Shariq Tucker (a young prodigy from the Bronx)

26 years old, from the Bronx NY, Shariq Tucker began playing drums at the age of 3. His father saw that he had the potential and the love for drums and cultivated it. He enrolled into a music school called The Boys Club of NY where his music teacher Richard Harrison broadened him with many different styles. Shariq has played with gospel recording artist Jason Nelson, guitarist Michael "funkadelic kidd" Hampton, R&B artist Travis McClung, Alicia Keys, swizz beats, and R. Kelly. He was also the Guitar Center Drum Off 2014 Champion.
Shariq is currently the live drummer of the Stanley Clarke Band.

Check out some of his best videos:

Shariq Tucker drum solo by Korea Drum Show2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCBpIH0Uts

Shariq Tucker korea drumshow solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p27MkNyc18

Shariq Tucker drum solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J93qrPCo3Eo

Shariq tucker drum solo @DROM with Jonathan Scales fourchestra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A49L0rYHYqo

NAMM 2015 - Shariq Tucker Drum Solo - GoPro Booth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBJ-pPzgnEg

Shariq Tucker solo on carnivaldrums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCpbxj7BjpM

Shariq Tucker drum solo (on tour with Jonathan Scales)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB9hwKNwN5c

Tale of 2 citiez (J. Cole cover) feat. Shariq Tucker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5pzyCDCPJY

Zildjian Performance - Shariq Tucker plays 7 to the power of 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvNy85anFWM

Zildjian Performance - Shariq Tucker - Solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj7c-V8aULE

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Sharp memory you have Merlin..!

And btw, completely off-topic, but check out Black Midi when you have the chance, they are from your city and maybe they play somewhere near soon..

In my opinion very worthwhile to visit..

Merlin5

Gold Member
Sharp memory you have Merlin..!

And btw, completely off-topic, but check out Black Midi when you have the chance, they are from your city and maybe they play somewhere near soon..

In my opinion very worthwhile to visit..

Oh yeah, I already checked them out and replied to you in the New Musical Discovery thread in the Off Topic Lounge a few days ago. Very good band, excellent drummer. They're definitely doing something unique. But not really my thing. I think it's young music aimed at mostly 20 to 30 year olds tbh.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
"Prodigy" and "young" are very flexible/subjective terms I guess. He's a good player, but doesn't stand out much to me from other busy gospel-ey players. Be nice if some real music was linked too instead of a list of solos. I probably missed some of the good stuff cause my patience for drum solos is pretty low.

AllenS

Yeah, some music would be nice. He's very good though, nice drum sound in that first Zildjian vid.

"Prodigy" and "young" are very flexible/subjective terms I guess. He's a good player, but doesn't stand out much to me from other busy gospel-ey players. Be nice if some real music was linked too instead of a list of solos. I probably missed some of the good stuff cause my patience for drum solos is pretty low.
1)He's a prodigy in my opinion, for a lack of a better term
2)If a 26 years old guy is not young.....
3)He's not a gospel drummer

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
1)He's a prodigy in my opinion, for a lack of a better term
A better term would be "pretty good drummer".
2)If a 26 years old guy is not young.....
Typically when people use the term "prodigy" they're referencing someone very young with capabilities that far exceed the abilities/understandings of others in the age range. This guy is just a very good drummer, and lots of others in that age range can play like that.
3)He's not a gospel drummer
I said "gospelly" because that's the style of busy burst-y playing he's doing in the linked videos. Especially in a vacuum with no musical context, that's what it reminded me of.

Merlin5

Gold Member
I do think he's amazing and enjoy watching his playing. Could you listen to him on a record and tell him apart from other Church style drummers (or any drummers) like you could tell Gadd from Bonham from Weckl? Not a chance. By the way, his full name is actually Shariq Guidry Pridgen Coleman Spears Moore Randolph Royster Tucker.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
With drummers i am anyway rarely very impressed anymore about 'that new guy that everyone should hear'..

Like, regarding technique, everything is just not evolving that much anymore since Colaiuta or Donati or Mayer and like has been said before, all of those new Gospel guys kinda sound the same..

To my ears they also sound mostly without any 'depth', if that makes sense..

Like, no listening experience that goes behind the technique..

Everything just kinda stays on the surface, perfect played, a technique that i can not reach in 10 years, but emotionally leaves me completely cold..

Can also just be a personal-taste-thing, since for example with Morgan Simpson from the before mentioned Black Midi, especially in that band setting, i actually was having that feeling again after i saw them play an hour..

From super soft to extremely explosive with an expressive way of playing that i rarely see with those new guys that each time show up..

But hey, who am i to disagree with Stanley Clarke on this..lol..

Actually, just checked some videos of him playing with Stanley Clarke and those impressed me more than the 'typical' NAMM stuff that has been posted here..With those i always get bored pretty quick..

Could you listen to him on a record and tell him apart from other Church style drummers (or any drummers) like you could tell Gadd from Bonham from Weckl? Not a chance.
As far as i know he's only a touring drummer at the moment, but i know what you mean and i can't argue with your point.

