Shell Tap Tone

porter

Platinum Member
Temple blocks, wood blocks, etc. work as a very different mechanism compared to two-headed ply drums with heavy hardware bolted everywhere, though.

Log drums + drumset sticks = broken log drums very quickly. You'd need softer implements to have any sort of longevity... Temple blocks with ply tops, though, perhaps those could have some use– you'd still get more tone with more massive mallets.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I recorded the tone of my 2 rack toms without heads and hoops. I did have the lugs still intact. When I played it back to tune my toms to that pitch, I was already tuning them to that pitch, at least the best I could tell they were matching. I thought that was interesting. I had that recording on the end of a tape that I played along with regularly. When I would get to that part I'd compare them. More often than not they matched.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Temple blocks, wood blocks, etc. work as a very different mechanism compared to two-headed ply drums with heavy hardware bolted everywhere, though.

Log drums + drumset sticks = broken log drums very quickly. You'd need softer implements to have any sort of longevity... Temple blocks with ply tops, though, perhaps those could have some use– you'd still get more tone with more massive mallets.
Did you watch the video? It looked like they were hitting them with a baseball bat.