x22 currently, but have considered a leap to a kit with a 14x24. shallower depth for a shorter sustain and more focused note. You may want to consider starting a separate thread to get some greater wisdom on the topic.

Last edited:
My first post/thread started in this forum tells you where I have been with my decision. Dream kit still out there. I've taken my time, and had an opportunity to play some wonderful drum sets the last few years. Concur with jbonzo, DW collectors and exotics are wonderful sounding instruments, well made, and beautiful drums. I must confess I play double bass, but have never played two bass drums. There's likely a Drummer world of info out here and across other threads regarding choices in matching kicks. Generally speaking, I've come to enjoy shallower kicks, playing 14x22 currently, but have considered a leap to a kit with a 14x24. shallower depth for a shorter sustain and more focused note. You may want to consider starting a separate thread to get some greater wisdom on the topic.
Will be reviewing this topic from the start to catch your previous entries. Thanks for the heads-up on that!

Don't let your dream kit go, Thunder! Keep on it!

Like yourself, my kicks have always been 14x22, and never once was I ever disappointed. Lots of punch.

Honestly, I've looked at this from many different angles, and I see nothing wrong with selecting two 14x22's and just tuning them independently from one another. Also like the aesthetics of same size kicks.

One thing is for certain, I want virgin bass drums (toms mounted on stands). I believe stand-mounted toms will afford me a more diverse array of options for play and setup.

Some of my Tamburo handmade in Italy snares :

932702454.jpg

578307829.jpg

39084526F1.jpg

89071575F6.jpg

53977594O1.jpg

19604684O5.jpg

663634DSC05899.jpg

584126DSC05905.jpg

An older picture of the snare collection - the George Way Tradition is gone (miss that snare), and was replaced with a Yamaha Club Custom snare in Black Swirl. Amazing snare in its own right.

Attachments

• Snares.jpg
    Snares.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 525
070.jpg

071.jpg

073.jpg
Craviotto solid Black Cherry. 6.5x14

I've been really enjoying this discussion and drooling over all of the pictures!

This is my go to snare. It's a 5.5 x 14 DW solid steambent Maple single ply Collectors series with re-rings in natural satin oil. It's date stamped early 2004 which was about the time JC was still supplying the shells but it's not signed so it could be a DW, Vaughncraft or Craviotto shell. Doesn't matter much to me as I bought it to keep and play. I replaced the terrible DW drop throw on it with a Dunnett R40 360 swivel throw off. That solved the only problem I had with it. Love this drum.

Attachments

• 024a.jpg
    024a.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 760
DW 5.5x14 wrinkle finish 3mm cast aluminum snare drum.
I'm not a satin finish hardware guy and I have a complete set of chrome DW hardware for this drum but the satin works on this.

Attachments

• my dw cast aluminum snare.jpg
    my dw cast aluminum snare.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 749
Back