A better term would be "pretty good drummer".
Typically when people use the term "prodigy" they're referencing someone very young with capabilities that far exceed the abilities/understandings of others in the age range. This guy is just a very good drummer, and lots of others in that age range can play like that.
I said "gospelly" because that's the style of busy burst-y playing he's doing in the linked videos. Especially in a vacuum with no musical context, that's what it reminded me of.
If you are under 30 and you play for Stanley Clarke you're not just a pretty good drummer, a pretty good drummer play for pop acts like Adele or Beyonce, not with someone like Clarke. "Lots of others in that age range can play like that", can you tell me 3-4 names?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I did also say "very good drummer" if that makes you feel any better. He's great, in fact, but I can't go to any type of prodigy label.

What makes him stand out from the other busy gospel players to you?

I did also say "very good drummer" if that makes you feel any better.
Why do you think that should make me feel better? I don't know why you need to be so provocative...

What makes him stand out from the other busy gospel players to you?
Like i've said before, he's not a gospel player. Shariq is much more original and creative than most of the drummers of his age, he's not all about speed and chops.

P.s. i still waiting to know the names of the lots of others in his age range that can play like him...

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Why do you think that should make me feel better? I don't know why you need to be so provocative...
Because it seemed to offend you that we weren't all so enamored by this guy as you. He's a good drummer, but I clicked around the links you left and simply didn't see anything indicative of a prodigy. Just a seasoned drummer who's put in the time to get fast and have lots of licks. As mentioned, I have no idea how actually creative he might be in a musical context because I haven't seen music yet. Just gospel style burst-y solos.

Like i've said before, he's not a gospel player.
You know I'm referring to a style of playing and not anything to actually do with church or "the gospel" necessarily, right? I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept that his style is quite gospelly, but at least in this set of videos, everything I saw fits that description to me. Why does it matter?

Shariq is much more original and creative than most of the drummers of his age, he's not all about speed and chops.
If you say so. I'm still curious why you think that specifically though. Honestly, not trying to troll you, he sounds like most of the kids who grew up aspiring to be gospel style drummers. He's not crazy creative like someone in the range of say Benny Greb, and he's not doing crazy complicated stuff like some of the "prog" guys get into. Tell us what you think is so cool about this guys playing? Why does it inspire YOU more than other similar players?

P.s. i still waiting to know the names of the lots of others in his age range that can play like him...
That's because you're being obtuse. You can easily go to youtube and type in gospel drumming, then look for younger guys too. It's quite common as the style typically comes from growing up playing that way from quite young ages. Kids start in church, and get good, get a following, sometimes go other places. The internet is awash in it.

Because it seemed to offend you that we weren't all so enamored by this guy as you.
Yeah i'm super offended, sure.

You know I'm referring to a style of playing and not anything to actually do with church or "the gospel" necessarily, right? I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept that his style is quite gospelly?
If you feel better now i accept that his style is 100% gospel.

He's not crazy creative like someone in the range of say Benny Greb, and he's not doing crazy complicated stuff like some of the "prog" guys get into. Tell us what you think is so cool about this guys playing? Why does it inspire YOU more than other similar players?
Benny Greb is 12 years older than him, just give Shariq some time for god's sake. Like i've already told you in the previous post, he's original and creative, and for example if this is not crazy complicated stuff i don't know what to say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdCTA55ESAc

That's because you're being obtuse.
Thanks, it's a pleasure discuss with you.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I just looked up his bio. In addition to the word "gospel" being mentioned, it also says he's been working on this; playing the drums since the age of 3. That's not a prodigy that's a ton of work and passion. He's been working on his skills for 23 years at least, and even went to a music school.

We have weirdos who come on here to promote themselves with threads like these and they often use grandiose terms and put together little "press kits" to post here all while pretending they aren't that person for some odd reason.

It's cool that you're excited and inspired by a drummer. You should talk/think about that drumming and why it inspires you so much. Analyze it. Learn some of it. Talk with us about how cool a rhythmic idea is instead of dropping solos and proclaiming "prodigy".

I just looked up his bio. In addition to the word "gospel" being mentioned, it also says he's been working on this; playing the drums since the age of 3. That's not a prodigy that's a ton of work and passion. He's been working on his skills for 23 years at least, and even went to a music school.

We have weirdos who come on here to promote themselves with threads like these and they often use grandiose terms and put together little "press kits" to post here all while pretending they aren't that person for some odd reason.

It's cool that you're excited and inspired by a drummer. You should talk/think about that drumming and why it inspires you so much. Analyze it. Learn some of it. Talk with us about how cool a rhythmic idea is instead of dropping solos and proclaiming "prodigy".
Don't worry, i'm not here to promote myself, my brother or my cousin.
I'd like to post some different videos but unfortunately 95% of the videos with drummers on the web are solos or part of songs filmed badly, i know there's not just solos in the drum's world.

Keep in mind that english is not my first language and that my vocabulary is limited, i do my best to try to be understood, i know that broken english is a pain in the ass for you native speakers.