Should I sell my Pearl Reference snare?

Personally I don't know if I hear the stark differences between the woods as I do with the metals, from your collection I'd say you don't have enough metal. You might like some aluminium, steel or copper in your life. And maybe 12's or 13's? Or sell the Jupiter and get a brass that you're prepared to use. Or own 3, it's your life.

( Heck, my stock Saturn snare sounds way better.) I would like to add to that comment. Saturn Snares are very nice sounding drums and get little attention. Walnut snare drums are very popular right now, and basically a Saturn snare is a thin shelled Walnut/Maple Black Panther. I think the majority of the Saturn sound comes from the Walnut anyway. I cant find any store demos of them but mine always records well. Now on your post, I am in a similar situation. I have a all maple Gretsch with walnut/steel hoops, Saturn hybrid, Pearl free floating steel, Tama Aluminum, Ludwig Black Magic ( which gets a lot of love ). That covers a lot of my musical moods. But in the future I want a Stave or a Solid shell Snare, you gave any thought to owning one of these. Oh! maybe I missed this but if you dont have an Aluminum Its a must have. My Starphonic Aluminum is my favorite, sounds good tuned low or high. But when I crank it up a little I get that Aluminum ting sound that I crave, Its truly unique.

Last edited:
You've already made up your mind and are looking for validation regarding your decision.

Sell it.

You said you hated it, so why not part ways with it and give some other bloke a shot at his dream snare drum.

That was easy!

Easy one.

Sell the Reference and one of the Jupiters, and get the Black Beauty you've always wanted.

Was gonna say the same thing. I was lusting after a black beauty...I have a "copy" but it didn't satiate my curiosity. I bought the first one that popped up on my local craigslist or I would always just wonder...glad to report it was worth it.

Or buy an aluminum drum. :)

As for the Pearl Reference,are the batter hoops the fat tone model?
If so ,try different a batter hoop.

Last edited:
You have given enough time and effort to it if you don't like it, then get rid of it.
Life is too short.

Was gonna say the same thing. I was lusting after a black beauty...I have a "copy" but it didn't satiate my curiosity. I bought the first one that popped up on my local craigslist or I would always just wonder...glad to report it was worth it.

Or buy an aluminum drum. :)

I'll second the aluminum drum.
Check out Ludwig Supraphonics, Acrolites and other makes on You Tube or Memphis Drum Shop (they have great videos).

So I'd like to thank all those that helped me. I played around with the Reference and found some tunings that sounded really good to me (Thanks to Winston Wolf). I decided to keep it. I also realized that although my COB Jupiters aren't as sexy as some nice NOB snares, they sound just as good so I'm gonna just stick with those. SO, since I needed something to fill my fix; I ordered a Tama Artwood birch snare 6.5x14. Didn't have any wood snares that size so I thought that was the best way to go and I got a killer deal. Thanks again.

Back