Shot down by Mapex :(

That sucks Sticks, I know as others do on the forum how LOYAL you are to Mapex but it comes down to business is business but it is a slap in the face.

Great customer service is hard to find anymore but maybe if you keeps bugging them they may bend. as the saying goes "The squeaky hinge gets oiled first"

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Hey buddy. I have no doubt what so ever that if I was dealing with a company like yours, this would not even be a topic. I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat here. I have more drums than anybody should. This just kind of took me back a bit. Made me remember who I was to them in the grand scheme of things. I won't loose any sleep over it. Just didn't think it was going to be a hard thing to accomplish. In my pre-medication days, I might of been on a plane to Taiwan. Look out! :)
I wasn't using your misfortune to make a point, I was simply replying to Richard.J's post when he said every drum company is all about the $.

I'm genuinely saddened by your experience, because most of us know how it feels when your efforts are not appreciated. I'd still consider bypassing the distributor & petitioning Mapex directly. & yes, a link to this thread, a few more on this forum, & your own site would paint a picture. If, after viewing all that, & they have the ability to make your drum, they come back & refuse to cooperate, even at a premuim, then you know how you're thought of.

On the harsh reality side of the discussion, if you're buying into a product that's banged out by the 1,000's, no matter how well made it is, you can't expect to receive the same accomodation as you would from a more bespoke focussed operation. Mapex kits are good value for money, & part of the reason why is down to volume batch manufacture. You have to accept that fact. Indeed the answer may be even more simple than that. Maybe they bought a job lot of ply sheet, decided to make a limited run from it, & they've run out of raw material. Just a thought.

Hey buddy. Your back. :) Can you expound a little on your post.

No, it was Algorithm's signature. It's a song by The Clash called 'Lost in the Supermarket'.

Now onto matters here. That does rather suck but sadly this can be the case with larger companies sometimes. You have invested a lot in your Mapex kits and done a lot to raise their profile here; although they seem quite capable of doing that themselves if the London Drum Show was anything to go by. The attitude you've had back is disappointing and in your situation I'd probably feel much the same. I would want them to make a special case too (wouldn't everyone?) but I do think of all the 'regular' customers Mapex have (i.e. not with artist deals) you probably deserve more a break than anyone.

So I can see why you're disappointed. Now I'm going to eat some cake.

That is true. They will. I think I am somewhere in-between the two though. Many of the regulars on here have admitted that I kind of really opened people's eye's to the Mapex brand over the last year. I have my own web site that I talk a lot about my kits. My Monster kit has had lots of attention on many websites, and on youtube. I have spent a crap load on their product, and I could even venture to say that I probably give their product more exposure, than a lot of their smaller endorsed players, that nobody every hears about, do. The internet reaches a lot of folks. This site alone reaches many drummers around the world.

I'd also contact them directly. Several times, if necessary.

Sometimes you get lucky, and you find an employee who can be bothered to help.

I've had great luck in the past dealing with DW, then good luck with one Paiste rep, but bad luck with another Paiste rep.

Patrice

I wasn't using your misfortune to make a point, I was simply replying to Richard.J's post when he said every drum company is all about the $.

I'm genuinely saddened by your experience, because most of us know how it feels when your efforts are not appreciated. I'd still consider bypassing the distributor & petitioning Mapex directly. & yes, a link to this thread, a few more on this forum, & your own site would paint a picture. If, after viewing all that, & they have the ability to make your drum, they come back & refuse to cooperate, even at a premuim, then you know how you're thought of.

On the harsh reality side of the discussion, if you're buying into a product that's banged out by the 1,000's, no matter how well made it is, you can't expect to receive the same accomodation as you would from a more bespoke focussed operation. Mapex kits are good value for money, & part of the reason why is down to volume batch manufacture. You have to accept that fact. Indeed the answer may be even more simple than that. Maybe they bought a job lot of ply sheet, decided to make a limited run from it, & they've run out of raw material. Just a thought.
They have lots of material. They just introduced four new colours in the same limited edition set. I am sure they still have lots of sparkle paint and lacquer left as well. :) Big company, small person. Like I said, 3 years ago, this would not of been a problem with them. They are getting bigger, and I am getting smaller. That was a good saying. I think I will write that down. :)

No, it was Algorithm's signature. It's a song by The Clash called 'Lost in the Supermarket'.

Now onto matters here. That does rather suck but sadly this can be the case with larger companies sometimes. You have invested a lot in your Mapex kits and done a lot to raise their profile here; although they seem quite capable of doing that themselves if the London Drum Show was anything to go by. The attitude you've had back is disappointing and in your situation I'd probably feel much the same. I would want them to make a special case too (wouldn't everyone?) but I do think of all the 'regular' customers Mapex have (i.e. not with artist deals) you probably deserve more a break than anyone.

So I can see why you're disappointed. Now I'm going to eat some cake.
Thanks buddy. Good reply! Don't eat too much. :)

Everyone who frequents this forum should send a letter to Mapex petitioning them to make this drum, citing Sticks' efforts to promote their brand.

Show me where and I'll send 'em one for ya, Sticks.

This is really disapointing,but not unexpected.

Does Mapex even make an 8x8 tom in that ply lay up?

