Should I jump on this snare?

alparrott

Platinum Member
Here it is...Pearl Brass Free Floating snare, 14x6.5 with a stand for $200.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/msg/3747807288.html

Should I jump on this?

These go new for around $500 according to the interwebs. It looks like an absolutely gorgeously kept drum, and many people rave about their Free Floaters. If it looks this good in person and sounds good too, I say it's a pretty good deal -- I'd pull the trigger myself.

mandrew

Gold Member
It is probably worth the money, but should you jump? The real question is do you really need it. Are you a player, or a collector? Is there something else that would advance your kit, like a cymbal, that would be more valuable than another snare? Only you can answer these points.

DrummerMic

I wouldn't suggest jumping on any drum. You could break the heads and dent the shell. :)
But seriously, if you need it and it fits your budget, it is obviously a great deal on an amazing snare. The main thing you need to think about is do you need it or us it just an impulse buy? Cost-benefit analysis--that will save you some serious cash.

Terrence R

Silver Member
I say get it. The best thing about that drum, is that u can pick up other shells for it, like Pearl's maple 14x6.5, steel, etc. Its one of the best Pearl snares out there IMO. And the price is more than reasonable. Not to mention the free stand that's included.

Toolate

Platinum Member
I have one in crappier shape but it still sounds great. Very sensitive and loud as hell compared to my 402 and wood snares. Its my 3rd favorite over Luddies.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
It is probably worth the money, but should you jump? The real question is do you really need it. Are you a player, or a collector? Is there something else that would advance your kit, like a cymbal, that would be more valuable than another snare? Only you can answer these points.

Run ,don't walk to that guy and just give him what he's asking.Be all over that like white on rice.Well worth the asking price.They are great snare drums,you won't be dissapointed.

Steve B

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Great snare. All variants have a focussed sound due to the frame/hardware mass. In terms of quality, they shame any ludwig at double the price, but a different sound. Price & condition are superb. If it delivers what you want, then go for it.

Terrence R

Silver Member
So... Did anyone " jump on this snare"? I hope someone bought it. Great snare at an even greater price.

longgun

Gold Member
Run ,don't walk to that guy and just give him what he's asking.Be all over that like white on rice.Well worth the asking price.They are great snare drums,you won't be dissapointed.

Steve B

+1...............I had a chance to get two Free Floaters for under $300 and turned it down...............regret it to this day...................I'd get it

larryz

Platinum Member
Might as well jump...JUMP! Go ahead and jump.

Surprised nobody beat me to that one.

Nevermind that Eddie Van Halen on a synth was a bad idea, even though he claims to be "classically trained". Aren't we all though?

markdrum

Silver Member
The Van Halen's parents were both classical musicians from Europe. Eddie did the synth thing brcause he was such a fan of Pete Townsend and Townsend used synths extensively. I can vouch for the 6.5" brass Free Floaters. It's probably my favorite snare. Great tone and projection. Good luck with it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Might as well jump...JUMP! Go ahead and jump.

Surprised nobody beat me to that one.

Nevermind that Eddie Van Halen on a synth was a bad idea, even though he claims to be "classically trained". Aren't we all though?

Lol Larry. WHAT a cheesey synth sound. Good song though.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I'm very fond of mine. It's my number 1 snare. That is a very solid price. If you don't like it, you can easily flip it and get your money back.