Sharing Slingerlands

millerscapes

Hi everyone, this is the first thread I've started so bear with me! I've been checking out the "drum love" threads and wanted to see if anyone wants to bear their slings. I just picked up a mid-sixties set of slingerlands (the same as the first set I ever touched- my dad's pride and joy-when I was just a baby). I was hoping to see some others' slingerlands or vintage babies!! I'll be sure to post pics asap! Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the congrats & response! Here's a couple of pics to get started with!

Attachments

• Slingerland11-13-2011.jpg
    Slingerland11-13-2011.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 265
  • Slingerland11-13-2011f.jpg
    Slingerland11-13-2011f.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 290
Congrates you found a nice set and look for the correct side cymbal arm off the bass drum mount. Those are great sounding sets once you put some modern heads on them they'll sing out nicely. Doc

Thanks Doc!! I was thinking the Aquarian Vintage heads... Any other suggestions?

Nothing inspires me more than vintage WMP slingerlands...

Should be required playing for any new drummer. School of Drums 101.

I agree 100%! I played them when I was a baby years ago and I'm still playing everyday! I think if a new drummer can sit at a set of these, he/she will be hooked for a lifetime!

It would be great to try some different ones just to see how they sit on the edges. I think the Guitar Centers might be accomodating to do that. Call and ask if they'd be interested in being involved in a vintage project, I think the drum tech there would be. Bring the 3 pieces in with you and check out what fits best. You need to think about the sound you want as to the use of coated or clear. Do you like an open sound that a 1ply will offer or a 2ply head thats more sedate and understated. You can use what was original on them from new and enjoy them that way. I know I would have the Aq. Super Kick 1 on the batter side of the Kick or go back to the old school approach with a coated emperior. I can't think what the hell the stock kick head was. The front would have been a single smooth in white anyone remember the batter stock head? Lots to think of but lots of fun too! Doc

Thanks Doc!! I was thinking the Aquarian Vintage heads... Any other suggestions?

Make sure you get the American vintage heads,not the modern vintage ones.The American vintage series has a larger hoop to accomodate the sometimes oversized American made drums,from the 50's /60's and earlier.

I use the American vintage thin on my 47 Radio King,and it sounds great,and its WMP too.

Steve B

Thanks Steve! I actually experienced this once. I put a fiberskyn on my '39 Radio King and torn it 2 minutes later doing a light shuffle of press rolls. So, the modern vintage is to "replicate" the sound but the american vintage is actually made for the larger bearing edges? Thanks so much for the info!!

Furtehr to this thread, I'm just getting together a set of vintage Slingerland drums from the 1960's. They are were all poor little orphan drums on ebay.... I get them for cheap, and they sound superb. I've found regular heads fit OK, but are noticeably snug. Is the snugness in heads going to lead to ripping? Who is producing 'American vintage' heads for this age of drums. Just Remo? Evans?

The American Vintage I'm referring to is made by Aquarian. They look similar to Remo Vintage coated but are actually on a slighty larger hoops to better accomodate the larger bearing edges & rerings on vintage drums.... put one on my radio king and it fit perfectly.

Oh, congrats on the kit! Its great to give those orphaned drums a home and set! They are just as good as the ones still in kits!!

Thanks Steve! I actually experienced this once. I put a fiberskyn on my '39 Radio King and torn it 2 minutes later doing a light shuffle of press rolls. So, the modern vintage is to "replicate" the sound but the american vintage is actually made for the larger bearing edges? Thanks so much for the info!!

The current crop of "vintage" drum heads are made to recreate the vintage sound,but are the same diameter as current modern heads.The Aquarian American vintage head is slightly larger in diameter to accomidate the sometimes larger diameter of American vintage drum shells,and fit properly on the bearing edge.

Steve B

Here is my Slingerland 1971 Avante Series drums. I bought them new and they served me well but paid the price for not using cases in my youth. The original wrap was a chrome finish. I head a local guy here in the Boston area do a complete overhaul on them a couple of years ago. PTECH Percussion. He did a great job and brought them back to life for me. I did have him upgrade the tom mount and bass drum mount. I installed Yamaha YESS mount. I normally use Remo coated ambassador batters and clear ambassador reso for the toms but currently I have Evans t ply clear batters on tuned a bit lower for the music I am playing. I am using a clear PS3 on the kick and Aquarian regulator on the reso.

Enjoy your kit.

Attachments

• slingerland old1.jpg
    slingerland old1.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Slingerland old2.jpg
    Slingerland old2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Slingerland1 002.JPG
    Slingerland1 002.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 188
  • Slingerland1 004.JPG
    Slingerland1 004.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 203
Wow! What a great transformation! They look sure do look great! Thank you so much for sharing!

One other thing. I replaced four T rods. The four that touch the floor front and back. I picked up a pack of 4 from Musicians Friend, now the T's are laying flat and making tuning a bit easier.

One other thing. I replaced four T rods. The four that touch the floor front and back. I picked up a pack of 4 from Musicians Friend, now the T's are laying flat and making tuning a bit easier.

Love the color. Nice job! Jerome Howard woulda loved 'em!

Back