Serious Design/Manufacture Defect - Ddrum Dios M

sjczildjian

I have recently upgraded my Ddrum Diatribe to a Ddrum Dios M. So far I have had the following problems:

Shells out of round by 3mm or under
Bearing edges out of true (very slightly)
Hoops holes in the wrong place
Brand new heads not sitting flat on the bearing edges
Kick drum tension rods not quite long enough
Cracks in the clear top coat
No "PASS" stickers on the inner shell
Kick tension rods are not parallel with the shell

Is this the kind of quality we should expect from well established drum manufactures. Ive had 2 Ddrum kits prior to this and they were perfect!

I have contacted Ddrum stating my issues. What can I expect back? One thing is for sure, Im not paying to send it back from the Australia to the states... Im stating to think this is a counterfeit Ddrum kit! What else can I do?

Artstar

Platinum Member
Yeah.. that sounds definitely like a lemon somebody was trying to get rid of. Did you get a great deal on them ??

uniin

Gold Member
Im stating to think this is a counterfeit Ddrum kit! What else can I do?
i think you should take photos with a measuring tape etc, showing all these defects and demand for new shells.. as long as they were bought brand new you should be able to get a replacement

sjczildjian

Yeah.. that sounds definitely like a lemon somebody was trying to get rid of. Did you get a great deal on them ??
Haha. Yes, I actually did. I asked him to take the high rack tom, snare drum and all hardware out of the package. I only needed the 3 shells. So I got them for USD750 delivered to Australia...

sjczildjian

i think you should take photos with a measuring tape etc, showing all these defects and demand for new shells.. as long as they were bought brand new you should be able to get a replacement
That would involve me sending the drums back to the states. Shipping will almost cost what the drum kit itself does... Ive asked Ddrum already, they just said "talk to your dealer".... Seriously crap customer service.

uniin

Gold Member
That would involve me sending the drums back to the states. Shipping will almost cost what the drum kit itself does... Ive asked Ddrum already, they just said "talk to your dealer".... Seriously crap customer service.
where did you buy it from... because my local retailer (penrith's drummania/high street music) he would get the job done for me easially..

?uesto

Silver Member
Come on man. Every customer service ive ever dealt with are crappy. This is my 3rd Ddrum kit. All the others were perfect - But this one... Hmmm.... not good.
Customer Service is one thing. Crappy/defective drums is another. There are no companies that compare to the quantity and [poor] quality of bad D-Drums we've had to service. There's a reason we don't stock them. They're just so poorly built, [for the most part], and as a semi-long term investment, (anything more than 6 months), I wouldn't drop a dime on D-Drums. Supposedly their electronics are great, but I'm yet to try them.

As far as owning three kits by them, I'd say that you're pretty lucky.

sjczildjian

Customer Service is one thing. Crappy/defective drums is another. There are no companies that compare to the quantity and [poor] quality of bad D-Drums we've had to service. There's a reason we don't stock them. They're just so poorly built, [for the most part], and as a semi-long term investment, (anything more than 6 months), I wouldn't drop a dime on D-Drums. Supposedly their electronics are great, but I'm yet to try them.

As far as owning three kits by them, I'd say that you're pretty lucky.
Ive never had a problem though. One of my friends has a Diatribe and he has had no problems either. After speaking with DDrum, I found out that the Dios and Dominion have different manufactures from all of their other kit... Maybe this is the problem!!

uniongoon

Gold Member
Australia has the coolest wood selection in the world. Strip the shells, have a marshmallow roast, get a local to build a set of shells to your spec, use all the ddrum hoops and hardware. This will save huge off the cost of owning a custom high end drumkit like no other.

EddieRich

I've got a dominion maple kit and, I did have a couple of problems which I firmly believe were inherent but caused by the original shipping (from manufacturer to supplier) however, after a bit of a nightmare and a wait, it all got sorted out very much to my satisfaction and the kit is in working order (one tom repaired, snare replaced) and I cannot fault the kit. It sounds great (decent heads of course).

The 13" tom had a crack on the inside and the snare was cracked right through to the edge but not the lacquer. You can see the images (and read my intense rant) on my website. To my (experienced) eye, these were caused by transit damage at some point before reaching the shop (I picked them up from the shop myself). I don't think they're manufacture faults.

Before buying I tried LOADS of different kits out and those that sounded the best for what I was after, were DDrum. All the kits I looked at were spot on manucfacture-wise from what I could see.

And before I get a roasting or told that I didn't try and decent kits then, I owned a Pearl Masters Custom kit before this so I'm not a complete numpty. I tried tama, gretsch, sjc, pork pie (this was the close second for me), mapex, highwood and more.

Just my view.