Session on Friday

drummingbulldog

I did a session on Friday 5/28/21 & was told there was a kit & not to bring anything. So hearing those famous last words many times over the years with auditions/open mics/sub gigs etc., I elected to bring some snare drums, cymbals, drum throne & kick pedal. I know better...

I got to the studio & the kit was nice & tuned well. It had full cymbals & great throne. Everything worked flawlessly. It was as if I had set the kit up the night before in prep for the recording.

I've been playing in the studio since 1986 & never have I had my expectations exceeded in that way. In a studio that's the equivalent of having a roadie for a live gig.

Turns out that the studio is co-owned by a drummer I know who has a DW sponsorship. All I did was swap out the purple Paiste cymbals for my Sabian/Zildjian set up. Awesome experience!

Al Strange

I did a session on Friday 5/28/21 & was told there was a kit & not to bring anything. So hearing those famous last words many times over the years with auditions/open mics/sub gigs etc., I elected to bring some snare drums, cymbals, drum throne & kick pedal. I know better...

I got to the studio & the kit was nice & tuned well. It had full cymbals & great throne. Everything worked flawlessly. It was as if I had set the kit up the night before in prep for the recording.

I've been playing in the studio since 1986 & never have I had my expectations exceeded in that way. In a studio that's the equivalent of having a roadie for a live gig.

Turns out that the studio is co-owned by a drummer I know who has a DW sponsorship. All I did was swap out the purple Paiste cymbals for my Sabian/Zildjian set up. Awesome experience!
That, my friend, is unicorn sh@t... the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!! What an amazing story!! Good for you! :D (y)

ottog1979

I know better...
Funny, I just had an experience that reinforced the "know better" rule. Played a 45 minute set in a multi-band event in Long Beach Saturday. "Back-line kit provided, just bring foot pedal, snare, cymbals & throne." Just to be sure, I tossed an additional two cymbal stands, HH stand and snare stand into my gear box. Used them all. The back-line kit was a 1970's Rodgers, OK enough, but so were all the stands - passable but super tweaked, rusty & corroded. It was just easier to mount up all my stuff on my own stands.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I used to do studio sessions here in town at a small studio, and the drumset looked awful...beat up, rickety stands...but it sounded great going to tape and in the headphones. The engineer there definitely had it dialed in the way he wanted it.

Otto

Platinum Member
A studio to return to!

drummingbulldog

Yep. Going back to track more tunes on Saturday.