Shoes or no shoes

MntnMan62

Interestingly, I am able to have better control when I am wearing shoes than without. It may have something to do with a sole of a shoe or sneaker providing me with some rigidity and support that allows my foot to more consistently get my bass drum pedal moving. I can play barefoot or with socks, just not as well.

Stevedot2

I used to play without shoes as I could only do double kick with heel toe technique. I felt like this was limiting me so switched to playing with shoes a few years ago. Can no longer do heel toe but have developed my technique far better. Also it's just less faff when playing gigs and you don't have to worry about treading over a filthy stage in just socks.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I only play barefoot. If I can't actually feel the pedals, I can't work them...every gig from the dirtiest dive bar to the most upscale wedding, the shoes and sox come off.

Stevedot2

Sock guy here too. Shoes make a great drink holder.

You could compromise with a thin soled, no heel shoe of some sort.
Thin soles definitely help, but I find just making sure shoes are tight fitting makes the most difference.

Hewitt2

Definitely a different feel without shoes - I seem to get a more tactile response when playing the pedal.

My only worry would be to get used to that at the expense of wearing shoes. How would you manage to go out and gig and play with others? Based on the floors I have seen in clubs and rehearsal spaces, footwear is a necessity!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Definetly barefoot.

Floors at venues are no issue as I have the ability to take my shoes on or off at the kit. An operation requring exceptional intelligence, I know.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Your dogs can't breathe with shoes on-so no shoes ever. You'll suffocate them and you'll get "dead footed" LOL. I also can't grab my hi hat chain with my toes wearing shoes so that's problematic.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
DW any pedal = shoes, unless I want my feet ground down. DW 9000 is an exception, but the heel plate still grinds.
Most other pedals = bare feet, assuming it’s warm, or thin shoes if not. That said, I can still play fine with shoes, but I really like the feedback without.

C.M. Jones

I always play with shoes, perhaps because I was reared in a setting where we also dined with utensils and practiced good hygiene. Shoeless drumming is a tad too bohemian for my taste. I like to keep proceedings a little more formal, though I don't drum in tuxedos.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Everyone should play naked-that way I can play clothed and likely get more gigs other than nudist camps the rest of you will be reduced to-it's an insidious plot to become "the most gigging drummer" by default that I'm the only one not naked. Course I guess it could turn into a popular trend then dang I'm screwed. WTH whose idiotic plan is this? But then again sweaty naked female drummers-dang I'm a genius-nasty stinking male drummers ewwwwwwww.-no not so Well this one won't make it to my Secret Book of Ideas, Inventions and General Bullcrap.

C.M. Jones

Everyone should play naked-that way I can play clothed and likely get more gigs other than nudist camps the rest of you will be reduced to-it's an insidious plot to become "the most gigging drummer" by default that I'm the only one not naked. Course I guess it could turn into a popular trend then dang I'm screwed. WTH whose idiotic plan is this? But then again sweaty naked female drummers-dang I'm a genius-nasty stinking male drummers ewwwwwwww.-no not so Well this one won't make it to my Secret Book of Ideas, Inventions and General Bullcrap.

A bizarre spin on "The Emperor's New Clothes." You might convince an entire kingdom to doubt the tenets of reality.

The real reason I wear shoes while drumming is that I like the traction. I don't use slide techniques on my bass or hi-hat pedal. I'm heel up ninety-nine percent of the time. A slippery surface isn't something I'm looking for.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yep I'm already inventing the drum stool disposable liner to cover drummers stools since a bunch of naked butts gotta get smelling like a "stool" in due time. LOL a fun play on words. The naked drummer phenom could be my golden goose so I'm going to give it a go on my YT videos. People always complain my videos never show my head-only my torso-well that issue will be solved with this new change. My GetAgrippa Moniker will have a "hole" new meaning. My mind runs wild with the possibilities. I was flipping through channels today and some idiot was chasing his daughters like a dinosaur so naked drummer seems like a step above better idea. Come on. Remember the guy who was trashing a tom-naked drummer sure as heck beats that. It won't embarrass me but my wife may have an issue. So I'll wear underwear-yep over my head so no one can see my face as I play naked. She can't complain if I tell her I'm technically wearing underwear. So I got a good argument I think. Yeah it's all coming together. You know I can see the potential for some "rash" problems to so may need to create a whole new line of products for naked drummer rash. $$$$$$$ Oh wait the naked drummer challenge-that's got to go viral and $$$$$$$$. Naked drummers are going to look pretty silly wearing shoes-so need to invent some camouflage shoes that look like feet-more mulch for the naked drummer empire. Bill Gates will eat my dust.

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

Socks only for me. Shoes/sneakers feel heavy, and barefoot is gross. Also, we didn't wear shoes in the house when I was kid, so I had only socks on anyhow. Still don't wear shoes in the house.

We don't wear shoes at my house either. Socks or indoor-only slippers are the protocol. As explained above, however, socks are too slippery on the pedals for me. As for bare feet, I'm not earthy enough to employ that format, but some drummers find it difficult to play any other way.