Short book of Doubles Fills around the kit?

Frank

Gold Member
I'd like to practice some doubles fills around the kit. Doesn't have to be massively complex. Looking more for some inspiration on a body of fills that sound great around the kit up to speed, focused on double strokes.

I practice some myself, but just stuff that comes to mind. I need some inspiration. Again, fills all with double strokes - not just variants for the snare, but more about stuff that sounds great and uses the whole kit.

Steve Weiss has some books that apply doubles to the drum set. I haven’t used them in my practice (or teaching) since they are very specific to one concept. However, you can look at the preview images to get an idea of the content.

Swingin’ Doubles Around the Drums

Double Stroke Drum Rudment

Syncopation and Rolls for the Drum Set

Stick Control for the Drum Set

Another thing you can do is practice inverted double strokes, where you would play R L L R, R L L R, R L L R, etc...

That would give you a more contemporary sounding, 1 a, 2 a, 3 a, 4 a as a rhythm on the RH (as opposed to 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e).

Moving the LH around would give the rhythm of a repetitive “e &”

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Steve Weiss has some books that apply doubles to the drum set. I haven’t used them in my practice (or teaching) since they are very specific to one concept. However, you can look at the preview images to get an idea of the content.

Swingin’ Doubles Around the Drums

Double Stroke Drum Rudment

Syncopation and Rolls for the Drum Set

Stick Control for the Drum Set

Another thing you can do is practice inverted double strokes, where you would play R L L R, R L L R, R L L R, etc...

That would give you a more contemporary sounding, 1 a, 2 a, 3 a, 4 a as a rhythm on the RH (as opposed to 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e).

Moving the LH around would give the rhythm of a repetitive “e &”

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thank you so much. Very helpful.

I purchased a Double Strokes Workout in Grooves and Fills lesson from TotalDrummer, and it was very rudimentary.

The easiest way is to experiment by yourself. Play any single-stroke fill and double up the notes and you've got a double stroke roll fill.

The Sticking Patterns book by Gary Chafee has a section on double strokes around the drums if you want to check that out.

Stickings & Orchestrations by Casey Scheuerell (studied with Chaffe BTW) goes over a lot of fill possibilities with paradiddles, etc, over a musical line.

Back