Shariq Tucker (a young prodigy from the Bronx)

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..That's because you're being obtuse..

Actually i agree with him..If you are not able to give a few names without searching them first yourself or referring other people to Google, then saying that there are many young players from the same level like him are just empty words, especially when you ask other people to explain why a drummer has a certain quality..

Now, apparently you studied Gospel-drumming a lot, then just give us a few names and explain why they are at least from the same level of playing..

To me they all sound the same, like, they just sound the same and then i lose interest to really study them..Thats my completely superficial opinion..Taste..Only taste..I am just not interested in 'new' Gospel..I prefer to listen Sam Cooke with The Soul Stirrers if i want to hear Gospel..

Now, teach us something please..

Actually i agree with him..If you are not able to give a few names without searching them first yourself or referring other people to Google, then saying that there are many young players from the same level like him are just empty words, especially when you ask other people to explain why a drummer has a certain quality..

Now, apparently you studied Gospel-drumming a lot, then just give us a few names and explain why they are at least from the same level of playing..

To me they all sound the same, like, they just sound the same and then i lose interest to really study them..Thats my completely superficial opinion..Taste..Only taste..I am just not interested in 'new' Gospel..I prefer to listen Sam Cooke with The Soul Stirrers if i want to hear Gospel..

Now, teach us something please..

P.s. who are your favorites drummer?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
What the hell does "same level" mean? Names and ages mean literally nothing. When someone stands out, they stand out. Age can get a kid noticed, but only has so many uses with the passage of time.

I'm chalking this up to his limited English knowledge. I honestly couldn't tell that he wasn't a native speaker with that impressive press kit in the OP.

Anyway, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4bO2CU6rc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q773FBdRjtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S_ibYZGi5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1qg9myFCqw

None of those examples are even as old in birthdays as the length of time Shariq has been drumming for. Most less than half. Since these are also mostly music examples rather than drum solos by themselves, I'll also let you have your own internal struggles about "same level" or not. Comparisons like that are beyond useless.

As I said, it's fairly common for this burst-y gospel style to attract and develop in the younger crowd.

Shariq is a great drummer and now that I know why the terminology used was weird, I'm fine with it.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..This guy is just a very good drummer, and lots of others in that age range can play like that..
.."Lots of others in that age range can play like that", can you tell me 3-4 names?..
..P.s. i still waiting to know the names of the lots of others in his age range that can play like him..
..That's because you're being obtuse..
..Actually i agree with him..If you are not able to give a few names without searching them first yourself or referring other people to Google, then saying that there are many young players from the same level like him are just empty words, especially when you ask other people to explain why a drummer has a certain quality..

That was kinda the discussion untill now, and then you post this..:

..What the hell does "same level" mean? Names and ages mean literally nothing..

..I'll also let you have your own internal struggles about "same level" or not. Comparisons like that are beyond useless..

Are you serious..?

If someone says 'can play like that' or 'same level', thats kinda the same in my world and you yourself started to compare the guy with 'lots of others in that age range' who can play like that..lol..

I mean, having a normal conversation gets a little difficult like this..

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
C'mon man, just tell me that you're trolling us.
I know, right? Actual musical examples of actual young drummers must be quite a shock to the system. I enjoyed watching all these 100 times more than those dry solo videos.

And none of them are prodigies. Just hard work and love of drums.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
oldskoolsoul said:
To me they all sound the same, like, they just sound the same and then i lose interest to really study them.
Totally agree, buddy.

I totally honestly didn't see anything all that impressive in the videos when I compare against other drummers in that genre, which is why I was asking what was so inspiring for the OP. I'm not interested in a players age unless they're like, early teens and really impressive. Late 20's is a grown man to most of the world and a guy who's been playing for 23 years is bound to be a good drummer regardless what age they started at.

Last edited:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
C'mon man, just tell me that you're trolling us.
I thought the same thing when you dropped your "it's time to let the young cats play" at the expense of a guy like Vinnie, comment in the other thread.

