Seth Davis Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andSometimesY

A few questions:

• Seth's technique is supposed to be better than the Moeller technique, but he doesn't really explain his technique on the DVD? Is that what you're saying?

• I have been seeing $40 in some of the posts, but his website sells it for $60. Is there a place you can get it for $40, or was that a pre-order price?

Jeff
1. Unfortunately, he doesn't go in to detail concerning his technique. He shows you the directional motion that his wrist makes and tells you that the stroke starts from the bicep, but that's pretty much it. He doesn't really demonstrate the stroke.

2. I'm not sure what the $40 thing is about. I paid $60.

I don't want to defame Seth or anything, he is a really nice guy and a phenomenal drummer. Having said that, I wish he would go in to a lot more detail on his technique for $60.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
How does he expect you to achieve the speeds he professes without teaching you the technique? That's disturbing.

JPW

Silver Member
He shows the basic wrist motion of a french grip and just notes that his biceps do something. He doesn't talk about how he accents but the way I see him do it he just makes a louder stroke with the same technique. So if you check for example Chapin's video about moeller he shows exactly what the weakness is when doing accents without moeller. You can't play fast and have powerful accents at the same time without moeller. I think Seth's DVD is good example of that. Sure, he plays those accents but the faster he plays the more those accents sound like regular strokes.

I might remember the price incorrectly. I think I paid something like 45 euros for it. So it might have been 60 dollars. Either way, it's waaaay to much for any of this. Think about it, how many books and DVDs you can get with 60 dollars? And only thing that was new with this product was those solos in the end of the DVD and they weren't even that interesting (/musical).

JPW

Silver Member
That seems weird to me, wouldn't the tricep be the muscle involved in the movement of a stroke mainly(downward)?
If you do a radius-ulna-rotation with your wrist your bicep will contract slightly. I don't know if you can really draw any conlcusions from it though. Besides, you _could_ use moeller from french grip too.

Kosmische

Seth did say:

I don't own the video, but is everything at 250? I can't seem to understand why something would not be shown at a tempo that is conducive to learning. Maybe someone who owns it can shed some light on it. I have been thinking about adding it to my collection, but I want to make sure that it will benefit my students as well as me.

Jeff
Unfortunately having bought this DVD recently, I have to say I agree with what SickRick said earlier. I also think Jeff in particular who I've quoted, has hit the nail on the head. At the risk of sounding unkind, I thought the message conveyed in this DVD could have been set out on an A4 sheet of paper, maybe double-sided, but that is being kind.

As little more than a beginner, or rather an amateur who's been stuck at a basic level for too long, I really wanted something to help me practise single strokes properly and efficiently. The disc shows him 'blazing' (from my perspective) away so I have no idea what he's actually doing. I don't know why he didn't adopt the usual approach of showing the exercises at varying tempos to let people like me keep up.

Also someone mentioned a book - my disc came in a very basic CD-type cardboard case with nothing but the disc inside - certainly no book. Does my description match what other folks who bought this DVD got? Have to say I might not have been so critical if there had been a book so I could have kept up with what he was doing.

I really don't like having to be so critical of a product that someone obviously put a lot of time and effort into; and if it was made clear previously that this item is not for beginners or for intermediate level players then I might not have been so negative. But I had high hopes for this disc and have been left very disappointed.

Al (the frustrated drummer)

JPW

Silver Member
My DVD was shipped with a small booklet that seems like it was printed with a black and white laser printer. =P He should have at least included a pdf with the DVD. If I lose my booklet now it's forever lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.