Should I keep these drums

MN02

On a whim, I recently snagged a set of Pearl Session Custom Birch drums from Guitar Center for $350.00. The finish is gloss black and the sizes are 22x18, 16x16, 14x11, 12x9, 10x8 (pics to come). They are not in perfect condition some scratching and one gouge on the 10x8. I haven't spent any money yet to upgrade the heads remo pinstripes top factory resonants, but they sound pretty darn good. They have the optimounts and superhoops. I have been wanting a second kit for awhile and the Session have a solid rep. I ten to like to flip gear though and my concern is I may get tired of them and not be able to recoup my money, especially if I upgrade all the heads.

What say you forum members. Anyone have a long lasting love affair with these drums. Thanks.

That's just an ok deal. If you feel like you can spend the money on that kit in good conscious, then knock yourself out.

That's a fine deal for those drums, and they will likely make a nice 2nd kit. But drum heads are consumables so you should never expect to "get back" the cost of drum heads when you sell. That would be like expecting to get an extra $100 when selling a car because you recently replaced the spark plugs and changed the oil.

Play them and have fun.

To clarify - I realize I won't recoup the drum head cost. I generally like the kit - I have always had a soft spot for Pearl birch and the session series (grew up with the blx and original session series). My concern is whether they will hold value in the 350-400 range. Thanks for the input.

Depends on the condition you keep them in. Take care of them and they'll take care of you when you go to sell them! :)

Sessions are nice drums. I think you got a good deal. Play them until you grow tired of them, then sell them and find something else.

That's just an ok deal. If you feel like you can spend the money on that kit in good conscious, then knock yourself out.

I guess this comment comes from someone that's infatuated by Saturn drums, lol.

If the drums are in good condition and they're what you want, then you made a good deal. You're not on this Earth to keep disgruntled forum people happy. Enjoy them.

Dennis

If it is only new heads that you are buying then save the old heads and keep the drums for a while.
You can always put the old heads back on the drums and sell the kit for what you bought it for.
The new heads that you bought can be used on another kit.
Heads can be refitted without issue.

I'd say $350.00 for 5 Pearl drums is a good deal. As long as they aren't abused. Also, Session Customs are maple drums, I know, I have a set. Session Studio or Masters Studio are the birch shells. So what does your badge read? I'd say you should be able to to get all that money back upon selling, or close to it. Why are you asking us if you should keep them though? Like if we all told you to sell them, would you? That's cra-zee.

I'd say $350.00 for 5 Pearl drums is a good deal. As long as they aren't abused. Also, Session Customs are maple drums, I know, I have a set. Session Studio or Masters Studio are the birch shells. So what does your badge read? I'd say you should be able to to get all that money back upon selling, or close to it. Why are you asking us if you should keep them though? Like if we all told you to sell them, would you? That's cra-zee.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. I don't see the point of this thread. You already bought them, and paid the price you paid. That part is a done deal. If you are saying 'what if I grow tired of them, will they hold their value?' Maybe you already don't like them, and you're trying to rationalize that in your mind??? If you do actually like them, what makes you think that one day, you won't like them??? Gee, you can say that about anything you buy: autos, homes, etc. There's a term for this-'buyer's remorse.'

'Buyer's remorse is the feeling of regret after a purchase. It is frequently associated with the purchase of higher value items such as a car or house. It may stem from a sense of not wishing to be wrong, of guilt over extravagance or from feeling that one has been persuaded by a salesman.'

Bottom line: if you like them, keep them. If you don't like them, sell them now.

Thanks for the responses. The drums are Session Studio (not Session Custom) - my bad. The purpose of this thread was probably some slight buyers remorse because I don't really "need" the drums and I have a thirty day window to return them to GC. I wanted to get a feel from the forum (whose opinions have been helpful in the past) for how well regarded these drums are and whether the price I paid was worth it. In other words, help me justify a totally frivolous purchase. In that sense I suppose it is a pretty pointless thread. Though I do appreciate the replies.

For those with experience with these drums any recommendations for heads. I was thinking Evans G2 coated (the prepacka are crazy cheap online right now).

Yes - you got a good deal (if they're not falling apart).
No - you didn't get ripped off.
Yes - if you're that worried that in the future you might not get your $350 back if you sell them, you probably should return them now.
Yes - I like Evans G2 heads, and like Bob says, if you sell the drums in the future, you can put the old heads back on.

I'm sure you know how to do this by yourself, to financially justify your purchase to yourself.
But here's a little help just in case:

http://bit.ly/UHDl5S

You stated that you've been wanting a 2nd kit for a while. I don't know how you could go wrong with spendinig $350, let's be real. Assuming you like your first kit, and that kit is your primary kit, it might not matter much what you bought as a 2nd kit (for $350). If you are a gigging drummer, its cool to have a couple of kits. You keep one in cases, ready for the next gig, and you keep one set-up at home. If you are not a gigging drummer, a 2nd kit may be frivolous, but only you can decide that. If you don't really know if you want to keep them, and you're not sure if you like them, and you don't really need them, and GC will take them back, then I say return them.

Otherwise, keep them, enjoy them and don't worry about future value. Its only $350, being real.

Yes - you got a good deal (if they're not falling apart).
No - you didn't get ripped off.
Yes - I like Evans G2 heads, and like Bob says, if you sell the drums in the future, you can put the old heads back on.

I'm sure you know how to do this by yourself, to financially justify your purchase to yourself.
But here's a little help just in case:

http://bit.ly/UHDl5S

The demo was very helpful indeed. LOL

.... If you don't really know if you want to keep them, and you're not sure if you like them, and you don't really need them, and GC will take them back, then I say return them....

I've done this many times with different things. Bought it, then had a nagging feeling that I might be better off returning it. Waiting too long and losing that option, and then ending up stuck with something bought as an impulse buy, that I found out I wasn't really going to use.

But like you say - $350 for that kind of kit is a good deal.

(if you use it).

For the price you got a pretty nice deal. Take some time and clean them all up,polish the rims and shells,lube the tension rods. Really give them a good cleaning and polish. Now put new heads on them and play them. It's going to be like a new set. Give yourself a couple of days, and they may just grow on you, if they don't take the new heads off and return them. You have thirty days so give them a chance. If you are still not satisified you are not out hardly anything. John

I Guess they will keep their value if you sell them to someone.If you try 2 sell them back to GC You will take a steep bath.

Back