I think it just goes to show there's something out there for everyone. And we may not all get turned on by the same shit.

There's little point arguing matters of taste.

I know, right? Actual musical examples of actual young drummers must be quite a shock to the system. I enjoyed watching all these 100 times more than those dry solo videos.

And none of them are prodigies. Just hard work and love of drums.
I was right, you are trolling.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I was right, you are trolling.
You're the one getting uppity about age being a factor, when it's just not, as I proved by showing you some great drummers in the genre that aren't even as old as the length of time Shariq has been drumming. Continually asking me to find drummers in the exact same age as this guy is asinine. He's well past the point where you get extra credit for being a kid and his age is irrelevant, as I showed by posting actual young kids playing actual music with immense talent that is actually ahead of their typical age level.

Especially in the youtube age, if you think the world isn't full of great mid-20's drummers, well, I just don't know how much further this discussion will go. You either stand out, or you don't; and again, after mid-late teens, you don't get extra credit applied for being young. There's absolutely no reason why you can't do your own musical discovery instead of putting your head in the sand and thinking that because I won't list within your parameters, there are no other great drummers in their mid-20's. The fallacy isn't even vague.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
With somebody closed minded and obtuse like you, i don't know either.
Sorry, you're right. Shariq is a true prodigy, there's nobody in his "age range" that's even close to his staggering ability to hit drums better than anyone else alive at any age and he's already changed the face of drumming while solving world-hunger and is not just another youtube gospel drummer with chops.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Threads like this show why internetforums in general should not be taken that serious..

Internetforums have own rules, a own hierarchy..Like, for example, a father who is looking for a drumset for his child will give automatically more value to an opinion from a member thats on this forum a few years with 4000 posts, than to a member that just joined with 2 posts..Thats how things work on internetforums..

Weckl was also 26 years old when the drumming community heard him play 'Got a Match?' for the first time and he was 29 or 30 years old when Back To Basics was released and everyone was stunned..At that moment there were ofcourse also 100's of drummers worldwide in that age range who maybe could play like that, but Chick Corea chose Weckl..The difference is that those other 100's we could not see, because they were not having the opportunity to broadcast themselves to the world..But even if we could have seen them, then Weckl still maybe stood out or maybe not..We will never know..All we know is that Weckl is considered a legend now..

Now, at this moment every Berklee guy or every Drummers Collective guy or every other talented guy can broadcast himself and then we say..: uh, there you have one again, only chops and typically a YT-guy blablabla..

Stanley Clarke could have chosen any drummer in the world to play with him, because every drummer would want to play with him, but he chose this guy and then here, on this forum, the 'wise' comments are that this is 'just a guy' and 'lots of others in that age range can play like that'..No explanation needed, nothing..And posting those children videos is just a joke, not relating in any way to a drummer like this..

Like i said, the style of playing is not really my taste, but to say that there are many drummers in that age range who can play like this guy, without giving any substansive explanation is just completely meaningless and just another prove of what i started with..: on internetforums everyone is considered an expert after a few years and 1000's of posts and they never need to give an explanation why they should be considered like that..

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Like i said, the style of playing is not really my taste, but to say that there are many drummers in that age range who can play like this guy, without giving any substansive explanation is just completely meaningless and just another prove of what i started with..: on internetforums everyone is considered an expert after a few years and 1000's of posts and they never need to give an explanation why they should be considered like that..
Again, what does "play like this guy" mean? Do I have to find examples of only 26 year olds doing every stupid lick this guy did before you'll find it to be a meaningful comparison? Neither you nor the OP has even started to describe to me what is so special about this drummer, so how could I ever guess what you want to see? Putting your head in the sand and believing that there aren't tons of other late 20's players who can play those boiler plate gospel chops is just willful ignorance or stubborn argument with your arms crossed, period. I've personally seen so many youtube videos of drummers playing licks and solos that they all run together and I'm simply not impressed by it any longer. A player needs to stick out for his musical creativity or the way they lead a band on stage or on tape. For being a musician, not just a chops drummer. Chops drummers are a dime a dozen.

