Should I Do It?

Galadrm

Well I have a gig tomorrow night and it is not one I am looking forward to. I am in the middle of my exams, and it is for the party of a good mate of our lead singer, who sprung it on us once our exam schedule had been released although claiming he told us about in months ago. Anyway we are stuck doing the gig.

My acoustic drums are not at my house, so I would have to pick them up, pack them up drive them to the gig... all the usual. My electric kit is at my singers house where we rehearse and that is 2 minutes from where the party is. He could take it there for me all I would have to do is rock up and play and leave. The PA is appropriate enough to support an electronic kit and I have a td9 which has acceptable sounds, the crowd should be around 100. Should I do it? Will I regret it? I just cant be bothered seeing Im in the middle of exams and don't really care for this gig. Help me make the decision!

mikel

Platinum Member
Its a gig, do it. Unlike exams there is no pressure and it will get you out of the "Exam Mode" for a couple of hours. A break is good, if you are sweating it I would guess you have done lots of study work, probably too much, so get out for a couple of hours and enjoy it. Get back to study the following day, refreshed.

Icetech

Gold Member
If its a gig you already don't like.. you arn't going to like it as you are playing and probably will set yourself up for a crap night...

STXBob

Gold Member
+1,000 to DON'T DO IT. You're a student in the middle of exams, fer crissake. You don't get a do-over if you f*ck that up because some douchecannon pressured you into a gig.

Bag it.

You are setting yourself up for a bad night if you go through with it begrudgingly. While a break from the exams can be a good thing, having that pressure on your mind while playing a gig where you'd rather be somewhere else just smells of bad gig from where I sit. You already know what you want to do, so do it!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
IDK I'd do it. 100 people is a nice size party. It's the gigs you dread that many times turn out to be the ones you remember. You're young and can handle it. I'd get the acoustics and knock it out the hell out of the park. When the going gets tough and all that.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I had the same issues come up when I was in college and always took the gigs.

True, there are no do-overs for exams (unless you fail the class and need to retake it), but there are no do-overs at life either. I had one Prof who basically said that if you aren't skipping class at least sometimes, you're probably missing out on some great life experiences. He wasn't any kind of lightweight either (hardcore electrical engineer), but he had his priorities straight, IMO. Once you graduate and get working, nobody is ever gonna care what your grades were in school.

If it were me, I'd pack up the acoustic kit and go rock that shit.

mikel

Platinum Member
Dont let the exam Police batter you with the guilt thing. Young people have far,far too much pressure put on them almost from birth with constant exams. If one night away from study will ruin your chances of a good grade then you are already doomed. Ballance is the trick in life. Do the gig and treat it as a pressure relief valve. If its a gig you would not go near in ordinary circumstances then dont do it, but If its just the pending exam that is holding you back then do it. Whats a couple of hours? it still leaves you 22 to study if that is your mindset.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The pressure relief thing that mikel said is a great reason to do this gig. Relaxation is the best way to perform any test. Give yourself a break, and try and shed all the responsibility and just have a great time. It's probably better for your exam if you gig and shed stress, than if you stress all night studying for your exam.

If I were your doctor, I'd prescribe a pressure relieving gig so you can blow through your exams.

tcspears

Gold Member
You didn't mention pay, but if the gig isn't paying, it's probably not worth playing. If you weren't into the gig, but the pay was decent, then you might want to consider it, otherwise don't worry about it.

Juniper

Gold Member
I'd do it to let off some steam for one night for a couple hours, a break from studying may well help you to relax/take some off the pressure.

But that's me, it sounds like your gut is telling you not to.

Only you know best, go with your gut.

M

Matt Bo Eder

You don't have a choice if you were already committed. Just go and make up the time. You're gonna be doing more of that as an adult anyway, so you might as well start.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
+1,000 to DON'T DO IT. You're a student in the middle of exams, fer crissake. You don't get a do-over if you f*ck that up because some douchecannon pressured you into a gig.

Bag it.
If a couple/few hours of playing affects his exam, he should have paid more attention to his studies during the semester :)

100 people might mean 40 girls. I'd be there in a heartbeat with the E kit

Super Phil

I think he's asking whether he should use the E-kit or go through the hassle of getting his acoustic drums. I'd go with the E-kit in this situation.

Galadrm

Yes sorry I should have clarified, gig is locked in. Even though I don't want to do it I will still put effort in and enjoy it. The question I meant to pose was should I play it with my acoustic or electric?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
You'd be asking the wrong person mate. I used excuses a hell of a lot more lame than a gig in order to get out of studying in my day. A gig at a party, with the chance of cute, available chicks and a couple of free beers, would have been a no brainer. :)