Should I sell my Pearl Reference snare?

Superman

Gold Member
So a few years ago I bought the hype and wanted a Pearl Reference snare drum. I got a great deal on a used one in mint condition. I got home, changed the heads, put on Puresound snares and gave it a whack...and it sucked. For 2 years I have been trying to convince myself to like this snare drum. I have played it more than the other ones in my rotation, I have tuned it several ways, tried a few heads but nothing has worked. It just sounds dead to me when I want it to sing. I've read others on here who have the same issue with it. I have a couple top line maple snares; DW Collectors Maple and a Premier Elite Maple and I love them both.

But I don't want to sell this and have sellers remorse. I was thinking of getting a DW Collectors nickel over brass in its place, but I already have two Pearl Jupiter COB snares (5.5x14 & 6.5x14) and a 5.5x14 60's Rogers Dynasonic COB so I don't really need another brass snare. But I've always wanted a Black Beauty and I would settle for the DW for price reasons.

So, keep the Pearl Reference and play the COBs I have, or sell it and get a nickel over brass?

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

Just what kind of sound are you looking for? The Pearls are great drums. What is it that you don't like. If you cannot specificly answer that question, you are on a wild goose chase.

Sell it, if you can. You have enough snares, I doubt you'll miss the one you hate.

Is this a Reference 20-ply or a Reference Pure 6-ply?

What heads and snare wires are you using now? What did it come with in the first place?

Usually any time someone has a dead sounding snare it's because of a batter head that's too thick and a snare side that's too low in pitch.

I'd suggest trying the "standard" coated Remo Ambassador batter and hazy Ambassador snare side. Crank the reso up to A=440 and tune the batter up until you have a pitch and feel you like.

Keep in mind too that if this is the 20-ply shell that it really isn't a "singing" kind of drum as much as one that's supposed to punch you in the face.

I say sell it if you don't like it. I'd worry about seller's remorse if the drum has some redeeming quality for you, but it sounds like it doesn't.
Or you could keep it and have a drum shaped paperweight with a reference badge on it.

Easy one.

Sell the Reference and one of the Jupiters, and get the Black Beauty you've always wanted.

I'm guessing from your reference your other two maple snares that you're referring to one of the Reference wood snares although there is both the 20-ply and the 6-ply mentioned above. The 20 ply is... really kind of a specialty instrument IMO that sounds good in a very limited range of tunings. Haven't played the 6-ply. If you don't like the snare, get rid of it!

Is this a Reference 20-ply or a Reference Pure 6-ply?

What heads and snare wires are you using now? What did it come with in the first place?
It is the 20 ply maple and birch one. It is soo heavy and thick. I have a coated ambassador and a hazy on the botton and brass puresound wires. Jus t sounds like I'm pounding on a log.

I say sell it if you don't like it. I'd worry about seller's remorse if the drum has some redeeming quality for you, but it sounds like it doesn't.
Or you could keep it and have a drum shaped paperweight with a reference badge on it.

Paperweight...more like an anvil! lol

Easy one.

Sell the Reference and one of the Jupiters, and get the Black Beauty you've always wanted.

I don't think the Jupiters have any value. I got the 6.5x14 for $80 and the 5.5x14 for $25 (needed some real TLC). But yeah, I think I'm going that route.

Hmmmm... If you're already running Ambassadors on it I'm running low on ideas.

How does your sound compare to this Memphis Drum Shop demo? I notice that the highest tuning they have there (from about 3:00 onward) is a little choked to my ears but the first two tunings sounded really nice and open.

https://youtu.be/k63saM0tFCw

Hmmmm... If you're already running Ambassadors on it I'm running low on ideas.

How does your sound compare to this Memphis Drum Shop demo? I notice that the highest tuning they have there (from about 3:00 onward) is a little choked to my ears but the first two tunings sounded really nice and open.

https://youtu.be/k63saM0tFCw

Mine sounds like the highest tuning as I usually tune my snares pretty high. And yes, it sounds choked. Good find, that's exactly it. For a drum that retails at $720 new I just expected more. Heck, my stock Saturn snare sounds way better.

Mine sounds like the highest tuning as I usually tune my snares pretty high. And yes, it sounds choked. Good find, that's exactly it. For a drum that retails at $720 new I just expected more. Heck, my stock Saturn snare sounds way better.

Once you get north of the $500 mark,it becomes more style than substance.

I agree with Bo, time to try to sell, you won't miss it. There are so many great sounding snares, including that nickel over brass that's calling you.

Well, one of the things about the thick shells is you get the brightness and cut without having to crank it up as high. To my ears that middle tuning sounds about the same as most snares tuned high, and it had a lot of crispness and cut without being too dry.

I was going to suggest trying triple flange hoops instead of the die casts but if you're heading into gunshot territory anyway I don't know if it'll matter all that much.

Sell it and get the NOB DW.
I love thick shell snares but they are a bit limited.
If you miss the drum after selling it, pick up a 20 ply birch Ludwig Brick. They go for $200 new.

Get rid of anything you don't like. I bought a Tama starclassic b/b snare that I thought would be great but it did nothing for me. I used it in trade for a DW solid steam bent snare. Took a $100 loss on it but was glad to be rid of it.

Yes, sell it. Either keep the cash, or get something else you want. Simple.

It is tempting to hold onto gear because it's 'supposed to be good'. But it's better to own gear that you like and use.

Ok, I think it's going on the market. I was all about that DW NOB until i saw the Mapex Black Panther Brass Cat tonight and there is something about it I love. Anyone have any experience with one? It is in the same price range as the DW so I'd assume it is of similar quality.

If you know you don't like it then there's not much to debate.

But you already own 2 great brass snares, getting a 3rd is a bit of a weird decision... I think you should diversify your collection a little bit. If you decide to stick to a wood snare I am crazy about my new collectors maple 14x6 snare, I highly recommend you look at one of those, but who knows what you're in the mood for, you could end up with anything and that's fun.

If you know you don't like it then there's not much to debate.

But you already own 2 great brass snares, getting a 3rd is a bit of a weird decision... I think you should diversify your collection a little bit. If you decide to stick to a wood snare I am crazy about my new collectors maple 14x6 snare, I highly recommend you look at one of those, but who knows what you're in the mood for, you could end up with anything and that's fun.

I don't really play the Dynasonic because I feel like it is a nice collectors item. I'm weird like that. The 2 Jupiters are great sounding snares but there is just nothing sexy about them. The COB looks like every cheap steel snare that comes with beginner kits.

I definitely don't need another maple (Have the Premier, DW, and stock Orion orbiter). I have a Musashi oak. I have my Saturn stock walnut/maple. I'm open to suggestions.....copper....straight birch?

I'd respectfully suggest that buying based on looks and hype but not sound is what got you into the Reference snare in the first place.

I'd say figure out what sound you aren't getting out of the 9 snares you already have and then choose based on that.

Back