Should I buy this snare I want but don’t need?

Should I buy this snare?

• Yes, it’s a great deal on a really nice snare

• No, you have plenty of nice snares already

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's a nice snare you're looking to buy. I had the 6.5 version and it was a killer! My take is figure out the one that's your least favorite, sell that, and buy the bronze Gretsch. Don't listen to the tightwads in here.

It's unhealthy to go through life denying what the heart yearns for.

Follow your heart not your head. Life is more interesting like that

When mummifying, the Egyptians would throw away the brain, not the heart.

They knew where the seat of real intelligence resides

Yes.. when i go for medical advice i grab those old Egyptian papyrus and look up some remedies :)

I had a few cast bronze snares and the weight each time made me sell them.
Gretsch makes two versions of bronze snares, phosphor bronze and “regular“ bronze. The phosphor bronze is the heavy one, but the one I’m considering is the regular bronze. I don’t know how much it weighs, but since it isn’t the phosphor bronze, I’m sure it’s okay.

That's a nice snare you're looking to buy. I had the 6.5 version and it was a killer! My take is figure out the one that's your least favorite, sell that, and buy the bronze Gretsch. Don't listen to the tightwads in here.
The issue I’m having with that strategy is the snare I would sell in that case is my 5.5x14 maple snare. But if I did that, my only wood snare would be my 13” cherry, but I really want a 14” maple snare for my jazz gigs. The bronze might work for jazz, but I’m not sure.

I could also consider selling my 5x14 COB Brooklyn snare (currently on my home kit with an RTOM Black Hole to keep the volume down), and then bringing home my 14” maple snare to put on my home kit (and keeping the bronze snare at the studio as an alt to my favorite snare). However my maple snare has die cast hoops vs. 302 hoops on the Brooklyn, and I already know that the RTOM Black Hole doesn’t really fit properly on that snare. So that would affect my ability to play at home, because playing with real heads isn’t an option.

And I don’t want to sell the 13” cherry, because I really like that size for a side snare. Selling my #1 NOB Brooklyn isn’t an option, as I absolutely love that snare.

So it’s not quite that simple.

Then again, I could leave it up to fate. The ad has already been up for a few days. If it’s still available by Saturday, then that’s the universe’s way of saying I should get it. But if it’s gone by then, then it was never meant to be.
In that case, I expect to see photos of your new snare by the middle of next week. :LOL:

Really, though, you're a serious player who devotes considerable thought to his gear selections. I'll respect your decision regardless of the result. The only reason I'm promoting that you hold off is that you've expressed reasonable doubt about the role the drum will serve in your arsenal. In my experience, buying in the presence of doubt leads to letdown. Unless I'm convinced of a drum's utility, I don't move forward. But that's just how I roll. I don't expect anyone else to subscribe to my standards.
I have to say, I’m very intrigued and tempted to buy that snare. And part of the reason why I was even browsing snares is because of your recent adventures. But I can’t seem to get over the fact that I don’t really have a place for it at the moment.
And here's how our situations are different. I had my eye on a Music City Custom snare for over a year. I waited, waited, and waited, making sure it was exactly what I wanted. And when every ounce of uncertainty had evaporated, I moved in for the kill. All the while, my intention was to make it my number-one snare, my drum for all seasons, keeping a backup snare on hand for emergency purposes only, which I hope I never have to address. Combine that plan with the intangibles my Music City Custom conveys to me (its symbol of Pearl's heritage, its place in Pearl's hierarchy, its unique craftsmanship in Nashville, and so on), and it becomes apparent that I've acquired a resource that is more than just a drum (in my mind) but a physical representation of my essence as a drummer. Yeah, that sounds pretentious, but it's true nevertheless.

I'm in no way implying that other players' purchases must meet the criteria I've described. In fact, I'm stating just the opposite: Each of us is motivated by distinct elements. One drummer's reason for buying gear isn't necessarily another's. In the end, we exercise freewill and accept the consequences. That's what life (and drumming) is all about -- freewill and consequences. May each man or woman carve his or her own destiny.

Last edited:
The issue I’m having with that strategy is the snare I would sell in that case is my 5.5x14 maple snare. But if I did that, my only wood snare would be my 13” cherry, but I really want a 14” maple snare for my jazz gigs. The bronze might work for jazz, but I’m not sure.

I could also consider selling my 5x14 COB Brooklyn snare (currently on my home kit with an RTOM Black Hole to keep the volume down), and then bringing home my 14” maple snare to put on my home kit (and keeping the bronze snare at the studio as an alt to my favorite snare). However my maple snare has die cast hoops vs. 302 hoops on the Brooklyn, and I already know that the RTOM Black Hole doesn’t really fit properly on that snare. So that would affect my ability to play at home, because playing with real heads isn’t an option.

And I don’t want to sell the 13” cherry, because I really like that size for a side snare. Selling my #1 NOB Brooklyn isn’t an option, as I absolutely love that snare.

So it’s not quite that simple.
It’s simple, it’s ultimately YOUR decision not ours.

