Shining the pedalboard?

starar

I cleaned my DW 5000 with some sticky-stuff remover, and while it has cleaned off the dirt and grease, it's also made it a lot more tract and my shoe sole doesn't glide over it as well as it once did. What would be recommended for giving the actual pedal board a smooth and slidey feel?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Have to be careful what you put on your pedal because it will also end up on the sole of your shoe. While silicon would definitely give you a slick surface it will also make the sole of your shoe slick when walking on smooth surfaces and could possibly stain carpet.

I think I read one time guys using just a little bit of baby powder on the bottom of their shoes, but that too can track onto carpet.

Winegums

Silver Member
I would recommend changing your shoes or switching to socks. Leather soled shoes will give you the slide that you desire as will socks. I switched to socks after 2 years of drumming and haven't looked back. It gives me amazing feel for what the pedal is doing and lets my foot glide on the surface.

starar

Thanks for the suggestions, I think drumming in socks would be difficult to get the power from my pedal, since I use quite a bit of sole to move my foot very little and get good speeds. Good idea though about baby powder, I currently have a clear lube that came with some exercise equipment on the board, but it's a bit too slippy, getting less each day of playing though. Is it generally not really something folks do, then? :/

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I can say in my 33 years of playing I've never felt the need to do it but every person is different.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Thanks for the suggestions, I think drumming in socks would be difficult to get the power from my pedal, since I use quite a bit of sole to move my foot very little and get good speeds. Good idea though about baby powder, I currently have a clear lube that came with some exercise equipment on the board, but it's a bit too slippy, getting less each day of playing though. Is it generally not really something folks do, then? :/

Don't use the baby powder! It will find its way into every nook and cranny and, since it's made to absorb moisture, will become a nasty, messy gunk. I would clean the pedal thoroughly, then use an automotive spray-on wax. Once the wax is dry, use a cotton bath towel to buff it to a smooth shine. Use Q-Tips or a very soft toothbrush to remove excess wax from around the lettering and any other textured surface. The wax will not transfer to your shoe, and should leave you with a slick pedal board.

GeeDeeEmm

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
use a 3M green scour pad from a hardware store or some fine steel wool. I would not put any substance on the pedal.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Just play 'Shiny Happy ppl' by R.E.M. and forget about the pedal board.

DW 5000 you have to grind off the 5000 to make them smooth. Use a small grinder with a wheel.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Shining the pedalboard

I thought maybe this was a metaphor for fast pedal work.

ETA: or worse . . . . . . lol

Last edited: