Settle an argument please

I always release the snares and drop the hats. It makes sense to me that it will be beneficial to release tension when not in use - and it stops unwanted noise too.

Down-to-earth as always Brother! He should simply run a drumkit pre-check...instead of starting up a fight with the other drummers! :*)

Is there anything to be settled?

If a drumkit is used by more than one drummer, it's very likely that something might not be to your exact liking, just check the kit before playing, no real issue here as far as I see it :)

The other user(s) might think the same as you, why do you leave the snares on and hi-hat open?

I leave the kit in the setting it happen to be when I finished playing, snare's wires might be on or off, it depends, but I always check before playing on my next session :)

Snares off because of snare buzz, not for extending the life of the snares or bottom head. If you want to preserve the life if the heads, it would make sense to de-tune all of the heads as well, if you follow the same logic.

At least he's not changing the configuration of the kit every time. THEN there might be something to complain about, but only if it was your kit that you left set up, and if you had a sign posted to not change the configuration, or at least change it back when they're done playing.

Snares off is the least of your worries. At least it's a quick and easy fix, AND you know to expect it. As far as extending the life of the snares, there *might* be some validity to that argument, but it would seem that the disengaging/re-engaging of the snares would do more wear and tear. I have no empirical evidence to support or disprove that claim...

I don't do either, and I've never noticed any ill effects on either my snares or my hi-hat springs.

+1.

I store all my snares with the wires engaged. I think the argument about preserving the longevity of the snare side head is fanciful at best.

But I also don't get upset if I find communal drumkits with the snares off and the hi-hat loosed.

+1 again.

As to the broader issue. Who cares how he leaves the snare wires?
This sounds much like the argument my wife likes to make over the toilet seat. I'll say the same thing I say to her. If it's up, then put it down.......it really isn't a big deal.

Couldn't engaging and disengaging the snares wear out the throw off? (Just asking) I really don't know about you question. Snares and heads are so cheap and last a good bit, does it really matter? At rehearsals i turn them off because another member might be at the space playing and the buzz is annoying. At home i will do whatever. I share a kit with my 9 year old son. You never know what you may find. I just cross my fingers and hope for the best. I have come home to all my drums detuned. I wasn't mad. I was happy he was exploring tuning options

I leave the snares under tension when transporting, as it reduces the chance of snagging something.

Other than that, I haven’t noticed any bad effects of leaving snares on or off for extended periods of time. Bottom line: probably not worth worrying about.

Checking snare wires and hihats is always the very first thing I do when
I sit behind a drumkit, whether it's my own or someone else's.

I don't throw off the snares during a song, as I think any possible sympathetic
buzz kind of "belongs" there because it's my instrument, and it won't buzz more
just because I'm not playing.
I would throw them off between songs, but not during a passage where I don't play.

well, if they're stretched to hell, then it doesn't matter about preserving them. given the snare wires' age, i think that safe to say. i've had my 16 strand puresounds on all three of my snares for years. i turn them off between songs, when guitarists are tuning and frontmen are chatting up the crowd, they're switched off during set breaks and when i store them in their bags for transport, same for the hats… i think have stretched my dollar, but not my snare wires and hi hat springs :)

I turn off the snares at church so that there will be no unwanted noise during the service. I leave the hats "on" because they do not make any noise like that. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

Puresound states on their website that engaging and disengaging the snares shortens the life of the wires by 23 ten thousandths of a second with every strainer release.

:)

I heard 24 ten thousandths of a second but that was years ago. Things may have improved over time. If the buzz bothers him turn them off. As for lasting longer, Nah. Most snare releases have cams not springs. Leave them on

I never release my snare wires and never drop the hats. My high hat stand is almost 14 years old and my snare wires were about 10 when I decided to change them. There was nothing wrong with them just thought I would try some different ones. But I do see how snare buzz could be a problem in church during a sermon and I really dont see what the big deal would be to having to turn them on and adjust the hats each time you play. I would think if your sharing a kit with another drummer you would need to adjust the snare wires and hat spacing to your own liking anyway even if he didnt turn the wires off and drop the hats.

The reason I disengage the snares is to prevent them from ringing.

I don't see his point about the head life though, but you should disengage them because it's extremely annoying when the pastor or whatever is speaking and the snares are rattling in the background.

If your snare wires ring you have a unique problem. Most of them buzz.")

What is the reason for dropping the hats? So no one can make sound with them? If so do you remove the kick pedal beater as well? And the sticks?

The hi hat spring is relaxed when the cymbals are apart, so leave them alone. Jeeze

Back