Show Off Your PEARL!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It's a Roto-tom attached to the shell for quick pitch changes (and snare effects if you're so inclined.) They also had Vari-Pitch toms, same idea but with a deeper shell and no reso, basically concert toms.

Unfortunately, it's pretty useless as a snare, but it's a nice collector's item. :)

Vari-Pitch2.jpg

Reactions: TJK

TJK

It's a Roto-tom attached to the shell for quick pitch changes (and snare effects if you're so inclined.) They also had Vari-Pitch toms, same idea but with a deeper shell and no reso, basically concert toms.

Unfortunately, it's pretty useless as a snare, but it's a nice collector's item. :)

View attachment 88425
Does the actual rototom move up and down as well?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Wow! I remember going to a school concert back in 1978 and the drummer had one of these in white with one bass drum. At the ripe old age of 12 I was already familiar with Roto-Toms, so I thought these sounded a lot fatter than shell-less roto-toms. But it still wasn't as cool as a Ludwig Octa-Plus!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I bet it's a heavy snare and kit with all the hardware? What does it sound like-I know a snare but you know what I mean?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I bet it's a heavy snare and kit with all the hardware? What does it sound like-I know a snare but you know what I mean?
The spokes of the Roto-Tom are heavy, so the drum is a bit weighty, mostly top-heavy.

As a snare, the top head just doesn't 'excite' the snare side because the air movement dissipates before it can travel down into the shell and activate the snare head & wires. So it's more of a buzzy tom. Great collector's item... atrocious snare.

Bermuda

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well I let my daughter's boyfriend borrow my Pearl POD Rhythm traveler to silent practice with the mesh heads. And after a few years now he's giving it back because of space constraints moving in with my daughter. So I got it back. Still had the original Protone heads so I bought a new snare heads but kept the lil tom heads. I forgot I busted the batter head and put an old 16 in hydraulic head on the lil 16X13 kick but I left it too. Made an iPhone video because the bottom on that lil kick just floored me. With headphones it sounds pretty good-though I've never been a fan of the shallow toms-I've always liked the kick and 12 in snare. The toms just have too short a note but in this recording with headphones they sound pretty dang good. I've been having a blast playing it again-similar to thread of joy of playing. The kick has this little skimpy pedal but it works like a charm.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

yep...i am a band director, and luckily get to store my kit in the band room. We use it for jazz band as well, and I do lessons on it. I can play at anytime of the day or night, and no cops get called

Reactions: TJK