Shot down by Mapex :(

So is part of this message saying that no matter what all of us talk about on here, or other sites, has no effect what so ever on a company. That is sad.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain,for he knows not of what he speaks,my Canadian friend.

More than few major drum companys lurk ,and actually used to post on drum forums.They do actually pay attention to what is said there.Its free market research,and focus group feedback.How can you pass that up?

Why do you think a certain major American drum maker,is reintroducing a vintage series of drums,in traditional vintage sizes Sticks?

Coinsidence?Not on your life.:)

Steve B

Just remember. Without me and people like me, they don't have a company. In the beginning we are doing them a favor by buying their products. For some reason when they get bigger, they are doing us a favor. :/

Just remember. Without me and people like me, they don't have a company. In the beginning we are doing them a favor by buying their products. For some reason when they get bigger, they are doing us a favor. :/

+1

20 characters

Hah! I just had this hilarious image of this angry brunet Canadian busting into a Taiwanese factory.

Factory worker: "Look out he's got drumsticks!"

Sticks: "OK! Hand over the 8" tom and no one gets hurt!"

Canadian drummer holds Taiwanese factory workers hostage..............demanding tom.....protesters outside yelling Sticks for Drums !!!!!...Sticks for Drums !!!!...............news at 11 :)LMAO

Steve B

That is a regular Sku for Arctic White Saturn.

I have an idea for you sticks. I can't remember the shell construction of your sparkly kit- is it standard Saturn or birch/walnut? Anyhow, do they make an 8x8 in any other finish? Buy one and have it refinished by a high end custom auto painter. I'm sure they could match the finish for you. It might cost a little more, but at least you would have the kit that you want. Is the issue that the finish is no longer available/discontinued or is it just that the 8x8 isn't generally produced/available. If it's any consolation, which I'm sure it's not, we've never even seen that finish this side of the pond....

Earlier on in the forum I read "Email the Pres."

Well, here's an interesting story. I was NEVER a Pro-mark guy, infact... I hated the sticks! I had three pairs that broke really quickly and I bought an oak pair and they fell apart. So I emailed Rick from D'arddio and he apologized for my bad experience with the brand and offered me sticks, I get them within a day and they are now my favourite sticks!

I've been using them since August and I'd loved to get signed by them if I ever hit the road.

On the side note, Mapex do ALOT of sponsoring for drum competitions and stuff so they are a respected company and I reckon if you find the email then you can email about your issue and they will do what they can.

http://usa.mapexdrums.com/news/071404_vasko.asp

I, aswell am a proud Mapex owner (though, I own a mix of hardware. Really like Tama and Yamaha hardware). Even if the company refused to build me something then I wouldn't care, no matter how much money I spent. - they aren't a custom drum manufacturer like DW, remember that.

Some companies can't build some sizes, but what I don't understand is that I have an 8x8 Meridian Maple tom IN ROOTBEER BURST (A Saturn Finish). That kind of confuses me a little? But email the Vice-President and he could probably try and do something.

P.S. I've had my eye on some Starclassic Maples or Bubinga's, but I'd still use Mapex forever! But, I don't have the cash for whatever I want. Jobs aren't easy to find these days. :(

I have an idea for you sticks. I can't remember the shell construction of your sparkly kit- is it standard Saturn or birch/walnut? Anyhow, do they make an 8x8 in any other finish? Buy one and have it refinished by a high end custom auto painter. I'm sure they could match the finish for you. It might cost a little more, but at least you would have the kit that you want. Is the issue that the finish is no longer available/discontinued or is it just that the 8x8 isn't generally produced/available. If it's any consolation, which I'm sure it's not, we've never even seen that finish this side of the pond....
The drum I am looking for is a 8 x 8 in the limited edition birch/walnut Yellow Ocher finish. They do not sku this drum, but they have made the 8 x 8 in the birch/walnut Sienna fade finish of which I was lucky to score one. I just wanted the same size drum for my Ocher setup. The do have the mold around, and the sparkly paint to make the drum. It is not going to change my world, if I don't get it. I just didn't think they would say no.

Hey Sticks if you decide to jump ship I know a custom company just a little south of the border from you getting ready to release a pro level, all wood, lugless design, and will build any size, any depth with your choice of hoops, heads and hardware. I am willing bet they would appreciate your kind of brand loyalty more than the big name companies would. Just let me know if your interested.

