Should I do it?

NerfLad

Silver Member
I'm dying not to...

Has anyone played these drums? I haven't heard much about them... they're the Meridian shells...

Attachments

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
The Meridian shells are very decent. You're just paying an inflated price for the custom finish option. If you're happy to pay that premium, then I see no issue. Personally I don't see the value but that's a personal choice.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
If you love them, get them.

I would have a difficult time gigging with sizes that large but wow, what a huge sound indeed.

NerfLad

Silver Member
I honestly don't love them. I just think it would be super cool to have big drums and there's no cheaper way to get those sizes in maple that I'm aware of. Of course, I can't just throw the money around.... blah.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
I honestly don't love them. I just think it would be super cool to have big drums and there's no cheaper way to get those sizes in maple that I'm aware of. Of course, I can't just throw the money around.... blah.
Then keeping with your original post question, "Should I do it?"

NO

I spent the last 3 years shopping for a second kit and only pulled the switch when I found a kit I absolutely fell in love with; sound, quality, finish & price.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
If it was chrome hardware, and you really want those sizes.... I'd say yeah, but sleep on it for a few days or a week (they aren't going anywhere..). Then, if you still dig it, then go for it.
The black hardware looks cheap IMO, and would have little re-sale if you needed/wanted to sell the kit.

For the money those shells would serve you well for many years if you take care of them.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I'd say you answered your own question ;-)

I don't drop that kind of money on something I'm not truly into, the cool factor doesn't last long and once you start lugging a kit with drums that huge around that cool factor fades even faster.

I'd put my money towards a kit that I really like and am in to rather than one just because it would be cool to have those sizes.

NerfLad

Silver Member
I've got drums I love. I just wanted to know if the drumming hivemind thought it would be a good deal. I was doubtful I would spend the money but it was nice to have the input! :)

Maybe if I absolutely need those sizes for something... which I won't... I'll get them. Otherwise, meh.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I paid $1200 for my Ludwigs (26, 13, 16, 18). If I ever sold them, I'd probably get that back. I wouldn't throw that kinda cash into a Mapex Mydentity kit.​

Attachments

larryz

Platinum Member
Harry's ended more discussions with that Ludwig photo .. I'm losing track. Sure fire way to do it :)

I say "No". With $1,000 you could get a Gretsch Renown maple kit instead - a way way better option that will hold it's value. And all maple is not created equal, too. Remember that. Anyway, I'm broke and envious so I'll just end this rant :)

bonzolead

Platinum Member
You might be able to get the Ludwig centinnials zep kit if they still make them 14" tom instead a 13" thats what Bonham used plus you have a extra $300 approx. in your pocket.

Bonzolead