Should I get a reference pure?

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I have a Reference Pure.. It's not heavy. The older Reference is the heavy one.

Short answer, It sounds amazing, the toms have SOOOO much tone, and it's super easy to tune.

The price is the only negative, but I got it used in mint shape for a heck of a deal.

Zero regrets on that kit though.

I'll add, I don't really care where my drums are made if they sound great and last. Pearl have a good warranty as well. I have 2 reference snares and one had a lug that needed a bit of love. They shipped me 2 for free when asked in the forums.

Scottie15

Sure people can do what they want. I personally dont want to support a company abusing a low wage markets for maximum profit when their are other companies charging less in higher wage markets. Pearl Hardware on the other hand is great, is priced within the same range of its competitors and I do buy it because its good.

I think all High end drums sound great. From Sonor, Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, DW etc..... But when I look up the most expensive 4 piece kits from non Boutique drum Makers, Pearl is the highest costing kit for a Maple/Gum kit. Its priced over kits produced in Germany & the USA. I guess I dont understand the markup when its being produced in low wage markets.
It's priced higher than an SQ2, Collectors Series or Star Maple/Bubinga? Doubt that.

Scottie15

I’m not saying it’s crap. Pearl makes great sounding drums (so does Yamaha)… but it seems like the price should be cheaper if you are producing high end kits in a low wage market..

I just feel like pearl is saving a lot of labor costs and should be passing that on to the customer. But they dont. It goes to their pocket.

I just find a little unethical. But all corporations do it. Nike could be manufacturing in the US and still have great profit margins but they don’t. It’s one of the biggest things that rubs me wrong about pearl. A corporation taking jobs away from their home market not for cheap consumer cost just bigger profits.

I actually agree with this. Especially since the cost of all these drum kits has gone up due to manufacturing costs, etc.

someguy01

Platinum Member
Reference pure - no maple/gum. Master's maple/gum - $3878 SQ2 maple - $4346 Star walnut - $3999 Collectors maple - $3872
Reference pure - birch/maple/mahogany $4164
these are all 4 piece shell pack prices.

*The low wage is an assumption as no one here actually knows what Pearl pays their factory employees.*

Scottie15

Reference pure - no maple/gum. Master's maple/gum - $3878 SQ2 maple - $4346 Star walnut - $3999 Collectors maple - $3872
Reference pure - birch/maple/mahogany $4164
these are all 4 piece shell pack prices.

*The low wage is an assumption as no one here actually knows what Pearl pays their factory employees.*

Right. This is what I was stating in my post. Pearl's stuff is top notch. If you're looking for value, then look no further than the Sessions Studio Select.