Sharing Gear at Gigs with Other Drummers

Woolwich

Silver Member
As a covers band drummer it’s not often that I’m asked to share gear or have to share my gear.
However, if I can use my gear I do.
On almost every occasion that I’ve shared my gear it’s either been against my will (I was promised that I didn’t need to share anything or just share my shell pack but this was a lie and I was then put on the spot ), inconvenienced (the drummer who played one up one down and insisted that he remove toms that were already set up and micd leaving me to build the kit up again in front of a theatre audience) or damaged ( the brand new Mapex Saturn that I had only played in soundcheck, the support band drummer who I thought knew better clamped his bass drum pedal misaligned so that it gouged a hole into the hoop. 3 years of gigging later and that’s still the only mark on my kit).
So while I have total respect for any gear that I might have to use that isn’t mine (& ALL of my gear will be in the boot of the car anyway as my default position is to use my own and not inconvenience anyone) unfortunately my experience is one of inconvenience and disrespect, so while I’m happy to help and no doubt in the future I will help, I don’t go out to share my stuff proactively.
And for full disclosure, on the occasions that I’ve witnessed sudden gear failure I don’t have a problem being first on the scene with sticks, snare or pedal unless the drummer was very obviously is “trying” to break their own gear.

tfgretsch

As a covers band drummer it’s not often that I’m asked to share gear or have to share my gear.
On almost every occasion that I’ve shared my gear it’s either been against my will (I was promised that I didn’t need to share anything or just share my shell pack but this was a lie and I was then put on the spot ), inconvenienced (the drummer who played one up one down and insisted that he remove toms that were already set up and micd leaving me to build the kit up again in front of a theatre audience) or damaged ( the brand new Mapex Saturn that I had only played in soundcheck, the support band drummer who I thought knew better clamped his bass drum pedal misaligned so that it gouged a hole into the hoop. 3 years of gigging later and that’s still the only mark on my kit).
So while I have total respect for any gear that I might have to use that isn’t mine (& ALL of my gear will be in the boot of the car anyway as my default position is to use my own and not inconvenience anyone) unfortunately my experience is one of inconvenience and disrespect, so while I’m happy to help and no doubt in the future I will help, I don’t go out to share my stuff proactively.
And for full disclosure, on the occasions that I’ve witnessed sudden gear failure I don’t have a problem being first on the scene with sticks, snare or pedal unless the drummer was very obviously is “trying” to break their own gear.
well said WoolWich, unfortunately in some levels of giging drumers, this is how it is out there. Are there drummers who borrow others equipment and respect it ? yes but you never Know ? Lets face it you dont beat a guitar with a stick !!

mikyok

Platinum Member
I'm 100% with you here mate, been in exactly the same position. I had a hole gouged in my newly rewrapped kit by someone putting the tom hoop on it and then playing a set. That was 2004, nobody has had the chance to do the same since.

In a covers situation I just say no. I'm not bothered about being put on the spot, don't have the gear don't take the gig! On the rare occasion there's multiple bands on the bill, I take my own kit. It's a 4 piece I can get on and off stage quicker that it would take me to swap cymbals/snare/pedal etc. I find you get more respect from fellow drummers when you do this.

rebonn

What do you do when the guy you just let use your kit is on stage beating the crap out of them ??
I've encountered this twice, once on my kit and another time on someone else's kit. I had to go up to the drummer between a song and warn him I'm gonna throw him off my kit if he keeps up with it and embarrass him. He was actually hitting and pushing an 8" tom on a single stand, trying to knock it over. He stopped doing it.
The other time we were playing a showcase with several bands playing the same equipment. This guy comes up and evidently didn't have any drum sticks and asked if he could use a pair. I opened up my bag and he chose the biggest heaviest 2S sticks I used for my practice pad. I told him man you can't use those and he said yeah these are good and walked away. I thought maybe he knows what he's doing and would play accordingly. Well, he commenced to beating the tar out the drum set. Heads and cymbals were ruined including my sticks. He used the butt end of the sticks and hit the cymbals so hard, he ate up my sticks to where I couldn't use them anymore. The guys drum set which was furnished by one of the drummers playing that night sat down to play and was bewildered at what he was seeing. Evidently he wasn't around when his kit was being demolished. I felt bad because in the end I enabled him to tear up another drummers kit.
I don't know what it is with some people using other people's equipment and intentionally trying to tear it up. I've heard stories from other bandmates about guitars and amps being abused as well.

tfgretsch

I've encountered this twice, once on my kit and another time on someone else's kit. I had to go up to the drummer between a song and warn him I'm gonna throw him off my kit if he keeps up with it and embarrass him. He was actually hitting and pushing an 8" tom on a single stand, trying to knock it over. He stopped doing it.
The other time we were playing a showcase with several bands playing the same equipment. This guy comes up and evidently didn't have any drum sticks and asked if he could use a pair. I opened up my bag and he chose the biggest heaviest 2S sticks I used for my practice pad. I told him man you can't use those and he said yeah these are good and walked away. I thought maybe he knows what he's doing and would play accordingly. Well, he commenced to beating the tar out the drum set. Heads and cymbals were ruined including my sticks. He used the butt end of the sticks and hit the cymbals so hard, he ate up my sticks to where I couldn't use them anymore. The guys drum set which was furnished by one of the drummers playing that night sat down to play and was bewildered at what he was seeing. Evidently he wasn't around when his kit was being demolished. I felt bad because in the end I enabled him to tear up another drummers kit.
I don't know what it is with some people using other people's equipment and intentionally trying to tear it up. I've heard stories from other bandmates about guitars and amps being abused as well.
Unfortunately Times have changed , what has to happen is drum teachers who teach students from a young age and up, need to teach respect for the instrument that they play as well as double strokes and paradittles .

C.M. Jones

Wow . . . 2S sticks on a drum set. That's like taking a baseball bat to a thumbtack. I practiced rudiments with a 2S model as a kid but never deemed them applicable to a drum set, let alone to cymbals. With proper technique, they'd likely work fine, but a basher wielding a 2S should probably be behind bars.

rebonn

Wow . . . 2S sticks on a drum set. That's like taking a baseball bat to a thumbtack. I practiced rudiments with a 2S model as a kid but never deemed them applicable to a drum set, let alone to cymbals. With proper technique, they'd likely work fine, but a basher wielding a 2S should probably be behind bars.
They were my favorite practice sticks. Some off brand I can't remember. Reminded me of Regal Tips because of the finish that was on them. I only threw them away a few years ago after keeping them for decades even with them chewed up on the butt end and having to use them that way to practice. I bought a pair of Vater 2S and don't like them at all. I'm waiting for Regal Tip to retool and work out of the Covid thing before I can try their 6S warm up sticks.

wraub

As a gigging bass player, I have seen basses and guitars shared between bands many times. Things happen, and time issues sometimes dictate behavior.
When asked, I would gladly share my "cheapazz gig P bass" , but not my ancient active 5 string.
Choices sometimes must be made. ;)

All other band members are exempt from the lend me your equipment thing, except the drummer. well said Pootle !!
Would the guitarist hand over his/her beloved Les Paul Custom to some guy in the metal band waiting in the wings?