Shine Drums

dRummmmmmm

I have seen people having Shine drums. I love the snare and sound of all toms. Do I have to have a partnership or something like that to get shine drums. What do you think about shine drums. Let me know

I had a Shine set. They sucked... unfortunately.
Really, they weren't that bad. The quality doesn't justify the price.

Do I have to have a partnership or something like that to get shine drums.

You'd need a miracle. They closed their doors one year ago just before the NAMM show.

Bermuda

Really? Their website is still running and have recent activity on facebook.

One of my buddies was a Shine endorser and had to leave, they pulled out of NAMM at the last minute (last year) and word was already out that they'd shut down. Their site hasn't been updated in about 15 months, and their phone # is disconnected.

On Facebook, they are tagged in a number of images, but they haven't apparently generated any activity since friending someone back in July.

Last tweet was over a year ago, as was their last apparent MySpace activity.

Oh yeah, and there's this:

shine.jpg

I stand by my statement: they're gone.

Bermuda

I have seen people having Shine drums. I love the snare and sound of all toms. Do I have to have a partnership or something like that to get shine drums. What do you think about shine drums. Let me know

I think you should be able to find some used kits on the cheap.;)

Steve B

There was a story in the Sacramento paper about them closing. Apparently, people ordered kits, payed for them up front and now Shine is out of business and people are out their money with no kit to show for it. All the people Shine owes money to are being refered to their bankruptcy lawer.

That bankruptcy court document shure but the kabosh on any dissenting opinion. You could almost hear the air going out of the balloon. Shine Drums made drums in some of the most hideous finishes available. I remember seeing one of their kits on eBay that, get this, was intentionally made to look like mud. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but I still have nightmares about that kit.

I remember seeing one of their kits on eBay that, get this, was intentionally made to look like mud. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but I still have nightmares about that kit.

For better or worse, that's where the custom companies 'shine' - they'll do things the majors won't. I think even DW has limits as to how they'll allow their drums to look. Deservedly so, a kit with too extreme a finish has little resale value, and that also applies to name brands that may have had custom work done.

Bermuda

Regardless how the sales were, Shine's debts became unmanageable, exceeding their ability to pay them. There's an unfortunate point where a company has to just walk away.

Bermuda

I have seen people having Shine drums ..... Let me know.

Since you're in Europe, I think your best bet would be to find a custom European drum shop, and have them build you a kit. Most "custom" shops all source their drum shells from the same couple of makers. Keller for wood. RCI for acrylic, etc. Very few, make their own shells.​
If I was gonna have a regular "custom" kit made ... I'd probably go to Spaun ... for two reasons ... they make really good drums ..... and they're about a 30 minute drive from my house. Keeping it local is a safety feature. (first class example of this ... you're asking about a company far away from where you live, and they've gone bankrupt a year ago)​

A thread back from the dead.
I've just seen a used Shine kit in black lacquer. 12", 14"ft, 16"ft and 22" bass drum. A cursory glance and it looks to be very clean, tidy and unmarked.
The thing is I don't need it (but....), I don't know what material it's made of (other than the Shine badge there was no other identifying series badges on it), and my opinion of them when they were a live brand was that they were overpriced and seemed to have a huge number of "endorsers" paying high prices for the kits while being told that if they weren't endorsers they would cost even more.
This one is £399.

I know that at £2000 they were overpriced but all bets are off now, it's a clean kit and its £399 so any prejudices about new retail price are off the table.

Thoughts, opinions and information gratefully accepted.

They used to be another Keller shell company. They started making their own birch shells (according to their website) at some point, but I don't know if those are cheaper or more expensive than their maple cousins. I don't know anything about value either.

There are a few sets on Reverb right now ranging in price from $1500 to $250, so it looks like they are all over the place in regards to pricing. It looks like it's a weird market for them right now. £399 is about $500 in the US, so I'm pretty sure that those drums would be a good value IMO (if they are the Keller maple shells).

I guess to best answer your question, look around where you are and see what other Keller-shelled kits are available and what they are going for. You may just have to say to yourself, "Is this kit worth £399 to ME?"

With a name like SHINE, they deserved to bite the dust. Seriously. Who in the world chose such an asinine, unimaginative, cheap-sounding name? No matter how good they were (and I have no idea), I'd have been embarrassed to go on stage with a name like that on my drums. SHINE?????? What were they thinking???????? (Where's that shaking head emoji when I need it?)

GeeDeeEmm

The web site is still up, hard to tell when it was last updated. Somebody's trying to keep the dream alive... or else they paid for hosting several years in advance!

Worse yet, they still have a MySpace page! :O

Back