"Shake Your Body" groove

rhumbagirl

Might as well start a dedicated thread for this groove. All discussion is in terms of a trad-grip, right-handed player, playing on a right-handed drumset.

So here's the open-handed version of Chad Wright's groove:
Code:
|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|
|R               |                |                |                | Crash
| L LL L L L   L |LL LL L L L   L |LL LL L L L   L |LL LL L L L     | HH
|           R    |           R    |           R    |           R    | TT
|    R       L   |    R       L   |    R       L   |    R       L RL| SD
|       R        |       R        |       R        |       R        | FT
|x       x       |x       x       |x       x       |x       x       | BD
| o+ o +         | o+ o +         | o+ o +         | o+ o +         | HHfoot
And here's the new incarnation, using the RH to help out the LH on the HiHat:
Code:
                ------- use RH on the HiHat here ---
               |  |             |  |             |  |
               v  v             v  v             v  v   
| L LL L L L   R |RL LL L L L   R |RL LL L L L   R |RL LL L L L     | HH

rhumbagirl

Because the HiHat foot closes on the '&' of beat 2, you don't really need the LH there either. So if we take it away we get:
Code:
| L LL   L L   R |RL LL   L L   R |RL LL   L L   R |RL LL   L L     | HH

rhumbagirl

Finally, if we take away the LH on the HiHat (simultaneous with RH on snare) on beat 2, we get the following. It is slighty different, in that the open HiHat isn't hit on beat 2 anymore, but is now on the 'e' of beat 2, but the overall effect sounds the same:

Code:
|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|
| L L L  L L   R |RL L L  L L   R |RL L L  L L   R |RL L L  L L     | HH
And here's what the hands are doing (if you wanted to clap this out with your hands on something ... Shake Your Body is at 116bpm per quarter note):
Code:
|1...2...3...4...|
|RL LRL RL LRL R |

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

And because the open-handed option frees the dominant RH, we can add the double hit on the tom and floortom.
Code:
| L L L  L L   R |RL L L  L L   R |RL L L  L L   R |RL L L  L L     | HH
|           RR   |           RR   |           RR   |           RR   | TT
|       RR       |       RR       |       RR       |       RR       | FT
And the sticking:
Code:
|1...2...3...4...|
|RL LRL RL LRL R |
|        R   R   |

or

|1...2...3...4...|
|R   R  RR  RR R |
| L L L  L L L   |

rhumbagirl

How do you make this little drum tab that you do?

I've only seen it ever from you on this forum haha.
It's the Code insert tool (just right of the emoji insert tool). FYI, the notation works good for describing limb coordination for drumset, but I wouldn't want to use it for making sight reading charts. Maybe DW can create a music staff insert tool. Have a grid on the staff to place notes, and have the tool determine note value based on distance to the next note (ie in grid points).

I'm glad you like the tool. I personally wouldn't mind the Shake Your Body groove tattooed in fixed-width Courier font around my right bicep! Take care :p

NouveauCliche

It's the Code insert tool (just right of the emoji insert tool). FYI, the notation works good for describing limb coordination for drumset, but I wouldn't want to use it for making sight reading charts. Maybe DW can create a music staff insert tool. Have a grid on the staff to place notes, and have the tool determine note value based on distance to the next note (ie in grid points).

I'm glad you like the tool. I personally wouldn't mind the Shake Your Body groove tattooed in fixed-width Courier font around my right bicep! Take care :p
Oh ok cool - I just assumed there was some neat software out there I wasn't using (which I know there is because I'm currently using NONE haha) that was allowing you to export into a fun forum friendly format - which struck me a very niche option.

I think I missed all the discussion on this but it seems hard to re-produce live because of all the layer/over dubs.

I ran into this problem not with a cover exactly but I toured with this singer song writer that had done a lot of the drum programming on a pad - so she was explaining how she was tapping this open hat part with her fingers on midi-pad which was super easy for her to do, but a total pain to replicate live due to the odd nature of where the hats were opening and closing.