Not for nothing Glen,but it's not just the 14 K you personally spent on their drums. How many kits did you sell for them.?Think about it.How many posters on this forum,purchased Mapex because YOU convinced then to?.How many purchased Mapex,because of advice YOU gave on your website.?

You're personally responsible for many thousands of dollares in sales,as Mapex's unofficial ambassador.

Not even a keychain?:(

This is why companys go out of business....lack of customer service.A little OT here,but there was an article on the web,stating the same thing about Best Buy,and how their lack of customer service,and proper employee training,will be their demise

Gladstone drum will make the walnut/maple shell and get the Mapex hardware,but the finish may be problematic,but not impossible.,and not cheap.

Anyway..sorry to hear that your favorite drum company,let you down.This will bite them in the arse,a small bite,but a bite none the less.Cheers;)

Steve B.

Here is an analogy to go with my new saying. "They are getting bigger, I am getting smaller"

Think of it as buildings. A company starts out in a small shop, and the owner, or head of the company has his office on the ground floor. I am standing outside looking at his store front, and admiring his goods in the window. Say like a "Guru" company. The owner looks out his window and says hi. We chat a bit and I leave feeling good about his product. Many years pass, and I walk up to the same company, but now the building is very large. Maybe 10 stories tall. The owner no longer resides there. The man that runs the company has his office on the top floor. He looks out his window, and all he can see is a small blur on the sidewalk. He can't even talk to me anymore, because I won't be able to hear him at such a lofty location. My stature as a person in size has not changed, but the companies stature has. :(

Personally if its all about brand loyalty than its about choosing the lesser of the evils. You cant always get what you want, whether you got the money or not. If i was going to be spending upwards of 14 k i would get the best damn 7 piece i could get. In that case i would go with DW. But i tell you what, that mapex walnut/birch set is something i have never heard nor seen, and its only 1900.00 without a snare, idk i think mapex sold me on this. I have been looking forever to find something so unique without being overpriced, thats why i was thinking of building my own kit with keller shells, but brand loyalty or not, this kit is amazing, and its a steal. I could have the same size tama that 100,000 other people have for the same amount money, or have this beauty that only 100 people have, spend the same amount of money, and have a better product...just my opinion.

8 mile, Tamadrum, KIS, Bonzolead, Mad about drums,MFB and many others. You guys are really cool. Thanks for being around. I really appreciate you guys. I like to think I make a contribution on here, if only a little. Makes me feel great. Thanks guys. Glen. ooooo, sorry no kisses! :)

I think that the responses here slamming Mapex (or any other drum company for that matter) for not making a "one off" for someone are absurd. You want a custom drum? Call a custom drum company. Even more absurd is to try to justify it because some guy spends $14K worth of product from said company. No manufacturer is going to give a rats a** about some guy and his website or forum activity in terms of supposed product exposure and marketing.

There are custom manufacturers and there are off the shelf volume manufacturers. Production process,economics, accounting and sofware considerations are affected when a company has to vier off of it's SOP. This doesn't apply to just the drum industry.

I have empathy for the disappointment felt here, but, to actually think that there would be a cause and effect relationship here is ludicrous.
Well that was a little harsh, and I don't agree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion. :)

I think that the responses here slamming Mapex (or any other drum company for that matter) for not making a "one off" for someone are absurd. You want a custom drum? Call a custom drum company. Even more absurd is to try to justify it because some guy spends $14K worth of product from said company. No manufacturer is going to give a rats a** about some guy and his website or forum activity in terms of supposed product exposure and marketing.

There are custom manufacturers and there are off the shelf volume manufacturers. Production process,economics, accounting and sofware considerations are affected when a company has to vier off of it's SOP. This doesn't apply to just the drum industry.

I have empathy for the disappointment felt here, but, to actually think that there would be a cause and effect relationship here is ludicrous.

Where's that "Like" button at?

So is part of this message saying that no matter what all of us talk about on here, or other sites, has no effect what so ever on a company. That is sad.

You're entitled to your opinion,but I strongly disagree.Asking for a custom size or finish was,and still is SOP with all the major Anerican and Asian drum companys.Lets look at the facts,not an opinion.

Companys like Tama and Ludwig come to mind.I have an 8x6 double head tom that Tama made for me in 77.The lugs are off set,but it has the regular superstar badge,muffler,and bearing edges top and botton,stained the same as the interior,with a standard tom mount.Genuine custom made,and one of a kind.

If you frequent drum forums long enough,Ludwig will stand out as an example of a company that did lots of factory custom work.Drums turn up all the time with factory finishes that were not available at the time the drum was made. Examination of the drum reveals that it is in fact genuine.There is a famous example of this in the Beatles roof top concert.Ringo is playing a drum set that should not exist.Maple thermogloss finish was not in the catalog till the 70's.

Ludwig with still custom wrap a drum set,if you send them the wrap or lacquer you want.They will also put whatever badge you want on a drum too.

Absurd and luidicrous?I think not.I believe you may not know as much about drum companys and custom manufacturing as you think.There are countless examples of custom and one offs, if you just visit a forum ot two.I'm looking at my Tama tom that the catalogue says dosen't exist, right now.

I think you need to research your position before posting,and maybe try,not being so harsh the next time you post here.Do on to others,no?

Steve B

Back