Setting up recitals for students

I'm wondering if there are any independent teachers on here (like myself) who have experience setting up recitals for students. I would like to take a more professional approach to my lessons and offer this kind of thing not just for the student but for the parents as well. I feel like recitals would be a great way to motivate students to practice and to focus on a given topic and also encourage students to concentrate more on time keeping and accurate playing. The trouble is I'm not really sure how to go about setting up a recital. If anyone has experience doing this or advice I'm all ears!
Thanks

How about coordinating something with a jam night at a club? Maybe earlier in the day if it's for underage students. But if a jam night is already in place, maybe you could have a slot of time blocked out (it wouldn't have to be that long) where the student jumps in on the set. You could tell the organizer, "These are the tunes we're working on and here's the tempo range." Then when it's their time to get up, the bandleader calls one of those tunes out of a hat and away they go.

Nothing like playing under fire in a realistic situation!

I've been to a few as a parent. My son's drum teacher taught in a few schools as well as privately. He held an end of year concert in the mini theatre at one of the schools, and sent invites home to all the parents. He ran two concerts - one at 6 and one at 7.30, and we selected which concert our child could attend.

Approximately 15 performers in each concert, most on kit, sone with backing tracks, some without, plus some snare drum solos and also a couple of group/ensemble items.

It motivated the students to polish their pieces for the performance, and the parents were happy to see their kids perform. Also the beginners got to see the advanced players.

I do one every year in June

I usually have 25 to 30 of my 58 or so students perform ... but all.. or at least most .. attend
I like for the younger more inexperienced students to watch the more experienced perform.

right after Christmas break we buckle down and start preparing for the performance

each student plays one tune with live musicians

we occupy a local performing arts center for the evening and pack it up with family and friends of the students

I supply refreshments ... usually just bottled water ... little finger sandwiches and maybe some cookies or whatever

I've been doing it for about 10 years

the first bunch of years it was just me on guitar and the student on drums ... but in the last few years I have had friends come in and form a complete band for the student to play with ..

the students and their families absolutely LOVE it ... they talk about it all year

the kids for the most part choose their piece and we orchestrate it accordingly

a few years ago I had 4 students get together and prepare a Drum Corps. piece ... we treated it as a half time show to the band stuff and it went over really well ... the audience erupted after ... great stuff

and sometimes a student will perform alone .. maybe playing "For Big Sid" or a solo piece like that ... but for the most part they play with the band ... it is more comfortable for most who can be slightly nervous

we play every and all styles of music and the recital is absolutely part of the reason I have an enormous waiting list of students

the parents get an absolute kick out of their kids being a rock star for the day and it makes my month to see the kids faces fill with pride

so lock down a venue and start spreading word of mouth

usually about 2 or 3 weeks before the performance I will send a flyer home with the kids and thats it .... every year the room is full

these kids get more out of things like this than they even realize at first

you and your students will very much enjoy it

keep me posted

Wow Anthony that's really awesome-I bet it's popular amongst students and family. Man with "58 students" where do you find time to play and gig? I remember at one point you were entertaining using Skype for lessons???-I guess no need with such demand.

I do one every year in June

I usually have 25 to 30 of my 58 or so students perform ... but all.. or at least most .. attend
I like for the younger more inexperienced students to watch the more experienced perform.

right after Christmas break we buckle down and start preparing for the performance

each student plays one tune with live musicians

we occupy a local performing arts center for the evening and pack it up with family and friends of the students

I supply refreshments ... usually just bottled water ... little finger sandwiches and maybe some cookies or whatever

I've been doing it for about 10 years

the first bunch of years it was just me on guitar and the student on drums ... but in the last few years I have had friends come in and form a complete band for the student to play with ..

the students and their families absolutely LOVE it ... they talk about it all year

the kids for the most part choose their piece and we orchestrate it accordingly

a few years ago I had 4 students get together and prepare a Drum Corps. piece ... we treated it as a half time show to the band stuff and it went over really well ... the audience erupted after ... great stuff

and sometimes a student will perform alone .. maybe playing "For Big Sid" or a solo piece like that ... but for the most part they play with the band ... it is more comfortable for most who can be slightly nervous

we play every and all styles of music and the recital is absolutely part of the reason I have an enormous waiting list of students

the parents get an absolute kick out of their kids being a rock star for the day and it makes my month to see the kids faces fill with pride

so lock down a venue and start spreading word of mouth

usually about 2 or 3 weeks before the performance I will send a flyer home with the kids and thats it .... every year the room is full

these kids get more out of things like this than they even realize at first

you and your students will very much enjoy it

keep me posted

Astounding! This isn't just advice for recitals. This is how you raise an army!

Back