Should I bother with this project? opinions

no talent

I recently inherited a 12x18 3 ply Ludwg bass drum. I believe it is from a jazette kit. It will need everything. its missing the retractable legs, only has one poor hoop, and the consolette which i would love has been replaced by a center mount. also, it was originally silver sparkle, at least the inlay on the bass drum hoop is, but it has been painted red. I do happen to have the correct tom sizes to go with it but the entire kit will need to be wrapped. so, while adding up the coast of heads, wrap, hoops, consolette, spurs, etc, it starts to exceed the value of the finished product, it will never be a matching number kit like a true jazzette i just want it to be playable. the real issue is, i was offered by a fan of my swing band to foot the cost of 500 for nothing in return ( sounds strang i know but he love the band and has a ton of dough.) should i just tell him for that kind of money, i can get a decent used players kit? part of me doesnt have the desire to do this project.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
For the money, whether he pays or you, I'm not sure it's worth the time, unless you have a lot of it.

no talent

For the money, whether he pays or you, I'm not sure it's worth the time, unless you have a lot of it.
thats just it, time. the wrap would also be he complete glue type which takes even more time and effort to apply. silver sparkle to match the tom i already have. its just a pain the more i think of it. also the consolette has to be won on ebay, they dont make them anymore.

wildbill

Platinum Member
It would be a labor of love - in other words, pass.

If it were something you really wanted to do,
and were itching to get on with it, then yes, take it on.

But it doesn't sound like that at all.

No Me Metro

It appears that the costs of parts, labor and time would exceed the value of the finished project to you, so don't bother.

I would probably thank the fan of the swing band for the offer but also tell him that you don't have the time or desire to take on such a project.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I bought four drums. Floor tom, two rack toms, and a snare. Converted the floor to a bass drum, the 13 tom to a floor, bought a lot of hardware and hoops, wrap for all 4 drums, my time, which I have a lot of and have about 300.00 in the drums and I will never play them, just no room, but I know I won't get my 300.00 back by selling so I am stuck with them. Unless this is something that you are dying to do I would pass.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Unless you're friendly with a Ludwig restorer who'll do the lot for parts then I'd steer clear.

Players kit sounds favourite, you don't feel so guilty when the inevitable gig knocks happen :)