Semi-OCD thread: Yamaha pedal help

joshvibert

I hope you guys will humor me and my OCD tendencies with another topic:

I own and enjoy using the relatively lightweight Yamaha 700 series hardware. This is coming from having been a die-hard DW 5000 and 9000 user; the weight just became more that I was willing to put up with. My hi-hat stand is the Yamaha HS-740A, which uses the footboard with the black chevron pattern in it.

(here comes the OCD part)

I'm wanting to upgrade my bass pedal(s) and it is important to me that the footboards match between the hi-hat stand and bass pedal(s). I'm also looking at taking my first plunge (after 20 years of playing) into a double pedal. The footboard that my hi-hat stand uses has been discontinued on Yamaha's bass drum pedals, but is still in use on all but their higher-end (and heavier) hi-hat stands. Does anyone else use Yamaha hardware and have the same issue? How have you overcome it? I'm keeping my eyes peeled on ebay, GC used, and Reverb.com for a Yamaha DFP8215 or FP8110. I prefer to have a single chain but am looking to upgrade to a solid footboard from the FP7210 (wire hinge) design I currently have.

Thanks for the help and if any of you have either of the pedals I mentioned that you'd like to get rid of, please send me a PM.

ETA: these are the footboards I'm looking to match:

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

wildbill

Platinum Member
Looks like you've got the master side of a double foot pedal there.
Find a matching single pedal, and get yourself a drive shaft and you're all set.

ncc

Silver Member
That is OCD. :)

I'm curious about the light weight stands. Are they really light like aircraft aluminum or just lighter then heavy duty stands.

I wish i could help with the Yamaha pedals.

Now for some humor: You realize, of course, that by going to a double bass pedal, you are going to have another OCD issue in that the beaters are not going to be centered. Axis has actually made a video on this (in jest) to promote their pedal dock (the pedal dock, seriously, is really good btw). So you could go all AXIS - HHat and Bass drum pedals. and get the doc and have no OCD issues whatsoever. :) :)

Tommo

The older style footboard is now only used on the FP7210A single pedal and the HS650 & HS740A hi hat stands. ALL Yamaha mid to high end pedals and hi hat stands use the newer style plate. The only choices you have are;

-Purchase the new model of pedal (FP8500C or FP9500D/C) and hi hat stand (HS1200).
-Purchase a second hand older style Yamaha pedal.
-Deal with having different foot plates.

I don't believe you can integrate the old style foot plate on the new pedals as they have different spacing at the hinge and the new style may be slightly longer.

Good Luck.

opentune

Platinum Member
yep i'd say this is very peculiar, but is not OCD at all. OCD is way over-used.
good luck in your search for matchee matchee.

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
OP says its semi-OCD. This, to me, indicates that he sub-consciously views it as a problem. Time for your lobotomy.

Oh, and if you're unable to just get a slave pedal, buy a new Flying Dragon pair. Should match the requirement.

double_G

Silver Member
i wanted to chime in about the current Yamaha pedals after cutting my teeth on the 700 & 900 series pedals in the late 80s.

i LOVE my FP8500B (belt / strap drive). completely logical upgrade especially if you like lighter pedals. i also didnt like the DW 9000 solely based on weight. the FP8500B is fast, does swivels & hell-toe great...nice & long board & light but well built. sorry if i sound like an ad, really biased on this thing as i went thru 4-5 pedals in 1 years trying to find THE single (got tired of eBaying vintage parts for my old Yamaha).

the new HS1200 hi-hat stand is also THE baddest HH stand i have ever owned. ridiculous everything & i was most impressed by the splash control in found w/ it. makes my Jazz ballad playing seem legit.

joshvibert

i wanted to chime in about the current Yamaha pedals after cutting my teeth on the 700 & 900 series pedals in the late 80s.

i LOVE my FP8500B (belt / strap drive). completely logical upgrade especially if you like lighter pedals. i also didnt like the DW 9000 solely based on weight. the FP8500B is fast, does swivels & hell-toe great...nice & long board & light but well built. sorry if i sound like an ad, really biased on this thing as i went thru 4-5 pedals in 1 years trying to find THE single (got tired of eBaying vintage parts for my old Yamaha).

the new HS1200 hi-hat stand is also THE baddest HH stand i have ever owned. ridiculous everything & i was most impressed by the splash control in found w/ it. makes my Jazz ballad playing seem legit.

I'm not opposed to upgrading the hi-hat stand to match the newer pedal footboard, but how heavy is the HS1200? My DW 5000 was ungodly.

joshvibert

T
I don't believe you can integrate the old style foot plate on the new pedals as they have different spacing at the hinge and the new style may be slightly longer.

Good Luck.
This is something I was wondering as well. Thanks!

GeoB

Gold Member
Or, purchase a bass drum with matched wrap but of a different size, thereby adding another tone to the kit, and throw an additional favorite pedal on it....