Should I buy the Paiste PST7 set?

Psychedelic

Hello! I was wondering of buying the PST7 light set?

My drums are in a small room (7.5 x 7.5 feet) so would the light set be more suitable than the medium? (the light ride would be a bonus cause its crashable!). I don't like cymbals that would be too overpowering and harsh. I currently use pearl stock cymbals from my set and its weird that it sounds good! (or maybe because I haven't heard a professional sounding cymbal yet xD). I've been playing for about 3 months now and it's going great :)

The set costs $500 or P24,000 here in the Philippines. Cymbal selling here is sparse and most of the stuff are entry level. Although there are some used pro cymbals for sale, Its only 10-20% off from brand new so not much of a difference so buying used is hardly a good option for me.. The pro lines or K line set here sells for about $800 or P33,000 but that would be too expensive for me cause I'm still just a student saving up money from my allowance! Hahaha!

Should I get the pro lines instead or are the PST7's itself are awesome/professional sounding enough despite being intermediate level? I've heard, read, a lot of positive comments and reviews about the Paiste PST lines most especially the PST7's! P.S. Im still saving up money for this pack and it might take 6-12 months or so :)

Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited:
You're going to get all kinds of religion about this here.

In general, the cymbals are the most important investment.

Having said that, there Are legit low end values in cymbals out there.

Everyone's mileage varies, but I personally think the Paiste PSTs sound pretty good for the money. Yup, you can do way better for more money, but, they are pretty legit in my opinion.

I have a PST ride that is off the charts great.

Sabian XS or XSR are the best bang for the buck.
Same price range ,but better overall qualty.
Those are pro level cymbals at a medium price point.

Played the Paiste PST's and find they just don't measure up to the Sabians.

If you like the sound and they fit your budget, then yes buy them. You may not be able to re-sell later on at a decent rate, but idk your ears like them that is 90% of the battle.

If you like Paiste 2002's then you'll probably like the PST7 light set as they are somewhat close in sound. Resale value aside that's a good deal. Zildjian also has a 13" A New Beats/ A 18" crash/ride set for slightly less that could be an option?

Zildjian is now selling an S Family class of cymbals that are B 12 bronze for a fairly good price. I listened to a bunch of the videos last night and they sound good. They have 3 weight classes to suit most tastes. Try Youtube for a listen

Light or medium cymbals?

Okay, thanks for the advice and help everyone! I'm pretty much set giving a shot on the PST7's and test it out in the shop after months of research.
I might try other models such as the XS20/R (I heard that the XS20 are phased out, I hope its still on clearance sale!) and Zildjian S in the shop so I could compare and know what suits my taste.

Oh yeah would a light set of cymbals suit my situation?

I play always in my small room (usually w/ headphones) which is just 7.5' square feet (and 8.5' feet high). I don't smash my cymbals like a hulk. Although I really don't know the average playing capacity of a thin & medium cymbal. I always use my 7A Maple sticks. My friends sometimes visit so that we can practice. I never do gigs/live/events yet but we do plan in joining the BotB where I might use my set (if possible).

I like the light set PST7 better because it opens up easier, (better feel?), and lower in pitch (I don't like harsh sounding cymbals) but I'm afraid that it might be too low of a volume and overplay it or is it fine because its (96%) for home use only?

Thanks in advance!

I agree with above advice, in considering a z ildjian A/ or equiv set, they're just better sounding cymbals when you step up. The Paistes are okay but I personally would eventually upgrade anyway. You may not get a full set, but in the end, i think happier with the purchase.

Re: Light or medium cymbals?

Oh yeah would a light set of cymbals suit my situation?

In spite of the size of your drum room I'd still suggest the medium/universal set. I have a PST7 thin crash and medium crash, and I prefer the sound of the medium. It isn't a world of difference, and I don't think the medium is really going to sound any louder, but it has a fuller tone and it still opens up just fine.

I also think the medium ride and hi hats sound better than the light.

Ok thanks Winston! I just figured out for myself too xD I noticed that the mediums are actually fuller & crisper sounding than the thins based from Paiste's site and youtube.
I'm really excited getting a set of great cymbals! (Still about 8 months to go actually Hahaha!)

Sabian XS or XSR are the best bang for the buck.
Highly debatable. Many people will disagree. Me for example. ;-) IMO, you can get much better cymbals for the same money from some turkish cymbal manufacturers like Anatolian, Masterwork, Agean etc. But then, others prefer Paiste or Meinl or... well you get the idea. That is why people should go to a shop and try some cymbals in order to get an idea, what's best for them.

If you are on a budget, Paiste is an awesome choice. I haven't played the PST7s but they look and sound pretty good to me over the interweb.

You could get some second-hand B8 Paistes and save some money. :)

Back