Drum Gloves

I totally agree its all technique,I just like to be comfortable and get the max out of what I'm trying to play!

I'm not a crossdresser,but maybe those heels would work!lol!

No gloves on my hands, so no gloves on my feet either.

stiletto heels and fingerless leather driving gloves for me .... the ones with the little metal spikes on the knuckles

I feel they help me swing

Used to play barefoot or in socks, but after a serious foot infection a few years ago, I try and wear whatever shoes I'm comfortable in-which most of the time are some Danskos leather clogs, or Ecco sandals in the summertime. Re: gloves-I had developed some calluses on the upper palm of my left hand and bought some decent Pearl Izumi (no relation to the drum company) bike gloves to wear while drumming. But I've yet to wear 'em on the kit, and only wear them while cycling. Agreed gloves are primarily used by those who perspire a lot, and with nude or very low lacquered sticks e.g. Vater, that problem is usually resolved. Also agreed, if you're banging your hands, check your snare position and height. Nigel Olson, who plays w/Elton John is the other drummer that comes to mind who wears gloves, though they appear to be golf gloves to me.

Love ya, dude, but you're totally wrong on this one. The attached screenshot is from this video: http://youtu.be/LweJGrdyAhI

What's on your feet is immaterial. It's technique and talent that count. As they say, Ginger did everything Fred did, except she did it backwards and in heels.

I like the Fred and Ginger quote.

That's our very own Magenta in sparkly gold frock and fabulous footwear, you know*. And if your legs are as good as that, it's pretty much your civic duty to dress thusly.

* This fact may not be entirely true.

stiletto heels and fingerless leather driving gloves for me .... the ones with the little metal spikes on the knuckles

I feel they help me swing

What, both ways, Tony?

I like playing with just socks, but sometimes my foot slips on the pedal. So I wear very well worn out boots, that are very flexible and do not slip on the pedal. Also when I play with just socks, sometimes my toe slips forward and jams into the the chain or the bar in the front of the pedal. The shoe gives a little protection from jamming the toe into the front of the pedal. I never played with gloves.

Wow, you got me there! ;)

;-)

As my wife noted while looking over my shoulder, it's important to keep in mind that what we men might think is a problem is to a woman not a problem in the slightest.

Now, I grant you that there are some technical things - heel-toe stuff springs to mind - which probably can't be done in CMFM pumps like Ms Escovedo was wearing in that video. But I can't do that stuff anyhow, so it hardly matters.

Besides, it was an awesome excuse to watch Sheila E show off fantastic chops while wearing a sparkly cocktail dress. I've had a crush on her since approximately 1988, so any excuse is worthwhile!

Love ya, dude, but you're totally wrong on this one. The attached screenshot is from this video: http://youtu.be/LweJGrdyAhI

What's on your feet is immaterial. It's technique and talent that count. As they say, Ginger did everything Fred did, except she did it backwards and in heels.

Now THAT'S heel-up technique. I've never understood how people can wear those things.

i used to wear batting gloves due to the fact that I had to hit pretty hard. This was only when I plaed live. Batting gloves a great job. Golf gloves might also work.

Now THAT'S heel-up technique. I've never understood how people can wear those things.

I can and do play in heels. Can't walk in the damn things, though!

I find playing barefoot so strange. It reminds me of the barefoot running fad that was big a few years ago, until all of the people doing it started developing shin splints and plantar fascia issues.

Truth be told, I see barefoot players on youtube much more than actually out at gigs. The whole thing seems more suited to playing in your bedroom on an e-kit than actually at clubs and other venues. The floors in those places aren't the most hygenic.

Yeah barefoot is a little weird. It's like those drummers that can't play with a shirt on :)
Thin soled shoes for me.
However no gloves and no long sleeves for me, no bracelets, watch, nuttin but a wedding ring :)

For shoes try some soft soled ones and firm soled. I play in whatever works with what I'm wearing. Sometimes basketball shoes. Sometimes auto racing shoes (firm sole). I've played in five-toed shoes. Use what works for you. For gloves I like thin golf/batter/drummer gloves. My hands don't sweat at all but if I'm going to be playing for hours I wear gloves for comfort. My preference for gloves is the Mizuno Vintage Pro. The black & white ones go with anything. Don't let anyone tell you what you need to do - do what works for you and all will be well.

Shoes - my basic requirement is that I always play in smart shoes. This is a uniform thing for me - I feel more professional. At an absolute minimum I dont wear shoes with laces, a couple of times the laces have come undone and I feel uncomfortable with my shoes being loose around my feet.

I've tried playing bare footed but I just don't like it.

Gloves - The only times I have done it is when my ecsema has been so bad that the sticks would hurt my hand if I didn't wear some kind of glove, but you lose so much of the feel. The stick is an extension of my arm, it has to feel part of me much in the same way I would never use a glove playing 9-ball pool as you want to feel the cue etc.

If Carter Beufort can wear a wet suit shirt and what look like golf gloves and play then they are ok with me. Chew bum and put on your perma grin for the full effect.

I focused on my shoes quite a bit for a while but now just play with anything sensible. Have a set of vans I like but can play in most things as long as there isnt too much slip.

My new band name...Ha!!!!NOT!!!!!!!

I'm a 45yr old newbie on the skins.Been playing guitar for over 30yrs,so I've been around drum kits.

My main question is,what do you wear for shoes and do you wear gloves.
I wear gloves so I dont bang the sh!t out of my hands and wrists.Shoes I like these Nike wrestling ones.

I'm I being anal,or just looking out for my body?

First off, welcome to the drumming world! I've either worn vans or played barefoot. There have been an instance or two where I've played in heels or pointed toe flats.. which that's always fun. I like vans the most bc of the grip on the soles.

I don't personally like gloves. They seem to constrict my movement and I just think they are uncomfortable while playing. They look nice and have some perks but I just can't deal with it. Gloves are good for avoiding blisters which I'm sure you will develop since you just started playing. They are also good for grip as well but, eh. I think they are overrated. Also, there's nothing wrong with looking out for your body when you start something new. :)

Gloves aren't for protecting your hands from drumming.
They are for people who experience sweaty hands when playing.

Not necessarily. I have no sweat at all from my palms, due to carpal tunnel and subsequent surgery (bilateral). I find if I don't wear gloves I grip the sticks too tightly and this leads to blisters. Gloves give a bit more purchase and allow me to have a much more relaxed grip, particularly when coupled with rubbery grip tape ( I use Vic Firth). A little bit of sweat on my hands would make my situation better, not worse. Once you are used to playing in gloves, it's not an issue- there is really no difference to feel once you are aclimatised.

Back