Severe Headaches after Drumming Gigs

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
OP was from 2012- hopefully he's got it sorted by now
Still an interesting topic though. I have personally never had a headache generated from playing drums. Everything else ache, yes. Stupid getting old.

toddmc

Gold Member
Still an interesting topic though. I have personally never had a headache generated from playing drums. Everything else ache, yes. Stupid getting old.
I kind of had the opposite issue when I used to play gigs. Sometimes I'd have a headache but it would stop while I was playing and come back during the breaks.

Not that I was playing Wembley stadium or anything but I thought maybe the adrenaline while playing provided an intermittent cure?

Chris Whitten

A big cause of headaches is tension, especially around the neck muscles.
My hunch is you are too tense and not relaxed when playing. I have played many loud gigs and suffered hearing damage, it never resulted inj actual headaches, just ringing. Not good! In any case, it is a must to get yourself proper hearing protection.
It's hard to diagnose the tension when playing thing. For most it's unconscious.
Maybe and a very experienced drummer to sit near you and watch a show, or hire a drum teacher to do likewise.
You might not tense up in a lesson or practice situation, so it should be done at a gig.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I must remember to check dates to see who is digging up history

Otto

Platinum Member
I would throw in and suggest anyone experiencing this check where they are sitting in relation to amplifier speakers.

Keep 'em to your sides...never behind you.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Could be loud noise induced migraines- noises and bright light can induced them in some people, but it could mean underlying disease . Even the odors can trigger migraines .