Should I buy this HipGig Kit?

trickg

Silver Member
I have the opportunity to buy a Yamaha HipGig drum kit, and there's a bit of a story behind why I want it, aside from the fact that they are pretty cool and Yamaha no longer makes them.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a professional level trumpet player, and for a few years I was playing trumpet in a Baltimore area big band known as Blue Moon Big Band. The drummer was a very talented and capable drummer named Marty Knepp, and this was his kit. He had other drums, but he gigged this kit all the time - this was the kit he used at rehearsals and gigs the whole time I was with the band. (2001-2004) I also took some lessons with Marty for a bit.

A few years ago, Marty passed away, and it happened very suddenly - he died from complications of acute pancreatitis - he went from being ok to being gone in a matter of about 3 weeks. In any case, these drums ended up being purchased by the guy who is now selling them.

Basically, it's $800 for the drums alone, $1000 including cymbals.

My conflict comes from a few reasons.

1.) I don't really need them - I currently have two full kits, one of which is a Gretsch Catalina Jazz Bop kit that I just got done putting together, complete with new heads and cases.

2.) It's $1000 coming right before the holidays - I could probably find other things to spend the money on.

The main reasons I want the kit is because it belonged to Marty, and I think it would make Marty happy knowing that someone is actually using those drums - currently they are just kind of sitting there. I had mad respect for Marty as a musician, and he was a heck of a nice guy.
He used to always say PAGTYA - Peace and Groove to You All. As to the condition of the drums, these drums got USED - probably 3-4 gigs/week, plus rehearsals, for a number of years, but I know that he took care of them, even if he did use them a lot. Marty eventually bought a really nice exotic wood Odery kit that he gigged with, and these drums were in his practice/studio space.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• hipgig1.jpg
    hipgig1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 346
  • hipgig2.jpg
    hipgig2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 336
If it was me, I would shell out the $200 for his cymbals and pass on the kit. If he was like the rest of us, the cymbals have way more personal value than the drums themselves.

But don't let me tell you what to do with your money. It is yours after all. :)

If it was me, I would shell out the $200 for his cymbals and pass on the kit. If he was like the rest of us, the cymbals have way more personal value than the drums themselves.

The cymbals weren't his - just the drums.

I think the fact that I'm vacillating on it so badly brings into play my Mom's sage words of advice, which in turn she got from her mother, who probably got them from her mother:

When in doubt, don't.

I'll stew on it a bit, buy my gut on this one is to pass.

You have your memories of Marty & your experiences with him. Things can be a bridge to those memories, but after all, they are just things.

Pass on this. It's just stuff, and you don't need it, and it's too much to buy just because someone you knew used it.

I will pipe in with differing opinion.
Hip gig kits are way fun, especially if you're not doing 'rock' music, or trying to compete with big amps on stage.

You won't lose your shirt if you decide to move on, and resell them; they hold their value well as long as you keep them in good condition.

Here is my "two bag drum set" thread from a while back.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113672

Still have these and still use them. They're not for every gig but great for some. Since I have a wood hoop on the batter head now, I am dying to try out the Yamaha EAD system with these. I could make the bass drum sound like a 28" if I wanted to...

Go for it if you can afford them!

1.) I don't really need them - I currently have two full kits, one of which is a Gretsch Catalina Jazz Bop kit that I just got done putting together, complete with new heads and cases.

2.) It's $1000 coming right before the holidays - I could probably find other things to spend the money on.....
Thoughts?

Despite the sentimental value, I'd say take a pass on them.

There's two on Reverb right now, one for $950 and one for $1100, neither includes cymbals or shipping. If you've got the room and can spare the cash, nothing wrong with having a kit that you've got a sentimental connection to, and money-wise this one seems like a good deal. If either the space or the cash is going to cause issues, though, you don't need a drum kit to remember your friend and what he meant to you.

From a gigging point of few definitely, Yamaha have missed the boat not bringing these back with the compact gigging kit trend that's kicked off big style. Compact kits are a joy to gig with and I can see why he used them for that for all those years. A very wise man!

If it's for memories I'd say pass, remember the good times and cherish them.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I am going to pass on these. I know the guy needs the money - he's currently out of work and that's why he's selling them, along with the fact that he doesn't use them - but I've definitely got some other things I could spend $1000 on, even though I could come up with the money.

Those drums aren't going to bring Marty back, and I already have a compact kit - maybe not as compact as this, but it's something I put a good deal of thought and money into with the drums themselves, cases, extra hardware, and that kind of thing.

Hopefully he gets it sold, and doesn't dump it for less than it's worth.

Hi Trick,
Little late for the party but I had the Al Foster hip gig, they are cool kits but to be honest, that bass drum being 23" deep took up too much floor space. Also not the lightest kit in the world to carry around either.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I am going to pass on these.

As Watso said, it's just stuff. The less stuff you have, the less stuff your family has to go through whenever you're gone.

And, even when we know this wasn't his cymbals, I'd still be happy take care of these for $200.

Back