The drum I am looking for is a 8 x 8 in the limited edition birch/walnut Yellow Ocher finish. They do not sku this drum, but they have made the 8 x 8 in the birch/walnut Sienna fade finish of which I was lucky to score one. I just wanted the same size drum for my Ocher setup. The do have the mold around, and the sparkly paint to make the drum. It is not going to change my world, if I don't get it. I just didn't think they would say no.

Just read that the Yellow Ochler was a limited edition finish and only a select few kits in Walnut/Birch were made. So finding the tom WOULD be a mission...

Just read that the Yellow Ochler was a limited edition finish and only a select few kits in Walnut/Birch were made. So finding the tom WOULD be a mission...

It's like me going into a store and ordering a Tama Warlord Masia kit... That's not happening. Haha!
The reason why is because some kits are limited run (my Meridian Maple for example.) So they do some custom orders for 3 months after and then stop.

I had ordered the rest of my kit 2 days after the deadline for the discontinued finish, but Mapex were kind enough to make me the toms anyways. So they can't all be that bad?

We have cookies!

... And carbonply custom shells.

I love Pearl drums. If I didn't love Ludwig more, I'd play Pearl, in a heartbeat. I've owned both Pearl and Mapex, and I can honestly say - and I'm not trying to pick a fight here - that Pearl wins in every category. Quality (perfect), looks (sexy), attention to detail (unmatched), and sound (excellent!) My Reference drums were a very close second to the Classic Maples I play now, in personal preference. If Ref. Pure had been around when I was looking at Pearl, I might never have gone back to Ludwig.

I mean this, sticksy. I'm not nearly as passionate on the brands and gear side of things, as you are, so it's just not as important to me (especially these days.) I don't have an interest in bashing or promoting any particular brand, in earnest. It's too bad Mapex won't build you a custom drum. Pearl will build you any ridonkulous, crazy-ass drum you can think up...and slap on 20 different finishes, in a leopard stripe pattern, if you so desire. Of course...it'll cost ya.

It's like me going into a store and ordering a Tama Warlord Masia kit... That's not happening. Haha!
The reason why is because some kits are limited run (my Meridian Maple for example.) So they do some custom orders for 3 months after and then stop.

I had ordered the rest of my kit 2 days after the deadline for the discontinued finish, but Mapex were kind enough to make me the toms anyways. So they can't all be that bad?
Buddy. You are missing the point a bit here. It is not finding one that is already made, it is making one from scratch. :)

Wasn't meant to be harsh at all and certainly not harsh towards you specifically.

That's about right.

Guess reading comprehension is a bit low today, eh? Too harsh for you? Sorry. Didn't say anywhere in that post that drum companies don't do it. Gave many reasons why they will choose not to based upon many factors. How much product one has purchases or how active one is on a forum or personal website not withstanding. These requests are evaluated on an individual basis and going forward with filling any certain request is based upon differing factors. Expense is just one consideration. Read it once more if you had trouble the first time.

No..I was right the first time.You said"I think the responses slamming Mapex(or any othe drum company for that matter)for not making a "one off"for someone is adsurd.You want a custom drum?Call a custom drum company."

Justification for slamming Mapex is clearly in evidence.Other makers certainly do accomodate their clients,what not Mapex?I don't care if its problematic,take care of your customer.It was ok to take his money first,second,and third time around though.

Its certainly NOT absurd,in light of the fact that custom work,by large drum companys, is an industry standard,and not an exception,as in the case of Mapex.

Your solution is to "call a custom drum company".Hardly an enlightened response.A customer has the right to expect ,a higher level of satisfaction.He dosen't want custom drum makers drum,he wants Mapex,and that company owes its customers,a different level of customer satisfaction.What WAS ludicrous was your suggestion.

So these weren't your statements?I think maybe you should re evaluate, your way of clearly expressing your ideas.Or did I misquote you?

Your post wasn't meant to be harsh?But it was harsh.Again ..better brush up on the communication skills.When you start telling people that they are absurd,ludicrous,your post obviously comes across as something less that friendly,and maybe just a little condescending.I wasn't the only one who infered that ,in your somewhat ,brusk writing style.

My reading comprehension skills are fine thank you,and I had no trouble reading your excellent post, the first time.

