Should an Outgoing Band Member Be Included in the Audition Process of Their Replacement?

Tony_H

TL;DR: Should an outgoing band member be included in the audition and selection process of their replacement?

So an interesting situation came up recently. A member of our band informed us that they are leaving to seek employment out of the area. There are no issues with this and we have plenty of time to find a replacement for this member of the band. Where we are having discourse is having the outgoing member attending auditions and providing input their potential replacement. I believe that discussions on potential candidates would be limited as to not offend or upset the current member (e.g. Did hear/see/feel the intensity in song X).

Where I differ from the majority on this, is that the outgoing member should not be a part of the audition and selection process.

I'm very interested in other thoughts on either side of this topic?

Personally, I'd want nothing to do with seeing how the new guy will interpret my parts I spent a lot of time getting right. While I know everyone has a different take on what's being played, if I know I'm out, then I'm out.
I don't need to be a part of who they select.

Personally, I'd want nothing to do with seeing how the new guy will interpret my parts I spent a lot of time getting right. While I know everyone has a different take on what's being played, if I know I'm out, then I'm out.
I don't need to be a part of who they select.
I agree. If I was leaving a project, I would continue with my commitments until I'm no longer needed, or at the end of the period of time I agreed to.

I imagine preparing to move has utmost importance over teaching the new guy. That's y'alls job.
Yes, and they should fit in to the group dynamics in their own way. Agreed. But this is specifically focused on the auditioning process and being a part of selecting their replacement, which if I wasn't fully clear, I am not a fan of.

Depends on the circumstances.

I'd not be against helping out if the band needed my opinion, but I think it would be a little weird for all parties.

Plus I'd not be recommending a drummer who needs help from someone else to learn his parts.

I've been involved in a scenario where myself and the second guitar player were both leaving at the same time, and the guys asked me to play for them while they were auditioning the replacement for the second guitar player, which I gladly did. (We're all still friends to this day, including the incoming guitar player)

I wasn't invited to the audition for my replacement, and I think that might have been uncomfortable. I would have done it, had they asked, as we were all friends first, before band mates. And I ended up running sound for them a few times after they got established. But not during the process.

I've been involved in a scenario where myself and the second guitar player were both leaving at the same time, and the guys asked me to play for them while they were auditioning the replacement for the second guitar player, which I gladly did. (We're all still friends to this day, including the incoming guitar player)

I wasn't invited to the audition for my replacement, and I think that might have been uncomfortable. I would have done it, had they asked, as we were all friends first, before band mates. And I ended up running sound for them a few times after they got established. But not during the process.
Yeah, everything about this situation is mutual and we all get along great. I am just the only one in the group that doesn't feel that this person should be involved in the audition and selection process, and have vocalized it to everyone. They are leaving on great terms and they will always be invited to come up and perform a song or two if they are in town.

I just thought I would throw this out to a wider audience to see if I was reading too much into it.

Depends on the circumstances.
Yep. Such as how vested the member is in the group, and the terms under which they're leaving. If it's an acrimonious split, it's probably best to not have the outgoing member be involved. But if it's all good, that member can be valuable in helping to make the best decision.

While I haven't had to help choosing a permanent replacement for myself, I have chosen most of my subs based on their ability (not that I'm doing any difficult stuff... ) their consistency, their age and likelihood they'd be familiar with - and enjoy playing - the songs the band plays, and especially their personality.

But this is specifically focused on the auditioning process and being a part of selecting their replacement, which if I wasn't fully clear, I am not a fan of.
I'm with you. I dont think his input is necessary.

As this is a permanent departure - they are leaving town, etc. - I don't see any reason for the outgoing member to be involved in auditioning and selecting who fills the gap they've created. That's for the rest of you to decide.

Yep. Such as how vested the member is in the group, and the terms under which they're leaving. If it's an acrimonious split, it's probably best to not have the outgoing member be involved. But if it's all good, that member can be valuable in helping to make the best decision.

While I haven't had to help choosing a permanent replacement for myself, I have chosen most of my subs based on their ability (not that I'm doing any difficult stuff... ) their consistency, their age and likelihood they'd be familiar with - and enjoy playing - the songs the band plays, and especially their personality.
Thanks for the input, I really like hearing both sides and see the different aspects of this situation. We have a fantastic group that not only get along musically, but we also get along very well on a personal level. I'll expand more with PGM's post.

If you respect their opinion ,then why not?
Their opinion on where the band goes musically, and as a person is highly respected. When they leave, a big part of our overall identity is going with them. This does not mean that there is any malice with their decision, because we all understand their professional career opportunities are far outweigh a pretty fun time performing local with a cover band (we all have full time careers).

I guess my two main points of contention are:
1) As we look to find a new member, we aren't replacing "that person", because that can never happen. What we all share together on stage and even personally with the inter-dynamics of the band are unique to that person. What we are doing is looking for the next stage in our journey with someone who fits with our playing style, personalities, and have their own unique awesome qualities. That outgoing member will not be part of that journey, so I don't feel like they should have any say in it.

2) With that outgoing member at auditions or part of the selection process, I don't think the rest of the members can be truly honest in discussions about the people that we are interacting with. If someone comes in and blows the roof off, I have a feeling that the rest of us won't be able to truly express how great they play, how well they mesh with us, etc.. Some would be very uncomfortable and overly sensitive to "downplay" the great audition as to not unintentionally devalue or upset the outgoing member.

Thanks for the input, I really like hearing both sides and see the different aspects of this situation. We have a fantastic group that not only get along musically, but we also get along very well on a personal level. I'll expand more with PGM's post.

Their opinion on where the band goes musically, and as a person is highly respected. When they leave, a big part of our overall identity is going with them. This does not mean that there is any malice with their decision, because we all understand their professional career opportunities are far outweigh a pretty fun time performing local with a cover band (we all have full time careers).

I guess my two main points of contention are:
1) As we look to find a new member, we aren't replacing "that person", because that can never happen. What we all share together on stage and even personally with the inter-dynamics of the band are unique to that person. What we are doing is looking for the next stage in our journey with someone who fits with our playing style, personalities, and have their own unique awesome qualities. That outgoing member will not be part of that journey, so I don't feel like they should have any say in it.

2) With that outgoing member at auditions or part of the selection process, I don't think the rest of the members can be truly honest in discussions about the people that we are interacting with. If someone comes in and blows the roof off, I have a feeling that the rest of us won't be able to truly express how great they play, how well they mesh with us, etc.. Some would be very uncomfortable and overly sensitive to "downplay" the great audition as to not unintentionally devalue or upset the outgoing member.
People are responsible for their own feelings.

There are no rules.
I'd certainly be happy to be involved. If I was the one doing the audition I'd be uncomfortable, but auditions are difficult anyway, it's my problem to get over, not the bands.
If I was involved I wouldn't be comparing my playing of the songs with the person auditioning. I would be advising the band as any drummer would.
Auditions are not 100% factual, they are about gut feelings, hunches. If you have two or more applicants that are equally qualified and equally good sounding, then having another drummer there might help the guitarists and singers focus their minds.

I'd recommend someone if I knew someone and I was leaving on good terms. That's just professional courtesy.

As for being at the audition, that's not my problem anymore and I really wouldn't be offended if I was told otherwise.

I agree with Chris and pgm554 if the outgoing musician can help guide the process then yes. Ultimately the choice is the remaining members’ though. There should be no ego involved.

If my leaving was of my own doing and everything was cool, I still wouldn't want to be there. However, if the new recruit had specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them maybe outside of their auditions/rehearsals.

Back