Luckily I just youtubed it and that whole video where Chad breaks it down is really cool - the internet is wild. Deceptively tricky!! Good luck!

brentcn

Platinum Member
These examples miss the open hi-hat on beat 2. If the right is playing the back beat on the snare, then the left has to play in unison on the hi-hat. Since the left is already playing on the "a" of beat one, then you need two quick lefts here, using a bit of Moeller technique in order to give beat 2 some emphasis.

GOOSE72

rhumba that looks like a bar code on a package to me. I thought guitar was technical and drumming was fun and not really geeked out. Guess I was wrong. You guys go I'm learning from you. Appreciate you all.

NouveauCliche

rhumba that looks like a bar code on a package to me. I thought guitar was technical and drumming was fun and not really geeked out. Guess I was wrong. You guys go I'm learning from you. Appreciate you all.
Oh man - drumming can be the most technical of all!

It's all subdivisions....literally math! :geek:

GOOSE72

Oh man - drumming can be the most technical of all!

I failed math in High School. I don't count when I play, don't use my left foot to keep time, I write right handed and bat left handed, I shoot left handed, I throw a baseball right handed and catch left handed. Huh. I may need to re group on this. Appreciate you.

C.M. Jones

You're on to something there. Though my sight reading is a tad rusty, as I don't need to call upon it much these days, I do read music pretty well and can decipher most transcriptions if you give me a few minutes to work with them. That's not my preferred means of learning stuff, though. I'm much more auditory than visual. What I hear makes sense to me in seconds, and I retain it easily. Incidentally, I don't like math, which is quite visual, but I've found over the years that a lot of drummers who favor transcriptions are also lovers of math. There must be a relevant connection.

rhumbagirl

It’s a tough groove, I played around with it this morning.
Did you find my "barcode" notation helpful? The sticking notation I thought was useful, since it kind of trains the upper limbs on the general coordination of the piece, and you can practice it with just your hands too.

rhumbagirl

These examples miss the open hi-hat on beat 2. If the right is playing the back beat on the snare, then the left has to play in unison on the hi-hat. Since the left is already playing on the "a" of beat one, then you need two quick lefts here, using a bit of Moeller technique in order to give beat 2 some emphasis.
I mentioned that in post #2

But the 'e' of 2 also catches the open hihat before it closes. There _is_ a slightly different sound.

I verified I can switch between '.L.L.L' and '.L.LL.' with ease. One Moeller motion out of one bar is definitely doable.

My next step is to record against their drumless track and see if it grooves. Sometimes nothing sounds as good as brute force straight 8ths on the hihat.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Did you find my "barcode" notation helpful? The sticking notation I thought was useful, since it kind of trains the upper limbs on the general coordination of the piece, and you can practice it with just your hands too.
I just watched the video. I’m really used to reading regular musical notation and/or learning licks from watching videos. LOL But it’s a good system of notation, I just don’t have experience using it.

rhumbagirl

I failed math in High School. I don't count when I play, don't use my left foot to keep time, I write right handed and bat left handed, I shoot left handed, I throw a baseball right handed and catch left handed. Huh. I may need to re group on this. Appreciate you.
Well it's meant to be used by some of you here on DW that want something described in an explicit unambiguous manner, for whatever reason, whether you're baby brand new, or you just want the tattoo HAHA. Enjoy!

rhumbagirl

I just watched the video. I’m really used to reading regular musical notation and/or learning licks from watching videos. LOL But it’s a good system of notation, I just don’t have experience using it.
Challenge: Design a drum rhythm that spells out "Google". LOL

The thing I like about the notation, besides providing a mechanism to share, is you can isolation limbs to practice against each other.

rhumbagirl

Chad explains the groove here:
I'm curious though what Chad would think of my version of it, especially the open handed style lending to a more freer RH for the double-hit on the toms. Open-handed playing also lends to better fills when marking phrases. As soon as I can get my drums tuned and mixed right, I'll post a video - easier said than done.