Show Night with the Devo Tribute band!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I got the wife to wield the video camera on this one - it sounds great, but the low light gave us grainy video. This is the first song of our set after we've taken the stage during the Devo Corporate anthem. The Pearl orphan kit sounded awesome and I think the girls in the front row really dug the big 26" bass drum!

It was a technological success too. We didn't really have time for a proper soundcheck, but fortunately we did our homework. I have one of those newfangled digital mixers that can route signals all over the place, but is really easy to use. I let the venue's soundman mix the house sound from my iPad (and he did a great job), and each member of the band also accesses the mixer via WiFi so they can control their own monitor mixes from a phone app. I was so happy this worked out!

This tribute band thing is turning out to be really cool. It's nice playing to packed houses of appreciative folks! This is way nicer than being in a cover band - lots of times nobody cares if the band is there when I'm playing in a bar :(

Check it out:

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
So I got the wife to wield the video camera on this one - it sounds great, but the low light gave us grainy video. This is the first song of our set after we've taken the stage during the Devo Corporate anthem. The Pearl orphan kit sounded awesome and I think the girls in the front row really dug the big 26" bass drum!

It was a technological success too. We didn't really have time for a proper soundcheck, but fortunately we did our homework. I have one of those newfangled digital mixers that can route signals all over the place, but is really easy to use. I let the venue's soundman mix the house sound from my iPad (and he did a great job), and each member of the band also accesses the mixer via WiFi so they can control their own monitor mixes from a phone app. I was so happy this worked out!

This tribute band thing is turning out to be really cool. It's nice playing to packed houses of appreciative folks! This is way nicer than being in a cover band - lots of times nobody cares if the band is there when I'm playing in a bar :(

Check it out:
Nice, I dug when you did the "Charlie Watts leaving out the hi hat when the snare hits" thing.

It's SO much better when the crowd actually gives a damn. The Tribute thing is healthy in a big way. Excellent Tribute bands get nice bookings and get paid and the crowd is into it.

I've been offered a gig in a now-forming Rush Tribute band. I've never played covers as a thing but I think I'm going to go for it.

Macarina

Silver Member
Well, that was just freakin’ cool.
I’d love to see that show.

oh and your performance ... that was good.
real good
no..... reeeeeeeal good

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I’d never get tired of watching this band. Great job Bo! Audio sounds amazingly good for being camera audio. Nice mix and everything. Audience is certainly loving it. Hope to be out there when you guys are playing and if I can get the 2 for 1 with that Boingo tribute band on the same night, that would be heaven. You all still opening for them? Is that who’s set up behind you?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I enjoyed that Bo-kit and you sound great. Is that the Pearl RT snare too? "The Pearl orphan kit sounded awesome and I think the girls in the front row really dug the big 26" bass drum!" I hope you tell your wife that despite all those adoring female fans up front that you only pull out the big 26 inch is for her (in my best Steven Tyler voice LOL).

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Nice, I dug when you did the "Charlie Watts leaving out the hi hat when the snare hits" thing.

It's SO much better when the crowd actually gives a damn. The Tribute thing is healthy in a big way. Excellent Tribute bands get nice bookings and get paid and the crowd is into it.

I've been offered a gig in a now-forming Rush Tribute band. I've never played covers as a thing but I think I'm going to go for it.
I think you should! At least you get to use a lot of chops! I joked in our band bio that “all that time when I was 12 playing along to Devo records has NOT gone to waste!”

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I’d never get tired of watching this band. Great job Bo! Audio sounds amazingly good for being camera audio. Nice mix and everything. Audience is certainly loving it. Hope to be out there when you guys are playing and if I can get the 2 for 1 with that Boingo tribute band on the same night, that would be heaven. You all still opening for them? Is that who’s set up behind you?
We opened again for the Oingo Boingo tribute band and were hoping this becomes a thing. We were on the bill but I’m sure the crowd was there for them. My wife listened to conversations and they were looking forward to their Boingo favorites, but she noticed a shift in the crowd when the yellow suits walked through them to the stage. It was fun. I can get used to this.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I enjoyed that Bo-kit and you sound great. Is that the Pearl RT snare too? "The Pearl orphan kit sounded awesome and I think the girls in the front row really dug the big 26" bass drum!" I hope you tell your wife that despite all those adoring female fans up front that you only pull out the big 26 inch is for her (in my best Steven Tyler voice LOL).
I still don’t trust the RT snare so I used the raw brass Sensitone. I also heard a few voices notice how big the hi-hats were. Oddly enough, the Boingo band are very nice to us, but I’ve yet to meet their drummer 😕

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Nice stuff Bo.

Do you have to get permission from Devo to do this?
I don’t think so. I’m willing to bet if we start making ALOT $$$$ with this, somebody will find us. But there are so many tribute bands out here. Almost every act this venue books is some tribute! We’re just gonna ride the train and so long as we don’t flat out copy logos I think we’re good. The Boingo band had a merch table selling hats and t-shirts! We may do something similar.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
We’re just gonna ride the train and so long as we don’t flat out copy logos I think we’re good. The Boingo band had a merch table selling hats and t-shirts! We may do something similar.
Playing a band's songs live is one thing, anything recorded (or even just shared on Youtube, etc) is another. Merch is a bigger minefield again, and any designs / phrases / strap lines need to be some considerable distance from anything ever marketed by the original act. In other words, there can be no mistaking it's a different act from the original.

Apart from that - good looking & sounding show! :)