Should I pull the trigger on this Black Panther?

justinxIP

So I've heavily been in the craigslist market for a 13x6 (or 7) snare. I have a couple 14" snares that I love but I really want a 13". And keep in mind that I am not one of those people looking for a $400 snare. Just something of quality that isn't gonna kill me.

I've had my eye on Black Panthers for a while and this size seems like a good place to start in terms of 13" snares.

Anyone have any comments on this particular snare, Black Panthers in general, or 13" snares in general?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/3317152653.html

And is this snare at a good enough price? I think I saw him post this for like 250 a few months ago... $150 for a BP seems pretty good...

I own six 13" snare drums, and I have this BP snare, but in black lacquer. It is worth $150 all day. Mine is in my top 5 favorite snares. and I gig with it all the time.
All the Black Panthers are great drums, pretty much without exception.

Neal

Looks like a good deal to me. No BP snare here, just an inexpensive Mapex 13 x 3.5, that serves its purpose.

I would buy it in a heartbeat. Do it! Peace and goodwill.

Man, that thing looks sweet! BPs are great snares. I haven't heard a dud from them yet. It's time to drop a time. Happy trails with it.

That is a nice snare. I've seen this snare before and played it... it sounds nice tuned mid range and higher. It can crack really well too. It is a nice buy, especially at $150.00.

The 6x13 BP snare drums were a special run built each year for a few years. Mapex did a Bird's eye maple, Cherry maple and a gloss black. One of the years the drum was a free bonus when you bought a Pro M kit. At the end of each year the drums were sold on closeout in a price range between $99.00 and $120.00. I bought the Birds eye maple and Cherry maple drums but passed on the black version. They are wonderful drums and very diverse. The retail was close to $400.00 but chances are the seller bought the drum in the price range I bought the drums for. You may want to ask him about this, otherwise paying $150.00 for the drum isn't such a bad thing.

Attachments

• DSCN0708.JPG
    DSCN0708.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
^^^^ Those are some really nice first gen Black Panthers.
I've seen brand new snares in worse condition!

Neal

Back