Here's another secret, all the guys you think are only better because of age were once 26 too. Once you've found your drumming sea legs so to speak, the gains you experience over the rest of your career are more in the realm of mastery and the quick gains of learning new concepts and licks and mechanics are way behind you. As you yourself point out, Weckl got noticed around that age, so does that count or does it only have to be people who are 26 right now?

The only meaningful direct comparison is comparing yourself today with the drummer you were yesterday.

Threads like this show why internetforums in general should not be taken that serious..

Internetforums have own rules, a own hierarchy..Like, for example, a father who is looking for a drumset for his child will give automatically more value to an opinion from a member thats on this forum a few years with 4000 posts, than to a member that just joined with 2 posts..Thats how things work on internetforums..

Weckl was also 26 years old when the drumming community heard him play 'Got a Match?' for the first time and he was 29 or 30 years old when Back To Basics was released and everyone was stunned..At that moment there were ofcourse also 100's of drummers worldwide in that age range who maybe could play like that, but Chick Corea chose Weckl..The difference is that those other 100's we could not see, because they were not having the opportunity to broadcast themselves to the world..But even if we could have seen them, then Weckl still maybe stood out or maybe not..We will never know..All we know is that Weckl is considered a legend now..

Now, at this moment every Berklee guy or every Drummers Collective guy or every other talented guy can broadcast himself and then we say..: uh, there you have one again, only chops and typically a YT-guy blablabla..

Stanley Clarke could have chosen any drummer in the world to play with him, because every drummer would want to play with him, but he chose this guy and then here, on this forum, the 'wise' comments are that this is 'just a guy' and 'lots of others in that age range can play like that'..No explanation needed, nothing..And posting those children videos is just a joke, not relating in any way to a drummer like this..

It's the people like you that make this place better (i'm not joking, thanks for your contribution :))

Do I have to find examples of only 26 year olds doing every stupid lick this guy did before you'll find it to be a meaningful comparison?
There's nothing stupid in what this guy do on the drums, you are too full of yourself Mr. i know it all.

Neither you nor the OP has even started to describe to me what is so special about this drummer, so how could I ever guess what you want to see? .
I told you what's special about him, but you were too busy trolling to pay attention to what i wrote.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
There's nothing stupid in what this guy do on the drums, you are too full of yourself Mr. i know it all.
Might just be a language thing, but I wasn't actually calling the drumming stupid, just the fact that I was being asked apparently to find examples of each one since nobody would be tell me what I'm meant to compare against. It's an american expression of minor annoyance. "Would you shut the stupid door please"? Shariq's drumming is technically flashy and not "stupid" I'm just not very impressed by chops like that devoid of music since the internet has Jaded everyone to them.

I told you what's special about him, but you were too busy trolling to pay attention to what i wrote.
Again, being 26 does not make your drumming special. You refused to elaborate about any of the actual drumming other than I guess professing that this stuff is amazing for a late 20's guy to play? Remove age from the equation and tell me what Shariq stands out for. I really wouldn't mind talking drums here, it's really just the "young prodigy" stuff I found goofy and inferring that this drumming is "really good" because of the dudes age? Like if he were older it wouldn't be impressive?

Age is irrelevant. Hard work, dedication and love of drums/music is very relevant.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Like i've said in the previous post, you were too busy trolling to read what i wrote...
Okay, we'll just pretend there's something. I just went back through the post and can't find what you're talking about. You did post another solo with an edit I think, and even called it "complicated" but I sat through half of it(bored) and did not see anything I would call complicated. Some good drumming, but we've already established that. I guess I'm just really not impressed with solo stuff much unless it really brings something new to the table.