Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    585.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4997.jpeg
    IMG_4997.jpeg
    486.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
My newest snare is the one that came with my Superstar Classic kit. I've never owned a matching snare drum from a kit before, and the upgrade has been a journey. I replaced the heads with a UV1 batter and a Snare Side 300, put on PureSound Custom 24s, and exchanged the stock batter hoop for an S-Hoop (8 lug 14" S-Hoops can be challenging to find!) The final touch is a BFSD Donut XL for use at church or with the cover band. I can't believe it, but it sounds fantastic!
1693070975845.png

My newest snare is the one that came with my Superstar Classic kit. I've never owned a matching snare drum from a kit before, and the upgrade has been a journey. I replaced the heads with a UV1 batter and a Snare Side 300, put on PureSound Custom 24s, and exchanged the stock batter hoop for an S-Hoop (8 lug 14" S-Hoops can be challenging to find!) The final touch is a BFSD Donut XL for use at church or with the cover band. I can't believe it, but it sounds fantastic!
View attachment 138040
Interesting. I've always wondered what budget drums would sound like with upgrades like that.

Does it sound like a more expensive drum with all the upgrades?

Interesting. I've always wondered what budget drums would sound like with upgrades like that.

Does it sound like a more expensive drum with all the upgrades?

I'll tell you tomorrow when I play it how it sounds, but what I find with lower priced snares is that they have a very narrow sweet spot in their tuning range. The hoops and stock snare on this one really didn't do it any justice either. Hopefully, adding the mass of the S-Hoop gives it some real focus and chutzpah at medium tunings. I was only really getting anything I liked from this snare when I cranked the batter.

Meanwhile, my more expensive snares have a LOT of different tunings where they sound amazing, and they stay where I put them. So it was an interesting challenge. I don't want to sell this matching snare if I don't have to, but I do want it to be serviceable when I do play it.

EDIT: Just got done with worship practice. As I predicted, I got a lot of body and smack out of a medium tuning with the S-Hoop. I found cross-sticking was a little tricky with the 8-lug version; will just need a bit of time with it to learn the sweet spot and Bob's your uncle.

Last edited:
Have a bit of a problem, according to my wife.

I'd love to help you with that by taking good care of the Tama Starphonic Copper! Just an altruistic offer.

Took possession of my new Bosphorus Traditional series top hi-hat cymbal on Saturday, in time to take it and the Tama SSC snare with the S-Hoop to church for a worship set. I loved how the lower-pitched top made the hats sit lower in the mix, and it paired really well with an A Mastersound bottom - kind of like a bootleg K/Z pair but with less airlock. As predicted, the S-Hoop tamed the Tama snare a bit and gave it a lot more focus and body in mid tunings, turning it into a very versatile snare (and it sounded nice and thuddy for ballads with the BFSD Donut on it).
1693238779510.png

I’ve downsized my snare collection and settled on these 3.
Tama SLP 13x7 G-Maple: I love this snare. It’s so versatile. 13” snares are so underrated.

Ludwig Bronze Phonic Raw 14x6.5

Gretsch USA Solid Aluminum 14x6.5: this maybe the best fat back beat snare I’ve ever played. Sounds so good turned medium-low that I haven’t even tried tuning it up yet.

View attachment 138018
I lov ethe finish of this SLP G-Maple snare, how is it called? It's discontinued, right? If so, only used is the way to go?

View attachment 138060View attachment 138061View attachment 138062View attachment 138063View attachment 138064Dunnett snares in one place.
single ply maple, CR hoops, 14 x 6.5
titanium, CR hoops, 14 x 6
bronze 2N, 14. 6.5
aluminium 2N, 14 x 6.5
steel, Trussart, 14 x 6 (ish)
Whooo, a guy form England who likes the Best canadian Snares...Ok, AVA Drums is also a top canadian builder. The Bronze looks awesome, I have just received the Gergo borlai (Next post) but didn't know this type of finish, very nice!

Last one, DUNNETT Gergo Borlai, Bronze, 4X6.5, already posted in the "Last Purchase" snare thread:
IMG_7280.JPEGIMG_7281.JPEGIMG_7288.JPEG

Back