Sharing Gear at Gigs with Other Drummers

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
Not many of us are doing much performing right now, so I guess it makes sense to muse about the days when we were. Over my many years of gigging, other drummers have asked on occasion to use my gear at shows, mostly for purposes of convenience (they're playing either before or after my band). It hasn't occurred often, but I'd estimate it's taken place three or four times. It's not something I've ever been excited about. Technique has a lot to do with the lifespan of equipment, and if I know little about your drumming, I can't gage the impact you might have on my setup. Still, I've always been amiable and accommodating on the subject, though I've upheld the following imperatives uniformly:

I. Bring your own hardware (i.e., bass pedal, hi-hat stand, cymbal stands, and throne).

II. Bring your own cymbals.

III. Don't alter my tunings.

In essence, you can use my shell pack, but that's as far as it goes.

Have you ever granted other players access to your gear? If so, what are your expectations?

2 applys for sure. You can use my throne, stands, and pedals if you like.

I dont mind if someone wants to use my kit. Conversely, I dont like using other folks gear. It's set up for them, not me. I can still play it if needed, but would rather not.

It's like driving my own car vs someone else's. I dont even like driving my wife's car. Unlike drums however, no you cant use my car.

i have a whole kit and hardware set specifically for kitshare/kit hire/backline purposes. if i know im providing the kit, i take my 80s/90s tama rockstar and small hardware bag that contains everything (tom mount, throne, snare stand, hi hat stand, 4 cymbal stands) and i specifically leave the memory locks off the kit so everyone can adjust the stands to their heights. theres only been a couple of times where other drummers have wanted to use their own hardware, ive no complaints about this, jsut depends if the organiser/promoter has factored in enough time for changovers (round my area, they factor in time for acoustic guitarists to change over, but forget it takes at least 10 mins to change over full bands at a push!)

all i ever ask players to bring is their own snare, cymbals, pedal (if they want) and sticks. theres been a few exceptions where ive let close friends who i KNOW can play properly and wont break stuff use my snare and cymbals. plus my kits always have hard-wearing heads (aquarian performance 2s or force 10s & superkick 2 w/double kickpad) and always in tune so the majority of poeple whove used my kit leaves the tuning alone, if anything they ask ME to tune THEIR snares/drums for them because most are younger players who arent as experienced at tuning.

Last edited:
I'm not in favor of people using my gear, but have let them if they bring their own breakables, cymbals, sticks, pedals.

I also brought my own gear as mentioned above if there is a house kit to use.

We played a show last year in RI and I brought my gear. The local band there who opened asked to use my kit, reluctantly I said yes. He then complained about how low my drums were to him and proceeded to tune them up nearly cranking the heads. Of course I had to detune them right after because we were about to play and couldn't get the best sound but it is what it is.

That was the last time I do this, unless we share with someone I know.

I have 4 simple rules:

1. If I don't know you. You are not touching any of my stuff
2. If I know you. You supply the Snare and Cymbals.
3. If you break it, you fix it, replace it, or cash. Period.
4. No one plays the Ayotte but me. PERIOD

P.S. I can get my kit on stage, and ready to play, in less that 5 mins. It comes off in less than 2.

Last edited:
It depends...

If I'm opening, then have at it - the kit is yours to play. I've played my set, and would likely rather the music goes on.

But, if you're playing before me and you didn't bring what you needed, I'm going to take a good look at you and your bandmates before I let you play any of my breakables.

Not many of us are doing much performing right now, so I guess it makes sense to muse about the days when we were. Over my many years of gigging, other drummers have asked on occasion to use my gear at shows, mostly for purposes of convenience (they're playing either before or after my band). It hasn't occurred often, but I'd estimate it's taken place three or four times. It's not something I've ever been excited about. Technique has a lot to do with the lifespan of equipment, and if I know little about your drumming, I can't gage the impact you might have on my setup. Still, I've always been amiable and accommodating on the subject, though I've upheld the following imperatives uniformly:

I. Bring your own hardware (i.e., bass pedal, hi-hat stand, cymbal stands, and throne).

II. Bring your own cymbals.

III. Don't alter my tunings.

In essence, you can use my shell pack, but that's as far as it goes.

Have you ever granted other players access to your gear? If so, what are your expectations?

Luckily this has been a rarity for me - but there's been two festivals where my kit ended up being the backline.

Typically I've avoided this by having small drums cranked sky high and no one wants to play them hahaha.

When I've been in this situation - I just let whomeever play my kit as they wanted to - if they wanted to replace the cymbals and snare - they could - they just need to put it back.

One situation was fine - the other time the guy put dents in my heads when I had been playing those heads for like a year with no dents....but we saw the guy after the show and he was in a bathroom with a nosebleed just frantic - so I think he was on something.

Most of the time it's ok - I'm playing shows with people I know or I make an effort to reach out to the people and get to know them before I ever end up offering up my kit.

When it comes to other people's kits - I usually bring a snare and cymbal - but that's all for sound stuf and I have a backline bag full of things the make other people's kits more comfortable.

. . . the other time the guy put dents in my heads when I had been playing those heads for like a year with no dents....but we saw the guy after the show and he was in a bathroom with a nosebleed just frantic - so I think he was on something.

Classic! Why do we drummers always have bizarre public restroom stories? I mean, every drummer I know has at least five good ones. It's a never-ending backdrop of atrocity.

Classic! Why do we drummers always have bizarre public restroom stories? I mean, every drummer I know has at least five good ones. It's a never-ending backdrop of atrocity.

I don't share those stories on tha intrawebs. Pull up a chair, and a cold beverage, and I'll be happy to share a few.....

I always bring my own throne to be sure I have the right height, bass drum pedal, cymbals and snare drum and snare stand. I may not end up using them all but most often the bass drum pedal is the one that universally gets used. The rest just depends. I don't like using someone else's kit. I much prefer my own.

Last edited:

I don't share those stories on tha intrawebs. Pull up a chair, and a cold beverage, and I'll be happy to share a few.....

Bathroom are indeed a place where a lot...goes on. Better saved for another thread or a drink as Rotar mentions haha.

Not sure about other countries, but in my experience (mostly UK and a little bit in US) kit share is or at least was up until lockdown the norm at venues less than 200-300 capacity. The reason being backstage space at the venue/club is often limited and set-up time has to be kept to a minimum; also small venues often only have one set of drum mics. Sometimes, a little more leeway for self organised gigs or outdoor festivals; but even then it’s often pre-agreed, one backline kit for all bands (either a hire kit or a kit supplied by headline).

Taking a stance that no one can use your kit or that you need your own elaborate 8 tom 3 kick kit is really not an option. No one will book you if the drummer starts acting up, your guitarist probably has this behaviour covered anyway. The best option, if lower down the billing is to bring key components and switch them out. The problem is elevated when drummers use racks, racks are very hard on other drummers in that the heights are hard to adjust without some major re-engineering.

The saying treat other drummers kits as you would like yours to be treated holds true. Although some drummers are fussy /particular and others don’t care one jot.

Back