Steve B

Last edited:
I love Pearl drums. If I didn't love Ludwig more, I'd play Pearl, in a heartbeat. I've owned both Pearl and Mapex, and I can honestly say - and I'm not trying to pick a fight here - that Pearl wins in every category. Quality (perfect), looks (sexy), attention to detail (unmatched), and sound (excellent!) My Reference drums were a very close second to the Classic Maples I play now, in personal preference. If Ref. Pure had been around when I was looking at Pearl, I might never have gone back to Ludwig.

I mean this, sticksy. I'm not nearly as passionate on the brands and gear side of things, as you are, so it's just not as important to me (especially these days.) I don't have an interest in bashing or promoting any particular brand, in earnest. It's too bad Mapex won't build you a custom drum. Pearl will build you any ridonkulous, crazy-ass drum you can think up...and slap on 20 different finishes, in a leopard stripe pattern, if you so desire. Of course...it'll cost ya.
Pearl make great drums, just like Mapex, DW, Ludwig, especially now that they updated their stands finally, along with many other companies. You can't rate them as one being better than the other, with any factual measurement. It is all very personal. Nobody makes a drum with birch/walnut, or maple/walnut that sounds like my Saturn's. That is factual. I really didn't care who made them when I found them. All I cared about was that they sounded better than anything else to me.

Most of you know me as a pretty big Mapex Saturn promoter. I have spent in the ball park of 14 thousand dollars on their drums, and hardware. The other day I put in a request to a very strong Mapex dealer, to have an 8 x 8 tom in the yellow ocher sparkle made for me. This is not a stock size that carries a Mapex sku number. They do however have the mould to make one. I have an 8 x 8 for my burl kit that the same store got for me from Mapex, that they made a couple of for artists. Well Mapex said no, even after the Mapex USA guy explained to them, my history with the companies product. I found this a little hard to accept. Helped me realize that we have to be careful about being too brand loyal. We are just dollar signs to them. :(

That's really weird. I would think they'd do what they can to keep a customer happy, especially if you were willing to pay for it. I'm not sure if that's the way all companies do business, but I would think DW, since they're local in the US (Oxnard, CA, as a matter of fact) could crank out a special drum for a customer in a heartbeat. That's too bad.

Question: do they make an 8" tom in the series and color you were looking for? Maybe they want it to be 8x7?

So Mapex have a new logo now....

393236_10150820971606729_31026926728_10870651_652893788_n.jpg

Anyway, that does suck. I imagine for them to make a single custom tom is going to pretty inconvenient and expensive, and barely profitable. Here's one idea - I'm sure there will be times where, for a few days, their factory is making demo/prototypes/one off examples, for shows, product tests, etc. This might be a chance for them to make your tom as they aren't necessarily deviating from whatever model the factory is building at the time.

I'm assuming that's how this photo came about, found on their FB page:

387526_10150792705851729_31026926728_10776295_647995254_n.jpg

Have you talked to their marketing manager Jason? He was a nice guy, I'm sure someone at his level and position could get this done for you. I talked to him on FB a while back.

That's really weird. I would think they'd do what they can to keep a customer happy, especially if you were willing to pay for it. I'm not sure if that's the way all companies do business, but I would think DW, since they're local in the US (Oxnard, CA, as a matter of fact) could crank out a special drum for a customer in a heartbeat. That's too bad.

Question: do they make an 8" tom in the series and color you were looking for? Maybe they want it to be 8x7?

Hey buddy. I just copied and posted this from earlier on. I have typed it out a couple of times already on here. :)

So Mapex have a new logo now....

393236_10150820971606729_31026926728_10870651_652893788_n.jpg

387526_10150792705851729_31026926728_10776295_647995254_n.jpg

Have you talked to their marketing manager Jason? He was a nice guy, I'm sure someone at his level and position could get this done for you. I talked to him on FB a while back.

The guy who did the new logo and the drums is currently detained in a mental institution under heavy sedation.... or at least he should be! Like Kettles says, I'm sure if you could get in touch with the right guy something could be done. The only non standard process would be the shell finish, I'm sure all the other components would be available to them, even the shells.

Hey buddy. I just copied and posted this from earlier on. I have typed it out a couple of times already on here. :)

I wonder if they woulda' said no to Gregg BIssonette.....

Back