Senri Kawaguchi

She’s terrific, I wouldn’t compare her to Vinnie (the most accomplished drummer alive) but she’s still great.

Actually guys, I spent some time to analyse this live performance in detail. She's incredibly fast but never heavy, never messy, even in improvisation. Her incredible punch comes from suppleness not brute force, like strikes in martial arts. While her play is youthful and spontaneous, her precision is always perfect regardless of the complexity (a solo on Blue Rondo a la Turk!). What we've got here is the combination of 15 years of hard Japan style discipline at work and an amazing musical sense, all delivered with the freshness of a young lady with no particular heritage to drag.

Senri-san is not the best drummer of her generation, she is not the best drummer in the world, we could well be looking at the best drummer of all times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvEBp2qGHYU

Senri-san is not the best drummer of her generation, she is not the best drummer in the world, we could well be looking at the best drummer of all times!

Ehm... no. First of all, music is not an athletic event. And even if it was, I doubt she´d even qualify for the Olympics.
Sure, she´s got chops. But - please forgive me - I haven´t heard anything musically worthwhile or original or even remotely interesting in her playing. IMHO it´s just generic fusion stuff, very well executed, but... boring. Just my point of view, of course.

Ehm... no. First of all, music is not an athletic event. And even if it was, I doubt she´d even qualify for the Olympics.
Sure, she´s got chops. But - please forgive me - I haven´t heard anything musically worthwhile or original or even remotely interesting in her playing. IMHO it´s just generic fusion stuff, very well executed, but... boring. Just my point of view, of course.

God, I'd love to be that boring.

Some more girl power, yay :)
I had never heard of her, found her just browsing recordings on my favourite drum shop website.

Here is Senri at age 15 playing the Brecker Brothers Some Skunk Funk with her little friend Kanade Sato (skip the first minute, it's just the MC lady talking)

Last edited:
Up

Back