The newly introduced semantics that we can’t foresee or help with such as now choosing a snare that would be on its way out?

The first post you said you could afford and no snare was on the chopping block.

I’m going home now.

1d40b891010ab4a660cf1620bc2a256a.gif

In that case, I expect to see photos of your new snare by the middle of next week. :LOL:

Really, though, you're a serious player who devotes considerable thought to his gear selections. I'll respect your decision regardless of the result. The only reason I'm promoting that you hold off is that you've expressed reasonable doubt about the role the drum will serve in your arsenal. In my experience, buying in the presence of doubt leads to letdown. Unless I'm convinced of a drum's utility, I don't move forward. But that's just how I roll. I don't expect anyone else to subscribe to my standards.

And here's how our situations are different. I had my eye on a Music City Custom snare for over a year. I waited, waited, and waited, making sure it was exactly what I wanted. And when every ounce of uncertainty had evaporated, I moved in for the kill. All the while, my intention was to make it my number-one snare, my drum for all seasons, keeping a backup snare on hand for emergency purposes only, which I hope I never have to address. Combine that plan with the intangibles my Music City Custom conveys to me (its symbol of Pearl's heritage, its place in Pearl's hierarchy, its unique craftsmanship in Nashville, and so on), and it becomes apparent that I've acquired a resource that is more than just a drum (in my mind) but a physical representation of my essence as a drummer. Yeah, that sounds pretentious, but it's true nevertheless.

I'm in no way implying that other players' purchases must meet the criteria I've described. In fact, I'm stating just the opposite: Each of us is motivated by distinct elements. One drummer's reason for buying gear isn't necessarily another's. In the end, we exercise freewill and accept the consequences. That's what life (and drumming) is all about -- freewill and consequences. May each man or woman carve his or her own destiny.
Going through that exercise of which snare I would sell to make room for this bronze snare just solidified what I was thinking all along. Every snare I currently own has its unique place in my arsenal, so I really don’t want to sell any of them. And while I can definitely afford to add the bronze as a 5th snare, I wouldn‘t have a real purpose for it other than occasionally swapping out for my nickel Brooklyn snare on my studio kit, which I absolutely adore. To me, that’s not a strong enough reason to buy it.

So I’ve decided to pass on it.

BTW, as I was typing this on my iPad, my 2nd sentence above didn’t quite come out how I intended: “Every snare I currently own has its unique place in my arse.” ;) Good thing I read through it before posting!

Going through that exercise of which snare I would sell to make room for this bronze snare just solidified what I was thinking all along. Every snare I currently own has its unique place in my arsenal, so I really don’t want to sell any of them. And while I can definitely afford to add the bronze as a 5th snare, I wouldn‘t have a real purpose for it other than occasionally swapping out for my nickel Brooklyn snare on my studio kit, which I absolutely adore. To me, that’s not a strong enough reason to buy it.

So I’ve decided to pass on it.
Makes sense to me. Plus, the decision doesn't have to be eternal. Six months from now, you might be more willing to part with a snare or two. Should that happen, the bronze shell will still be an option, but for now, there's nothing wrong with sustaining your status quo. Change for the sake of change can get circular, and thus pointless, really fast.
BTW, as I was typing this on my iPad, my 2nd sentence above didn’t quite come out how I intended: “Every snare I currently own has its unique place in my arse.” ;) Good thing I read through it before posting!
The error would certainly have introduced a new topic of discussion.

So here’s what I’m passing on, in case anyone was wondering. The snare appears to be in brand new condition, including the Gretsch batter head. The Enduro Pro padded road case also appears to be brand new. All for $400.

I‘m still wondering why I’m passing on this.

1627064141855.jpeg

Buy the snare sell the Maple or Mapex so you’ll have same number of snares to ease any guilt. It could end up your new favorite snare! And well you know your favorite snare almost seems magical - always there to meet your demands, seems to play itself , and you and it just sound awesome together. What if this is “The One” ?

Don’t listen to all these “reasonable” people- they are just holding you back from your destiny. What did “reason” ever give anyone - climate change and if we were reasonable when we were young we would never had any fun and been monks. wake up buy it

Last edited:
Looks like a great snare at a decent price. If $400 isn't going to be a problem for you, I'd consider getting it.

If it means you eat noodles for a month or something, then pass. :unsure:
I think I’d have to buy it like 100 times over before I’d have to resort to noodles for a month. Like I said previously, I can definitely afford it. I just don’t have a solid use for it.

So here’s what I’m passing on, in case anyone was wondering. The snare appears to be in brand new condition, including the Gretsch batter head. The Enduro Pro padded road case also appears to be brand new. All for $400.

I‘m still wondering why I’m passing on this.

View attachment 106605

Outlook update: It's increasingly apparent to me that you won't be at rest until landing this drum. If it's really eating away at you, get it and compare it to your other snares. You might determine that you no longer require the service of one of them. You can always sell a shell and return to a total of four. Regardless, if this model is gripping you more and more by the minute (which it is) and you can buy it without financial detriment (which you can), you might have no choice but to seal the deal.

Back